Steven Universe

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Steven Universe

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I made very certain to look through this thread to double check before I introduced a very specific topic... because I thought that as there was a My Little Pony thread, there would certainly be a Steven Universe thread.

Dang it.

I was sort of hoping to stalk and look at other people's input about the series first before subtly putting in a post here or there. You know, no big thing. Except, that's not the truth. I am a huge fan of Steven Universe. I am so dorky for this show I can't express it, and it's embarrassing. I love the show itself, the complex characters, and the underlying messages. While I'm not a big fanfiction person myself, I find there is tons of fun fanart all over the place online for the show that's simply fun and amusing.

So, I'm creating this new thread in appreciation of the Steven Universe show. I already know there's at least one other of us who's a fan, so don't be shy and show yourself. ;)
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Re: Steven Universe

Post by Tenjen »

I was wondering whether i should do this myself, but was still going back on forth on it.

I too am a huge fan of Steven Universe. i became as big of a fan of SU after a few episodes as i am of MLP after a few seasons.

Its fun, the underlying messages are deep, it has a singular episode format but with a long term character and plot development arc (just like MLP). The characters are indeed complex.

One thing i like is that they behave in-character before we find out why they behave that way. Many shows only have characters behaving a certain way after we find out the background on it, as if to highlight it. Here the characterization is set from the start and we find out why as the show progresses. not the other way around, except when new events and experiences develop and change them before our own eyes.

The episodes are short but it doesnt FEEL that way.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Hmmm. Is it... are the two of us the only weirdos, Tenjen? Well, they'll just have to deal with it, then! :p

It really has layers of meanings and messages. I can honestly say I wish it were a show that was around when I was growing up. While the frequent options of the Crystal Gems is "how are we going to fight it", it feels as though Steven himself is more often trying to figure out "do we really need to fight?" And I like that message. He's a caring, warm, and wonderfully imperfect kid. He makes mistakes ALL the time, but he is surrounded by people who are also imperfect - but loving.

Okay, and I'll admit that in the same way I have a rather self-depreciating sense of humor, I have to laugh because I see more than a little bit of myself in the super fussy and neurotic Pearl.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

I've heard the name once or twice, but never seen the show.
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

The show is pretty good. i need to watch more of it.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Yes, more posters! Feed my excuses to keep this thread active! :ymdevil: *Ahem* Sorry about that. But seriously, there are so many aspects of this show that are golden. There are some real nuggets of wisdom...

Steven is a hero because when everyone else might be stand off-ish, he's sincere... to the point of being embarrassingly so.

Steven's best friend is Connie Maheswaran, of Indian descent. Representation is good, and she's a very well written character.

Because every single character possesses distinctive looks and body types that aren't the generic "near perfect" look, it encourages more people to cosplay as them and find how much they enjoy the activity. The young lady below is cosplaying as Rose Quartz, who is depicted as a very tall full figured woman... that is still drawn to look quite lovely.

ImageImage

And then there's the music! The show was developed by Rebecca Sugar, previously of Adventure Time, and she's brought her music knack over to this show with tunes that I will openly confessing to listening to purely on their own.
Garnet singing "Stronger Than You".
Steven singing "Steven's Lament (I Don't Want That For You)".
Steven's father Greg once tried to be an 80's rock musician and had his song "I'm Just a Comet".

Heck, being a fan of the show has introduced me to new music that I now adore because people made AMV's (amateur music videos) by editing clips from the show and timed them to pieces of music from other media. Such as this AMV of Steven Universe set to Regina Spektor's "Blue Lips".

... okay, I'll stop now. :D

TellusEidolon

Post by TellusEidolon »

Dirty n Evil wrote: Heck, being a fan of the show has introduced me to new music that I now adore because people made AMV's (amateur music videos) by editing clips from the show and timed them to pieces of music from other media. Such as this AMV of Steven Universe set to Regina Spektor's "Blue Lips".
You have first now discovered the world of AMV's? They've been floating around youtube since the beginning. :P

Anyway, here is a symphonic metal tribute to SU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Wd9WxS5_nc
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Heh, no Tellus... I've been long familiar with AMV's. I still mourn the loss of several that I used to adore that have disappeared off the web and now only exist in my mind. (Eureka Seven with The Fray's "How to Save a Life" amongst them. =(( ) I was meaning more this particular song by Regina Spektor, and other music I hadn't been introduced to. Thanks for sharing the symphonic metal tribute, though... it was interesting hearing the interpretation of the themes all put together in a medley. :)

And again... I really like that Steven isn't afraid to express his emotions. This is one of the reasons that I wish the show was around when I was a kid - I was very emotional myself when I was little, and I definitely could have used a program like this to show me it wasn't such a horrible thing.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

lets not forgetting the dancing.

Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

TellusEidolon

Post by TellusEidolon »

Dirty n Evil wrote:Heh, no Tellus... I've been long familiar with AMV's. I still mourn the loss of several that I used to adore that have disappeared off the web and now only exist in my mind. (Eureka Seven with The Fray's "How to Save a Life" amongst them. =(( ) I was meaning more this particular song by Regina Spektor, and other music I hadn't been introduced to. Thanks for sharing the symphonic metal tribute, though... it was interesting hearing the interpretation of the themes all put together in a medley. :)
Oh, hehe. My mistake then. XD AMV's has been a great source of finding new music for me too, that i wouldn't have known otherwise. :)

This is a long shot in the dark but is this the aforementioned AMV?
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9RJnnFsQdY
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUiyeOQzoAI#t=25

[Disclaimer: Yes, i will spend time try Googling obscure things out of pure curiousity. It is a character flaw of mine. >_<]
Tenjen wrote:lets not forgetting the dancing.

https://gifsound.com/?gif=https://31.me ... NjbGr2nk2c

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Tellus, I think it was the first link... it's been blocked in my country because of copyright blah blah blah. The link of music to Garnet dancing was hilarious! :)) Now I want to fiddle with it. ;)

This tune.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Still...my favorite is Pearl...really do need to sit down and watch more of the show. Maybe tonight.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Oh, I think Pearl is great. I love how she tries to be so controlled and disciplined, but she's this eager little geek at heart.
And she doesn't "get" a lot of things, but she tries.
She's remarkably flawed... even jealous sometimes.
She's so much more fragile than even she likes to tell herself. And I find her great because of all of her shortcomings.
Pearl also adores Steven, and despite all of the things she's not, she's a good "Bird Mom" (as the internet teasingly calls her).

Okay, let's post another dance link!

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I've talked to a few people who compare Pearl to people with ASD. Which may be why I like her so much. She reminds me so much of me. Plus, she can be rather fun :)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

she's filled to the brim with all sorts of neurosis. Her grief is really opening up the cracks in her.

Thats another thing i like. their issues don't just disappear, a step in the right direction here and there, but not just gone and resolved in one sitting.
ImageImageImage