Steven Universe

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: Steven Universe

Post by Radbaron »

I watched that episode last night (47?) where they found the sword and the sheath. Looks like Pearl was in love with Steven's (mom?)

First episode, going to do some youtubing tonight :)
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Radbaron, that was "Rose's Scabbard"... and yes, it's pretty clear to everyone that Pearl loved Rose Quartz. But, I think "love" is a major theme of Steven Universe. Steven is such a warm and caring kid, and he's not ashamed to show his true feelings. While cannon of Rebecca Sugar (the show's creator) states that there really isn't a gender exactly to the crystal gems, Steven still refers to Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl as his three Moms since they primarily raised him - and they all express their love for Steven and vice versa in their own obvious ways.

There have been many shows that have attempted to use the trope of "love is one of the most powerful things in this world", but I think Steven Universe is the first to explore it well because they do it subtly. It's very present in most episodes... but not in some magical fashion. Rather as a simple emotion, but one that is still very important all the same.

Oh, and here's another dancing image. :) This time, of Steven teaching Connie to dance.

EDIT: I posted this earlier this morning, so rather than double posting I'll edit this current post.

There's a print 'Steven Universe Guidebook' that's coming out written by Rebecca Sugar, and it's going to include a lot of secrets about the Gems and Gemworld that hasn't been explored on the show. Here's a link to read the interview.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Rebecca Sugar has just announced another "Stevenbomb!" (a full week in which there's a new Steven Universe episode each week night) from June 15th to June 19th. Woo-hoo! New episodes!
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

SCREAMS*
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Another one of those reasons why this show is so amazing. Here, from the episode "Lion 3: Straight to Video", is someone's observation about this scene.

“This world is full of so many possibilities. Every living thing has an entirely unique experience: the sights they see, the sounds they hear, the lives they live are so complicated and so simple. I can’t wait for you to join them…….I need you to know that every moment you love yourself, that’s me loving you and loving being you.

Because you’re going to be something extraordinary. You’re going to be a human being.”

Look at how this scene is blocked. Rose is speaking directly into the camera. Yes, she is talking to Steven, but she is physically speaking to a vague and undefined audience. Anyone watching this scene-whether it be Steven, Sadie, or any of us, are looking directly at her as if she is speaking to us personally. Rose is not only speaking to Steven. She is speaking to every last person watching this episode.

Now think about what she is saying. EVERY creature lives a beautiful, unique life. Regardless of what happens in it, simply existing is a wonderful experience. Loving yourself for exactly who you are is an incredible thing, and it connects you to those who love you because THEY love you for exactly who you are too.

Rose Quartz just validated the existence of every living creature on Earth, including YOU. For all of those moments where you don’t love yourself, remember that. Remember that no matter what you are struggling through, there is nothing more wonderful than being you.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Cartoon Network finally has Steven Universe up on HULU, so I'm starting to watch it :)

Definitely a fun show...I'm enjoying it.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Did they actually make an Airplane! reference in the show?
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

Last night, watched Watermelons, Test, Warp field and one other. Cartoon Network Canada is playing 2 episodes per night each weekday , and 4 on Sunday. But not in order.

Also part of one Story Time episode where Jake has lost his arm, stuck a flower in the socket (huge heebie jeebies at THAT!) then got a magical invisible arm to build a tower to the sky. Weirder still was the deer fawn climbing down the tower. What kind of drugs do you have to be on to watch that show?

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I'm almost to the end of S1...Pearl loved Rose so much, didn't she? And she was probably always too afraid to actually say/show it in a way that others would understand.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy

Post by Radbaron »

Just watched Giant Woman (OPAL!) , Games Night (?) -- Beat Your Meat game, oh my! , Amethyst's origin .

Noticed something a while back. Every time we see Greg , he's wearing a muscle shirt and no shoes, but his tan is the same as what Steven is wearing-- T-shirt and sandals. It's a nice touch.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Yep, Greg has a Farmer's Tan without the appropriate clothing.

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I'm in such a rough position. :-s Because of... well, let's call it an "accounting error" on my part, my cable / internet bill has lapsed and I won't be able to get it up again until this Friday when I get my next paycheck. (It's why I haven't been around much the last week and a half.) But as a result, I've had to ask my pal Paul to record the show for me this week. So, I'll probably watch the first episode of the Stevenbomb tonight after the hockey game. Talk about timing, eh?

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

:(( especially since last night's episode was so sad!

I also haven't seen the last eight episodes of S1, but I know what happens overall.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Well, there was a lot of angst in this recent Stevenbomb... and without getting into spoiler tags, even more insight into the nature of Pearl (and not all of it positive - "Bird Mom" as she's sometimes called online has a bit of saltiness). And apparently there's another Stevenbomb coming in July that hasn't been announced if rumors are to be believed!

And since I seem to have a theme of Steven Universe and dancing, here's another mix up of gifs to music.

A fun song for Connie & Steven to dance to with Greg able to play some air guitar to.