First and current favorite manga...and why.

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Windallion

First and current favorite manga...and why.

Post by Windallion »

Greets everyone!

Ok, no hedging, no complaining, no rationalizing (like: well I like this for this reason and that for a completely different reason)…I want your first favorite manga, and your current favorite manga. Then tell me why they were/are your favorite.

So for the mathematically impaired…that is TWO titles (or just one if your first and current are the same). Not three because you just can’t pair it down…two. Your first and your current favorite. Simple, yes?

First favorite: Oh My Goddess! I just fell in love with the artwork. I picked up pretty early in the American run from Dark Horse, so it was still being flipped, but it was also late enough in the run to have all the characters worked out. I couldn’t get enough of it. Still a big source of eye candy for me, but I am SO ready for the story to go somewhere.

Current favorite: Dance in the Vampire Bund. Yup, I’m so into this title right now that the wait between volumes is almost physically painful. While I like the artwork a great deal, it’s the story that really has a hook in me. I love books that are more than they appear to be on the surface, and this one has fit that bill so far.

So now it’s your turn to dish.

Windallion
Take care when fighting monsters, that in the process you do not become a monster yourself. For when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Ryokosha
Hidden Lawsuit

Re: First and current favorite manga...and why.

Post by Ryokosha »

First favorite: Love Hina there was something about the story and artwork which I had not seen before which drew me in and kept me eagerly waiting the next volume.

Current favorite: This one is a lot harder but I would have to say Pig Bride there is a certain innocence about the story which is hard to describe. (not manga as it is manhwa I know and in that way leaves my favorite manga open to many possible choices)
It gives one a great sense of satisfaction to do it in perfect unison. Michelle Cheung

CMB

Post by CMB »

My first was Space Pirate Capt. Harlock. As to my current favorite that is a hard one to answer. Just for now I will say Vagabond, as I love the way the story is turning at this time.

Parallax

Post by Parallax »

"Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon" is my current favorite manga, "Area 88" was my first contact with manga. Among others. :-B

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Fruits Basket.

Saiyuki's a very close second.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

sanzo

Post by sanzo »

First? It was either Love Hina or Saiyuki

Favorite? It's between Yotsuba&! and Bunny Drop

Yuzu: "Ugh... I knew mentioning it around Otakuro would be a bad idea..."

Atsuro: "Otakuro!? What's with that all of a sudden...? What's wrong with being an otaku!?"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ F*CK THIS TABLE.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

I have watched anime for a very long time, but mostly for extreme lack of availability, I came to manga very late.

My first manga purchase was a several volume grab of Ranma 1/2, Berserk, Bleach, and Rurouni Kenshin as I recall. It has rapidly expanded from there. Picked up Ranma because I always enjoyed Takahashi's stuff and I think this one is my favourite. Berserk because I saw the anime and wanted to find out just what the Hell happened since it looks like they are never continuing the series. :ymtongue: And the other two for much the same reasons.

Can't really come up with a clear favourite though.
Last edited by Azrael on Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

My first real mangas were love hina and chobbits. the current mangas iam following are Kodomo no jikan (for the characters and plot i swear!) and fairy tales.

I wanted to follow tsubasa chronicles but it's gotten a bit...convulated at a point. I'll go back later.

I mostly follow webcomics.
Last edited by Tenjen on Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

sanzo

Post by sanzo »

Tenjen wrote: the current mangas iam following are Kodomo no jikan (for the characters and plot i swear!)
And saying that makes no one suspicious that's the real reason :p

Yuzu: "Ugh... I knew mentioning it around Otakuro would be a bad idea..."

Atsuro: "Otakuro!? What's with that all of a sudden...? What's wrong with being an otaku!?"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ F*CK THIS TABLE.

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Tenjen wrote:My first real mangas were love hina and chobbits. the current mangas iam following are Kodomo no jikan (for the characters and plot i swear!)
Suuuuuuuuuuure... :p
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

I forgot to post my first one: Sailor Moon, back when Tokyopop was mirroring images to make them in a western style.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

FedeII

Post by FedeII »

My first favourite was Blame. I had already read some mangas, but none of them ever beat my best books (i've always been a voracious reader), except maybe for a draw got by the first...say ten volumes of Naruto, until i read Blame!. That really made an impression. The art was amazing, the building magnitude, volume, complexity (Nihei is an architect) created an obscure, oppressive atmosphere. Very few dialogues, but there was a sense of travel, of necessity, of hope that i really liked.
Current favourite is 20th Century Boys. Actually, i love and hate it. The first half (some after the New year's eve) is a true masterpiece: very very rarely i've seen better plot, characterization and mistery atmosphere. There are so many themes, a lot of spontaneous question, both a sense of power and melancholy, and it's original, at least in relation with the average jump manga (which still are often very enjoyable, don't misunderstand!).......but then! the second half (actually, more like the last 2/5) . Argh. I think the author got a bit lazy and didn't study back to his creation, because this part is a lot inferior to its previous. Too many question stay unanswered or hastily (and so badly) resolved. Let's be clear, 20th century boys is still a manga much higher than average, but not the masterpiece it could have been. A pity. [the actual ending of 20th is in 21th century boys, i consider them one manga].
"Not the love for Justice can unite us, but hate for Injustice"

Federico Stella

sossossos

Post by sossossos »

:-B

I do really know that =))

Big D

Post by Big D »

First one I really got into was either Urusei Yatsura or Ranma. Possibly Battle Angel Alita. Look, it was a while ago,ok?

Current favourite - Girls of the Wild's
Teenage boy is not enjoying his life. His parents are dead(father) or run off (Mother) so he's having to support his younger brother & sister and dirt poor. Transferring to a new school he discovers to his alarm that a. he is the only boy and b. the entire school is full of top class martial artists.
Oh and the girl that he bumped into on his arrival? The one he spilt his breakfast all over?
The most feared fighter in the entire school.
Really loving this one at the moment as it does all the martial-arts school cliches quite well, skips happily back and forth between drama and comedy and the girls in the series don't use the hero as a punchbag everytime he looks at them funny.
I wibble on about books, Heavy Metal and other stuff Here

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

First manga i read was Dragon Ball (literally the first manga that came to Denmark, we got anime/manga really late. It was about 2000-2001 i think.) and then Ranma ½.

Current manga i'm reading...uhm... *looks at the huge stack of unread mangas* Samurei Deeper Kyo, Naruto, Gravitation, Yu-gi-oh, Vampire Game, Magic Knight Rayearth and Inu Yasha.
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.