Steven Universe

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Re: Steven Universe

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Steven Universe returns May 12th!!! It all starts with a special 30 minute episode. It seems like maybe the people at Cartoon Network realized that waiting until June was perhaps too long of a hiatus after all.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

So, TWO episodes of Steven Universe tonight - "Super Watermelon Island" & "Gem Drill"!

These two episodes collectively saw Steven further expand what seems to be a psychic ability that was only hinted at back in "Chille Tid". Then, he was making mental contact with Lapis Lazuli while he dreamed. In "Watermelon Island" he actually possesses a Watermelon Steven and proves to be integral to saving the day as he organizes the other Watermelon Stevens. (An interesting nod to the previous episode in which they appeared, by having a statue of the baby watermelon person who sacrificed themselves to save the Crystal Gems.) And in "Gem Drill", Steven seems to form a connection with the gem shards of the cluster by tapping into their collective feelings and communicating with them mentally.

"Super Watermelon Island" saw the return of Lapis Lazuli, with Jasper slipping into a crevice to disappear until a later time. And as vital as it was to show the elimination of Malachite, I liked the message of "Gem Drill" so much more. We got to see Peridot and Steven bonding, and Steven finding a non-violent solution to a problem that could have destroyed the world. A poster on Tumblr made an important observation as well; when Peridot and Steven thought it was the end and Peridot asked if he had any final words, Steven made sure they were something that would mean something. "I love you Peridot!" That tells you so much about his character, that those were the last sentiments he wanted to express if this was the end, to tell someone they were loved. And how does Peridot respond? With her eyes tight with emotion, telling him "Gee, thanks." What she was taught by Steven to say when you are given a gift. She understood on some level the importance of his statement, and it moved her. And THAT is why this is one of my favorite shows ever, that sentiment and message.

What will be interesting now is that the threat of the cluster has been solved (even though it's still very much there and I expect it to show up again in later episodes), and Lapis Lazuli has been brought back (albeit unconscious) with the returning Crystal Gems.
Next week, we have "Same Old World" to continue the latest new episodes!
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Overall, I liked both episodes.

I did find the second episode a little anticlimactic in that the build up about the cluster had been enormous and it seemed to be resolved pretty quickly overall; however, I loved the fact that Steven and Peridot bonded and that Steven matured in his abilities. I can't wait to see what happens with Lapis since I suspect that she now knows that she can't return to the Homeworld. I hope Peridot can help her with adjusting.

I thought it was rather funny watching the Watermelon Stevens as they grew new children and had wonderful little lives.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I really like the developing sibling-like connection that Peridot and Steven are forming. While the Crystal Gems are clearly and obviously the "Mom Squad" as they are often called, Peridot is more like Steven. She's still learning a lot, and she's more of a peer to Steven than someone he looks up to.
Also, while re-watching through the first episode of the show "Cookie Cat", I spotted this moment that I screen shotted:

Right there in front of the viewer's face at the back of the freezer is Connie's glow in the dark bracelet. She doesn't even get mentioned for 6 more episodes. Dammit, this show keeps giving me feels.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Tonight's episode was "Same Old World".

I know perhaps to a lot of people, they'd feel this was a "filler" episodes... but to me, these sorts of episodes are the exploration of character that I adore. Firstly, we get to see Peridot telling the story behind "Gem Drill" from her point of view, and I liked that it showed she wasn't suddenly given a dramatic change in nature. She likes Steven and is learning to do good, but she still has a lot of flaws and her slightly egocentric nature showed in how she related the story. But at the same time, that she wanted to communicate the events with the other Crystal Gems showed her improvement in socialization.

Then, there was Lapis Lazuli. She can't return to her home, and Steven does his best to show her that just because life changes doesn't mean it's always bad - it's just change. They had some fun bonding moments, including a couple of throw backs to Lapis and Steven making flatulence noises and how Lapis doesn't get it when Steven uses a rhyming different name to refer to her. "No prob, Bob" to "Ready, Freddy?" And of course, we find out the complicated and unfortunate situation that found Lapis trapped in a mirror. Still, in spending time with Steven, he got her to smile and enjoy the moment for a little while.

Then, there was the ending of course. Lapis seeing Peridot was with them, and how clearly agitated she was to learn over that twist. Something that will likely be addressed in the next episode, "Barn Mates".

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

i never really see anything as filler if it has either character or plot development and growth. not everything needs to be an adventure but a lot of people just seem unwilling to let themselves enjoy a show and see characters in their natural element outside of action. Episodes like this are necessary for gradual and natural build up.

A lot of people have wanted to see lapis as part of the show and amongst the gems.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

So, something Steven Universe-related happened this weekend that has much of the fandom in a tizzy. Normally, new episodes first air on Cartoon Network. However, the French affiliate of Cartoon Network decided that they were going to air the next three episodes this weekend. So "Barn Mates", "Hit the Diamond", and "Steven Floats" are already out there - even in the English language version. And I'll be honest, I have seen them. However, I'll refrain from discussing them until they air over here in the U.S. to things all uncluttered.

I just have to admit, it's so strange that these sorts of things keep happening to Steven Universe. I've never heard of a show having this many problems about leaks, spoilers, and the like of any sort of program... but especially not a kid's cartoon. it's odd.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

either that or its not reported as much as SU is. though thats flimsy because there is always information like this out there baout other shows
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

It actually does happen. It is uncommon to the point of being rare, but some shows have been aired in other countries ahead of them being aired in their country of origin. It is usually the other way around. It is almost unheard of for a show to air the same day and within hours of the original airing the way that Doctor Who is set up. Each country's affiliate network has a pretty wide berth when it comes to their programming decisions. After all, BBCAmerica can choose to show what they want and when, and do so. Most shows are sent in bulk these days digitally, so a network in one country may do what they are doing in France. It is problematic, sure, and shouldn't be done, but it isn't something that Cartoon Network (US) can necessarily control.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

ImageImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

ImageImageImage

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

how come spoilered?

ImageImageImage

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Big images, that's all. :)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

ImageImageImage