Favorite Anime

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Weertangel

Re: Favorite Anime

Post by Weertangel »

Well, i don't have time to read it all through again(its 5 volumes btw) but the most inportant thing aside from Minny May's mariage is Goldie's return and Rally quitting the Bounty hunting.
Conserning my New favorite anime, atm its Hatarki Maou-sama!
Just watched the latest episode(11) and it gave quite some background on Suzuno and an Angel giong after Emilia! ended with a cliffhanger so can't wait!!

Titan

Post by Titan »

My favorite anime of all time is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Its use of brilliant and detailed animation combined with bombastic action and political and psychological intrigue make it an endlessly enjoyable anime for me. That, and it was the first anime I ever saw and that kick started my future love of anime.

My favorite manga of all time is Mahou Sensei Negima. Combine humor, action, fantasy, and great illustration from Ken Akamatsu and you have something brilliant. Then again I was already a fan of Ken Akamatsu at the time considering I liked his previous work Love Hina. It's because of this that Ken is one of my favorite manga creators. Although technically the manga part wasn't part of the question but what the heck.
Thereupon he rose, beyond the pillars of Hercules.
The monstrosity erupted from Poseidon's grasp and held the fiery beacon.
Through pain a torture, the colossus lit the way for the weary travelers.
Beckoning their stay upon the shores of Rhodes, giving peace to those who suffer.

Hurbster

Post by Hurbster »

It's still Record of Lodoss War.
"We're only immortal for a limited time. " - Dreamline.

Choos

Post by Choos »

My favourite anime of the moment is Log Horizon.

Hard for anything to truly beat Full Metal Panic but Gundam gets it on volume!

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

My Latest fave is Heaven's Lost Property. Nymph is just SEW KYOOT!!!
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

Weertangel

Post by Weertangel »

After hearing alot of good stuff about Log Horizon i went and watched the entire serie and love it! even more so since i'm a MMO player myself and have been in some of situations they get in, altrough i find the class balance rather bad(like WoW meets D&D with some Diablo classes mixed in.) but the characters are fun to watch(especially Akatsuki when she's getting harassed again..) and the story(altrough starting slow) becomes very interesting!!

Can't wait for season 2 later this year!!

I'm also watching LH predecessor Maoyu,who so far is also interesting altrough the fact that everyone has no normal name but only titles is rather stupid at times...

Commentary

Post by Commentary »

I stopped watching anime after the 1990s. Only one Ive seen thus so far.

" Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex"

Where sci to go to now? Anime included?
It used to cutting edge and provoking. Now very cliche.
.........all that remains are Drugs and Alcohol!

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Commentary wrote:I stopped watching anime after the 1990s. Only one Ive seen thus so far.

If it's cutting edge, thought provoking, anime you want, there's plenty to choose from (in alphabetical order):

edgy anime: the ones in this group fall under any of the following categories: film noir, cyberpunk, sci-fi, crime/mystery/detective.
  • 'Akira'
  • 'The Big O'
  • 'Bubblegum Crisis'
  • 'Gunsmith Cats'
  • 'Macross Plus'
  • 'Phantom Quest Corp.'
  • 'Robotech'
  • 'Tenchi Muyo OVA* + Movies 1-3'
thought provoking anime: these are either philosophical, or political thrillers, or deal with the supernatural.
  • 'Fractale'
  • 'Patlabor Movies 1&2'
  • 'Patema Inverted'
  • 'Please Save My Earth'
  • 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time'
  • 'The Place Promised in our Early Days'
  • 'Toward the Terra'
  • 'Voices of a Distant Star'

Weertangel

Post by Weertangel »

U should add Bakemonogatari to that list as well.

Commentary

Post by Commentary »

I am not sure if I could watch something supernatural although I like the flash show.

I didnt like Big O
Tenchi was fun to watch with my friends but now well hey why you think Im here for?

There was this one about economics and a demon queen err king.

Another about people stuck in a video game

I am not sure if I could stand to watch any thing supernatural.

Akira wasn't very good on film due to a lot of it being edited out. Great for visuals but bad story line where the comic better if you wanted a story.

Not anime related but there was only movie and book that fit their respective mediums and that was fight club.
Gotoh wrote:
Commentary wrote:I stopped watching anime after the 1990s. Only one Ive seen thus so far.

If it's cutting edge, thought provoking, anime you want, there's plenty to choose from (in alphabetical order):

edgy anime: the ones in this group fall under any of the following categories: film noir, cyberpunk, sci-fi, crime/mystery/detective.
  • 'Akira'
  • 'The Big O'
  • 'Bubblegum Crisis'
  • 'Gunsmith Cats'
  • 'Macross Plus'
  • 'Phantom Quest Corp.'
  • 'Robotech'
  • 'Tenchi Muyo OVA* + Movies 1-3'
thought provoking anime: these are either philosophical, or political thrillers, or deal with the supernatural.
  • 'Fractale'
  • 'Patlabor Movies 1&2'
  • 'Patema Inverted'
  • 'Please Save My Earth'
  • 'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time'
  • 'The Place Promised in our Early Days'
  • 'Toward the Terra'
  • 'Voices of a Distant Star'

Weertangel

Post by Weertangel »

Well,if supernatural i'st your thing, then others i can recommend are Log Horizon,a story about ppl getting stuck in a world that looks like the game they used to play,not much action but good story.

And if u like romantic comedy i would suggest My Little Monster about a girl who loves to study that gets stuck with a rather weird(but talented) guy in her class.

If u like Mecha anime i would also suggest Break Blade. a good action serie about a guy who get stuck with his own mech that only he can drive even though everybody else has magic powers and he has't :/

So go check em out :)

Commentary

Post by Commentary »

Im still wondering about the one where people got stuck in a game.

Its on cartoon network late at night I think I forgot its name.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

.hack//sign ? Or do you mean 'Sword Art Online' ? :-\

Commentary

Post by Commentary »

The later but now watching
http://www.crunchyroll.com/yamishibai-j ... man-641887

Thanks for helping.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

My favorite anime is Bible Black.

Just Kidding. :p

Seriously though I think my favorite anime is probably Trigun. Panty and Stocking is probably a close second with FLCL rounding out for third favorite. I also liked Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, DBZ (who doesn't like DBZ?), Haruhi Suzumiya (first season only) and Goddamn it Trigger give us a sequel to Little Witch Academia already!