How anime affects your life?

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dose anima affect your life?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:21 pm

Total votes: 0

Reven

Post by Reven »

Peregrin wrote:
Reven wrote:
Lord Styphon wrote:How do you define "imagination being allowed to go wild" and "stagnant"?
I feel that manga can be about anything as long as their is an audience. People that read manga seem to be more approachable with different material versus western influenced artists. For the most part most american comics still deal with mutants, and superheroes. You might have some that don't but theres less of them when compared to those who do. That's what I mean by calling it stagnant. Many artists as well as people in America look down on work that has a manga influence. It's starting to change gradually but it still continues. For the most part a person can create a manga based upon anything and it's excepted as long as their is an audience. The stories seem more diverse than what I see here.

@Peregrin: I liked DBZ for a while but yes it's very stagnant and the powers of the cast became absurd. However there are plenty of manga that can make up for what another has done. I'm speaking upon the manga overall not just one title. I've watched some American cartoons over the years but most of the good ones are no longer around. Watching old episodes of my past favorites could work however.

As a side note I know that this thread is for anime but I feel the same about anime and manga versus american cartoons and comics.
Horrid grammatical errors aside, I feel that you offer a rather vague and weak argument. You say that there are plenty of manga that can make up for what others have done. This is very much true in the same sense with American cartoons. Likewise, any idea will be accepted for American cartoons if there is an audience. In fact, this is true in almost any genre of art. Because an audience equates to the power to sell. Unless there is some political or societal issue attached, most ideas that sell well are allowed to exist.

Oh, and most shounen manga deal with superhumans just as American comics do. They're actually quite similar in many aspects.

While both shonen and manga have superhumans, shonen has a far larger range of abilities. Many of the cartoons and comics heavyweights are Marvel, DC, ACME, and Disney. For the most part they use the same characters and give them a new look. Quite frankly I grew tired of seeing the same material. The stories may be different but it doesn't cut it for me.

Zerodaimu

Post by Zerodaimu »

Oh. Oh, that's <i>rich</i>. Variety, in my shonen manga?

Reven

Post by Reven »

Zerodaimu wrote:Oh. Oh, that's <i>rich</i>. Variety, in my shonen manga?
That all depends on what your shonen manga is. Even if american and shonen manga involve the same (base) powers, I find manga to usually add a more interesting twist to it.

Euphenia

Post by Euphenia »

Anime helps take me out of my own crappy life into someone's who has an adventure. Manga and Video Games do that as well.

guillx

Post by guillx »

Reven wrote:
Lord Styphon wrote:How do you define "imagination being allowed to go wild" and "stagnant"?
I feel that manga can be about anything as long as their is an audience. People that read manga seem to be more approachable with different material versus western influenced artists. For the most part most american comics still deal with mutants, and superheroes. You might have some that don't but theres less of them when compared to those who do. That's what I mean by calling it stagnant. Many artists as well as people in America look down on work that has a manga influence. It's starting to change gradually but it still continues. For the most part a person can create a manga based upon anything and it's excepted as long as their is an audience. The stories seem more diverse than what I see here.

@Peregrin: I liked DBZ for a while but yes it's very stagnant and the powers of the cast became absurd. However there are plenty of manga that can make up for what another has done. I'm speaking upon the manga overall not just one title. I've watched some American cartoons over the years but most of the good ones are no longer around. Watching old episodes of my past favorites could work however.

As a side note I know that this thread is for anime but I feel the same about anime and manga versus american cartoons and comics.
I kinda feel the same as reven, american cartoons today really suck, of course there were good ones such as batman and various fox kids stuff, nowadays it'S all computer animation wich horrible drawings and they show absolutely nothin worth to watch or even creative.
It is also true that most american comics simply deal with superheroes and mutants, if not it's stuff like archie... While in manga you have sports, ninjas, comedy, romance, and even stuff like ''slice of life'' and the list goes on....

oh and peregrin wrote '' most shonen manga deal with tha same powers as superheroes in american comics'' or something like and you see, he said ''shonen'' this is like one out out of many more manga genres there is! American comics dont have half of these genres

catstigereyes

time time time!

Post by catstigereyes »

Anime takes time out of life! as someone who has seen now over 100 anime and some of them more than one time. TIME, matter of fact to prove this point i have gone through my collection of anime and added up the minutes those anime run. Seeing that a box set with 600 minutes takes like 10 hours to play out and seeing as i own 70+ box sets though some of those have run times of only 300 minutes. If one dose the math 600 minutes is like 10 hours of your life and then 300 minutes is like 5 hours of your life. Then take shows like Ranma 1/2 seven seasons and 4106 minutes your start to get the idea of time. Though to be honest it was time well spent much like my books. I spent good amount of my life reading anything really. not just manga either! though i am into that as well. Now take into account for tv and movies and good lord! I enjoy watching stuff reading stuff and love anime. could it be that simple? It all boils down to time and I think it was time well spent! though that is just me.

Alexnekomimi

Post by Alexnekomimi »

that's part of the reason i took Japanese class...im a geek that hates dub anime...gotta love subs though :catgirl:
i am catboy hear me meow!!!

MEOW

or nya, yeah nya works too ^v^

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Alexnekomimi wrote:that's part of the reason i took Japanese class...im a geek that hates dub anime...gotta love subs though :catgirl: