What got you into Anime?

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

MuchachoNL
Menace to Society

Re: What got you into Anime?

Post by MuchachoNL »

I distinctively remember part of an episode that triggered my interests before the Gundam game and DBZ shows on TV (Didn't even know it was anime, as they were aired Englished dubbed, so I thought of it as a 'cartoon' just like Batman and Amazing Spiderman).

It wasn't patlabor (I just checked) so I think it was one of the first Gundam... the part I saw was a boy in the middle of a warzone, stumbling into an empty mobile armor suit, climbing in his leg and then becomes the pilot of the suit.

I think that's really the one that planted the seed :) And after Vampire Hunter D. I was completely sold. :)
Freudian Slip: When you say one thing, but mean your mother... err... another.

Sahrimnir

Post by Sahrimnir »

For a long time I thought that Sailor Moon was my first anime. Then I discovered that Speed Racer is an anime and realized I had watched that before I watched Sailor Moon. After Sailor Moon, there have been a number of anime series that I have watched when they aired on Swedish TV like Pokémon, Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Beyblade. There might be more, but those are the ones I remember.

Among Swedish anime fans, the common opinion seems to be that "Sailor Moon doesn't count". Since we all watched the Swedish dub, most kids who watched it just thought of it as another cartoon. The question asked is more often "what was your first anime that you actually watched and thought of as an anime?" I'm not sure. I might actually have been aware Sailor Moon was an anime when I watched it. Anyway, the first anime I got ahold of on my own rather than watch on TV was Neon Genesis Evangelion. I bought the first few DVDs and watched them. I'm ashamed to admit I still haven't finished NGE. Back then I only had a certain amount of money and there were other things that drew my attention (and my money). It's still on my "to watch"-list, but I haven't gotten around to it.

If you're asking about my first manga, however, that is a much simpler question. It was Dragon Ball. Though I don't remember how I found out about it or started reading it.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Battle of the Planets (1978)
then
Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamoto) 1980
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Hunter_Rose

Post by Hunter_Rose »

Well that's cool Radbaron I thought I would be telegraphing my age by saying that "Starblazers" and "Robotech" were what got me interested in anime. I think it was the fact that people actually died in anime instead of ducking or parachuting out at the last minute that piqued my interest (I remember how the death of the captain in "Starblazers" effected everyone back in middle school). Back in the day (1980's) I remember watching G.I. Joe with my friends and we would try to catch animator mistakes where they missed a pilot or driver jumping out of an exploding vehicle. Guess that's also why I preferred Transformers to G.I. Joe. I should also note that "Warriors of the Wind" was the point of no return and by that time I was starting to collect the mangas the anime was based on. I was finally able to purchase the Disney re-dub of Warriors in 2004 and now totally understand why Miyazaki sent the katana to Gaimen when he wrote the script for "Princess Mononoki". I discovered Hentai after I graduated from college and I've been pretty warped ever since. Still get some startled looks when I wear my Pfil t-shirt to coffee shops.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

I don't know if anyone is watching the new Star Wars:Rebels from Disney. But in the first episode, in the opening sequence, I counted 13 Stormtrooper /Tie pilot deaths. From Disney. And this is a "kids" show.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

lukevm89

Post by lukevm89 »

Haha EASY. Dragonball kicked it off, then came Gundam, Bleach, a little Guyver inbetween, and Naruto gave me the final push (or better to say "thrust") into anime/manga :)

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

In this order:

Sailor Moon -> Pokemon -> Dragon Ball Z -> Yu Yu Hakusho -> Trigun -> Fullmetal Alchemist.

Started off childish, became immersed in "I'm angry rawr" and then moved into anime with story and plot.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I thought I had posted in this thread before, but scanning through it I was wrong. Huh.

When I was a kid living up in Philadelphia, we would often get this signal from channel 17 coming out of Delaware. It play exclusively these old programs that it got on the cheap, a lot of black and white shows and old cartoons. So, I started out casually watching Speed Racer but it was another show that engaged me a lot more... and it's rare that I encounter someone else who knows of it. It was called Marine Boy, and looked like it was by the same animation team that did Speed Racer. He was the son of a scientist that lived in an underwater station, and was equipped with this chewing gum that produced oxygen when he chewed it so he could go about underwater without a mask, a special skinsuit with propellers set into the heels so he zips about in the water, plus an underwater boomerang. His sidekick was a dolphin named Splasher and a mermaid girl named Neptina.

After that, I followed a similar route to RadBaron. Battle of the Planets, then Star Blazers. After that, in the early days of HBO they played the animated Galaxy Express 999 quite a lot, and I was glued to the TV every time I caught it. By the time Robotech came around, I was already hungry for more anime - it just seemed like the first time it grew really popular to me.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)