[VC/PMS] The VC's Heel Face Turn, and Lori Becoming a Mary Sue

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Would you want to be turned into a Hominus nocturna?

Yes
No votes
No
50%
Maybe/Don't Know
50%

Total votes: 2

tau neutrino

[VC/PMS] The VC's Heel Face Turn, and Lori Becoming a Mary Sue

Post by tau neutrino »

Since the Zoom Comics forum has been locked, I'm continuing the poll from this post, "Would you want to be turned into a Hominus nocturna?", here. I got the idea from this page's observation that "In some fiction, vampirism is nothing more than a lifestyle choice; since these vampires get extended life, superhuman strength, and still have great sex from just a few drops of blood each night, it's difficult to understand why anyone stays human." Since the VCs get that plus resistance to sunlight and no aversion to cold blood, it's a wonder that they aren't the dominant cryptid or even the dominant lifeform on earth. Books like The House of Night and Strike the Blood! avoid that by not letting their vampires be able to reproduce, but since Stephanie refers to "however many other zillion" Lori's sired, maybe vampires are dominant in the 27th century.

The epilogue goes along with the turn from the pro-human PMS to the pro-cryptid VC that I mentioned. There's a subtle impression that Charlotte is more like a faithful servant or supplicant getting rewarded than a friend. The only one Stephanie seems to see as an equal is her fellow cryptid Lori. After Steph pulls her gag on Charlotte, Steph and Lori share a smile, then Steph tries to get Peter to "Tell mommy how hot she is!" Lori seems closer to Stephanie than to her "makers", even telling Steph to give Katie hell.

Hyper Magi

Re: [VC/PMS] The VC's Heel Face Turn, and Lori Becoming a Mary Sue

Post by Hyper Magi »

It's hard to say. Females are infertile I believe, does the same apply to males? I'd probably like to raise a family sometime between now and eternity after all. Sure there's adoption, but a vampire adopting a human child is just begging for that child to become a hunter. That's usually how those stories go, right? I'm at the age where I wouldn't mind my aging stopping/slowing down. Though how long would it take until that lack of aging becomes suspicious? "I just have good genes!" can only go so far. Well I do enjoy traveling at least.

Overall.... maybe? There's a lot of little factors I wonder about that wasn't quite mentioned in the story.

Was Charlotte really treated like that though? It's been a while so I don't remember exactly how that went down. Though yes, there really needed to be a "Yeah, sorry for almost killing you" scene somewhere. >_> Perhaps that would have been in the book we never got.
Sparking now, search within your soul to find the answer!
Push yourself to the edge, give 1000%!

tau neutrino

Re: [VC/PMS] The VC's Heel Face Turn, and Lori Becoming a Mary Sue

Post by tau neutrino »

Hyper Magi wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:40 pm
It's hard to say. Females are infertile I believe, does the same apply to males? I'd probably like to raise a family sometime between now and eternity after all. Sure there's adoption, but a vampire adopting a human child is just begging for that child to become a hunter. That's usually how those stories go, right? I'm at the age where I wouldn't mind my aging stopping/slowing down. Though how long would it take until that lack of aging becomes suspicious? "I just have good genes!" can only go so far. Well I do enjoy traveling at least.

Overall.... maybe? There's a lot of little factors I wonder about that wasn't quite mentioned in the story.
Females are infertile by Word of God, but for males it's almost certainly like the case with Summerfield's father. He may or may not have been a Hominus nocturna, but they're at least as close to human as he was. Depending on how Peter survived into the 27th century, you might watch any children grow old and die.

At the beginning of VCiS&T, vampires were openly attending school and college with guards, so suspicion might not be too much of a problem. 10 years later, Theodore got parole after committing mass murder. At the 27th century, vampires seem to be at least as accepted as humans, if not dominant.
Hyper Magi wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:40 pm
Was Charlotte really treated like that though? It's been a while so I don't remember exactly how that went down. Though yes, there really needed to be a "Yeah, sorry for almost killing you" scene somewhere. >_> Perhaps that would have been in the book we never got.
Here's p.220 and p.221.

She wasn't treated worse than Katie, which was the point. It's the power dynamic. Pre-abduction, Stephanie teased Katie, was possibly tsundere for J.C., and threatened Lita. Charlotte, though, was her high school friend that she treated as an equal and confidant. Now Char has to depend on Lori to get the Key to Chronopolis and Stephanie to de-age her. Lori seems to have taken her place. The second panel on p.221, is what I was talking about, with Stephanie and Lori as mirror images, implying equality while enjoying Char's embarrassment. Like I said, it's subtle.

Lori refers to Charlotte as "Mrs. Summerfield" and we don't see them interact, so we don't know what there relationship is. Ironically, the only face-to-face apology was from Katie to Lesley and Zoe for ruining their prom, showing the switch from the pro-human PMS to the pro-cryptid VC. The PMS is even treated as a joke in the theme park, except for the cryptid Lita.