ITT War Never Changes

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Why is the Enclave so awesome?

Total votes: 0

Lord Styphon

ITT War Never Changes

Post by Lord Styphon »

On the heels of my popular Touhou discussion thread and the discussion it generated in the current and previous Legacy thread, this forum now contains a Fallout thread for the cool people to talk about Fallout games.

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

What great timing. I was looking for a place to comment on how I totally missed the release of Point Lookout. I keep spending money... but this one looks too good to pass up. Plus, I still have one level left.

Here's hoping Mothership Zeta raises the skill level cap so that my skill books are no longer worthless.

UPDATE: I have started Point Lookout. So far, it seems awesome. More details to come. I will say that I'm glad to get some repair material for my non-energy weapons, though. Even though my metal blaster is vastly superior to most other weapons, it's still fun to use Ol' Painless and Lincoln's Repeater to do sneak-sniping with pinpoint accuracy.

UPDATE II (to avoid the double-post): I finished the main quest for Point Lookout yesterday. Trippiest Fallout 3 experience to date, and an improvement over the Pitt, in my opinion. I was a little disappointed in the weapons and armor category, but they did add a good group of enemies and characters. I found Broken Steel to be a bit better, though.

I'm eagerly anticipating Mothership Zeta.

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

And just as a heads up, Mothership Zeta is now out.

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

OH SHI-

I figured that I should give it some time so that the inevitable bugs could be fixed.

But maybe that's a stupid idea.

I'm also worried, though, because I burned through the main parts of Point Lookout in about three days. And the equipment and perks I got were a little disappointing. I mean, The Pitt had the Metal Blaster and Perforator. Those were awesome. Point Lookout had nothing of the sort. Alien weaponry on the other hand promises much fun.

UPDATE: I went ahead and got Operation: Anchorage as well as Mothership Zeta. Because this is the only way to get back to a balance of 0 Microsoft Live points. I know that I'll probably never use them for anything else, so even if I don't like these add-ons as much, at least It'll be better than letting my extra 5 dollars rot in the hands of Microsoft for no good reason.

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

That's good, since Operation: Anchorage gives you such useful things as the Gauss Gun and, even better for sneaky characters, Chinese Stealth Armor. It's fun to creep through the Wasteland and pick which fights you want to fight. Never worry about an ambush again!

Having now finished Mothership Zeta, the Destabilizer is now my favorite weapon. Base damage of 162, boostable by 20% with MZ's solitary perk, and, unlike most other energy weapons, is fully automatic. The 100 round capacity is nice, too.

Oh, and there's a katana, too. Weeaboos rejoice.

I'll probably have to get Point Lookout soon. Maybe after I finish Broken Steel.

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Damn. I'm starting this game tonight. And yeah, the stealth armor and Gauss rifle were the main reasons I wanted Operation: Anchorage. I just felt stupid shelling out $10 for a couple of items. But then again, this IS Fallout3, and the epic sneak attack criticals would probably be worth it. And I paid $10 for Kingdom Hearts, and that was probably less entertaining on many degrees than reverse pickpocketing Talon company mercs with grenades without them noticing me.

I highly recommend Point Lookout. I must say that I wasn't incredibly impressed with the weapons it gave (which is disappointing, as that was one of the greatest parts of the other DLC), but the characters are actually memorable and the environment is a good-sized, explorable environment. Which is what I really wanted the other DLC to be (coughTHEPITTcough). But I guess I can't have everything...

Oh, and Point Lookout gives you the single, trippiest Fallout experience I have ever witnessed. It is not to be missed.

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

The sneak attack criticals from the Gauss Rifle, sadly, leave something lacking in VATS, at least against large things like Deathclaws. In the Sanctuary, it took usually me three VATS shots to down one, even with the first being a sneak attack critical. Then I found myself surprised by one walking up on me, shot it outside of VATS, and killed it with one shot. Go figure.

Also, those aliens are real bitches to kill.

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Oh, that's interesting. I never use VATS for my sniping, and I try to get sneak attack criticals outside of VATS (which is why I love weapons with 0 spread like Ol' Painless and Lincoln's Repeater, because they allow for headshots more accurately than VATS itself). This way, I have full AP for when they run towards me (assuming that they're still alive). The thing for Deathclaws, though, has to be the Dart Gun. It makes them essentially harmless as long as you don't run into their face. But you can run into their face as long as you bare-fist them with paralyzing palm. Which was my early game strategy before I discovered just how epic the Dart Gun was. In fact, I believe I cleared the sanctuary using only a Dart Gun and the Terrible Shotgun.

Also, I've found that the best thing for all types of Radscorpions is the combination of the Dart Gun and Shiskebab. Hitting them with a flaming sword knocks them back and slowly whittles away at their health. I haven't lost to an albino radscorpion yet thanks to this method.

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Lord Styphon wrote:I'll just leave this here.
Any word on the game mechanics? If it's like Fallout 3 but better, I'll probably faint from joy.