What got you into Anime?

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

guillx

Post by guillx »

usual stuff: digimon pokemon, dragon ball(manga) escaflowne
it's the art style that got me in

Euphenia

Post by Euphenia »

My sis brought home the first disc of fruits basket when I was in the third grade and I loved it and eventually started watching alot of anime!

catstigereyes

really

Post by catstigereyes »

Robotech.. from the early 80's back when it was on tv. I noticed unlike Gi-joe where no one ever died. In Robotech people did enmass in battles sort of like in real life. as well as enjoyed the plot lines and threads of the story.

Much latter a freind was liveing with a freind from japan he watched Ranma 1/2. I now own 7 seasons and two movies of Ranma 1/2 and also enjoy Inuyasha by the same person as well as many other titles.

PR3DAT0R

Post by PR3DAT0R »

... A cartoon. Avatar: The Last Airbender. Thinking it's an anime, after I've watched it, I posted it in an anime & manga thread on a forum I usually visit... There, I was explained that it's a cartoon, and introduced to Strawberry Panic, which I had decided to watch... And now I watch all kinds of anime every day. ^^

Dai

Post by Dai »

Cooking Master Boy was my introduction to Animé.
I started rooting for series with lots of (high quality) action like Hellsing, Read or Dream, and Cowboy Bebop.

Zadenwings

Post by Zadenwings »

Well I would have to say it was more like a manga then it was an anime. It was Immortal Rain. I love it so much. So after I followed it with Love Hina., and then the birth of my love for animes, and mangas was born.

Akinai
Hair-Triggered

Re: What got you into Anime?

Post by Akinai »

Erm... That's a good question, I'm not really sure. I believe the first time I got into anime is when I watched Escaflowne (when it was a tv series on Fox Kids before it died), and then slowly progressed as I watched Toonami on Cartoon Network. Then I upgraded... lol
[img]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c31/Akinai/Akinai.png[/img]
[color=#9789E1]Set made by Meself 83[/color]

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

When they ran Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) on morning TV back in '79/80. Haven't looked back since.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

yiraheerai
Peach Fuzzball of Doom

Post by yiraheerai »

Started with the horrible dub of Cardcaptor Sakura on whatever channel it aired on. (Fox?) Then I met some friends in high school that talked about Gundam Wing and got hooked.

Mostly into manga now, though.
A mask, any mask, whether horned like a beast or feathered like an angel is the face of immortality. Meet me in Cognito, baby. In Cognito, we'll have nothing to hide. - Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

A friend showing me a few DBZ books got me hooked on manga. (First real manga/anime that came to Denmark around 2000-2001 i think. :p)

After that it expanded into anime starting with Love Hina, Ranma ½, Ghost in the Shell: the movie and Elfen Lied.
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

old school anime called Ghostsweeper.

ah ghostsweeper. So many things better than you but i still love you <3
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

SilentChaos87

Post by SilentChaos87 »

Watching Sailor Moon and Dragonball Z on Toonami weekdays at 5.
Tropemaster General
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward, Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition.
As a gamer I acknowledge and respect those who play for fun. So long as they acknowledge and respect that I also play to win.

Ecchi-Spud
Wielder of the Remote

Post by Ecchi-Spud »

Azrael wrote:When they ran Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) on morning TV back in '79/80. Haven't looked back since.
That's the show I credit as my first proper introduction to anime, even though it wasn't the first anime series I ever watched. I seem to remember a few other programs I was watching before Star Blazers, and I remember watching Battle of the Planets before as well (even had a lunchbox for that show in second grade). However, for years I couldn't remember any of those shows (couldn't even remember the title of Battle of the Planets until after I got re-interested in anime); probably because they didn't re-run any of them. Star Blazers, on the other hand, got plenty of re-runs during the early 80's where I was at (when they stopped showing it, is about when I started to watch Voltron). And it really was the first cartoon series where I became aware of its origins, and that it wasn't originally from America.

My second introduction to anime (or, where I got re-interested in it) was when I moved to the DC area. One of the first stores I went to was a small video game store called Starland; in addition to games (import and domestic), they also had lots of anime tapes for rent. I would just rent anime tapes and watch over the weekend; Ghost in the Shell, Macross Plus, Evangelion, OMG, Key the Metal Idol, etc. Then I started getting hooked on the works of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli (still have the old VHS copy of Kiki's Delivery Service). By the time The Vision of Escaflowne finally arrived, I was pretty much hooked. Been that way for well over a decade now.
Many thanks to Raamyah for the avvie!!!!

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

In Dubai it was the local English channel playing ninja robots on tv. Does saber rider and thstar sheriffs count?

During summers in India, axn played ghost sweeper, this one anime with giant robot crab enemies, alien black blood innocent princess in the heroes time, bike mecha and angel tech jet fighter mecha. No idea of its name. Others too but I remember them even less. Ghost sweeper was a big influence though. Major crush on Reiko Mikami at the time.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

I have to admit, at one time, I did think of anime as "those weird cartoons with all the big-eyed kids." I think I started to get broken in with Powerpuff Girls, which wasn't anime, but got me used to seeing big-eyed characters and liking them. It was also the first place I heard Tara Strong (then known by her maiden name, Tara Charendoff), who went on to voice Raven in Teen Titans. TT really indoctrinated me into the anime culture as the closest thing I've seen yet to true American anime. From there, I moved on to Adult Swim, and Bleach, FLCL and Code Geass. Since then I haven't looked back, and have enjoyed a variety of shows on many different subjects.

P.S.: If you didn't know, Strong is the voice of Twilight Sparkle in the beloved/reviled (depending on who you ask around these parts) My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner