Favorite Anime

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Re: Favorite Anime

Post by Ravenhull »

Life is so hard... ;)
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

HammerZ2008

Post by HammerZ2008 »

I like alot of what was posted about so far. One of my all time favorites is Dirty Pair. Both Adam Warren's comics (The Dirty Pair) and the japanese animes (Original Dirty Pair), Quite different look but both still top of my list. Dirty Pair Flash is interesting as well. I just like stuff with a big kaboom in it somewhere.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Without going into specifics (this time :p), I'll mention some of my all-time favorites.

- Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit
- Scrapped Princess
- Princess Mononoke
- El Hazard: The Magnificent World
- Patlabor: The Mobile Police
- Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
- Macross Plus
- Bubblegum Crisis

Patton
Location: Terran Empire, California Province, Earldom of Orange

Post by Patton »

I have always been particularly partial to Galaxy Express 999...yay, Maetel!
The antediluvian kings colonized the world
All the Gods who play in the mythological dramas
In all legends from all lands were from far Atlantis

Donovan, Atlantis (1968)

Harroe

Post by Harroe »

I tend to like comedies because I'm often using anime/manga/any form of media to relax. After working I don't usually want to come home and see something tragic or anything that will keep me on the edge of my seat. With that being the case, I have two anime in the comedy category that rank pretty high. That would be 'Ouran High School Host Club', and 'Gintama'. I suppose 'Gintama' is a rather mixed bag since there are occasions where it becomes surprisingly preachy and serious, but I even like those moments.

There is an anime series I like that does have a lot of action in it though. I really like 'Sword Art Online'. It may not be entirely accurate with game mechanics, but I enjoy the character interactions and the fact that the main male and female character don't pretend to not love each other through most of the series. Instead they get married and act comparatively mature to other anime main characters about half way through the first season. I get tired of characters going through the "Maybe I love you...wait, I changed my mind...well actually..." phase. 'Sword Art Online' was good for not dragging me through that nonsense.

MuchachoNL
Menace to Society

Post by MuchachoNL »

You all know I'm a huge Narutard and One Piece fan.
And even Death Note and Hellsing Ultimate OVA were good to watch several times over.
But now I've got a new Anime that's got me by the cojones: Zetsuen no Tempest.

I won't spoil too much, and the first episode is hard to get into, but once you're there, you're hooked... or at least I was.
It's a fairly new anime, but also a short one: Episode 21 should've been aired on Tokyo TV yesterday, and it's a total of 24 or 25 episodes.

Basically it's about magic, with only one clan of mages who serve the Tree of Genesis.
Secretly they've been scheming behind the Princess of Genesis' back (embodied spirit and Guardian of the Tree of Genesis) to resurrect the Tree of Exodus: Its arch enemy.
Two normal boys get caught in the middle of this battle as their hometown is stricken by the "Black Iron Syndrome" where all lifeforms turn to metal, except for the ones who are in the vicinity of magic users or magical talismans.

I won't say any more, I'll let you be the judges.
Freudian Slip: When you say one thing, but mean your mother... err... another.

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

Err... hmmm, well the anime I've liked enough to purchase probably encapsulates my favorites.

In no particular order:
Tenchi (OVAs and Universe)
Outlaw Star
Angel Beats
Trinity Blood (as a cosplayer, I hate this anime, the costumes are so amazing and I can't produce anything near that)
Hellsing Ultimate (I liked the non-canon show too, I know that makes me a heretic or something)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (Only reason I could afford the box set is that I worked for a dealer at a con for five hours on a friday, it was actually a lot of fun)
Infinite Stratos (the anime equivalent of junk food, not much substance but man I enjoy a binge now and then)
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

You're supposed to hate the non-canon show if you liked Hellsing Ultimate? Ops... i never got that memo. :p

We can be heretics together then. ;) XD
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Nonsense. There were plenty of cannons in Hellsing. [-(
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Collarnorcrown

Post by Collarnorcrown »

TellusEidolon wrote:You're supposed to hate the non-canon show if you liked Hellsing Ultimate? Ops... i never got that memo. :p

We can be heretics together then. ;) XD
I got a copy of Hellsing (Non-Canon) from a buddy in Pensacola Florida many moons ago, this was the slow start of my second anime awakening. By the time I got tentatively involved in the hive of scum and villainy that makes up any given fandom I was informed that the only use for the TV show is as a target for bile cannons... but the NC show has Mr. Big's "Shine" as the EP! And that's awesome! Sure Seras is way less of a pansy in Ultimate and that's something to be celebrated but it's really hard for me to care when cute girls are dragging field artillery around. http://media.animevice.com/uploads/0/36 ... _super.jpg

It's my two favorite things in one place!
"The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything."
Friedrich Nietzsche

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Walter will always be my favourite character in Hellsing.
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Nev

Post by Nev »

'Another' is a great one, I haven't been watching a lot of anime lately, but I couldn't tear myself away from this one.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

let us remember....

Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

One of my first, and still favorite, animes.
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Tenjen wrote:let us remember....

That one's no.5 on my all-time favorites list (at the top of the page). \M/