Steven Universe

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Re: Steven Universe

Post by Dirty n Evil »

It was late when I posted that last one, but I realized it's been some time since I've posted much in the way of Steven Universe art that I've found online. I thought to correct that today. Enjoy. :) (Big or multiple images behind spoilers for size.)

Amethyst teasing Peridot - (images VERY large)

If Peridot was texting Lapis Lazuli -

Pearl if Steven was given her the birthday treatment -

And finally, a pic of Peridot getting flustered by her crush on Amethyst -

Just some silly stuff and a nice pic I've found. Building up towards the Stevenbomb!
(For the record, I think Peridot is a great villain with zero chill and is adorkably inept. I don't ship her with Amethyst myself... I see that as the whole "they bring the worst out of each other" vibe. But it's funny seeing how some fans imagine they might interact poorly. :)) )
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

some videos

a message from rebecca sugar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYGYFXodTek

Lion likes getting into boxes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvhYZI8yuwU
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Today's Steven Universe episode was 'The Answer' - and I think it was a great start for this week's episodes!

We got to see some great background of not only what the Gems are like back on homeworld as opposed to the behavior of the Crystal Gems, of the hierarchy in place. I really like the inclusion of Blue Diamond and her very quiet mop haired Pearl. There are just... ahh, there was so much good about this episode! It was beautifully done with so much emphasis on the backgrounds, the differences in the many characters, and of course seeing the early starts of the rebellion where it's only Rose Quartz and the "dangerous renegade Pearl". B-) Very opposite of the bird-mom image people play up. I just really liked everything about this episode, including how Sapphire and Ruby when they consciously decided to become the fusion of Garnet, started to dance to a variation on "Stronger Than You".

And here are some great images of the first time Garnet appears. :)

I love the cotton candy hair. :)
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Its important to realize that Pearl as she is now is someone who has lost her foundation, Rose Quartz and it has affected her to be very doting and protective. Also lets call back her notions of what a "knight" is, which she is following to the letter here.

Also added details about gem culture and fusion! More perspective on why they thought it was a cheap tactic similar gems fuse only and it does indeed look cheap, not a true hybrid which is more than the sum of its parts but just a sum of parts. Also a good time to point out how the ongoing fusion = sex comparisons continue, with that awkward talk the both of them have in the start of the song

Also interesting is the notion of gem identity each gem of the same type is seen as a collective single, "there are loads of me" = loads of the same gem. No differentiation between physical individuals.

Also did anyone notice the Lapis gem at the start? not sure if its our lapis but its a lapis atleast

i also liked the metaphorical art tone and artshift between the Cloud Arena (loose single colors and outlines) and Earth (where the character art turns more whole and detailed)
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I caught all of that except the Lapis gem... I'll have to have a second look.

So, tonight was "Steven's Birthday" - and I have to say, another really strong episode. :)

I'm a sucker for romantic things, so all the Connie & Steven warm moments was nice. I've seen quite a few "Pearlmathyst" shippers online, and they were flipping out over Pearl and Amethyst dancing in the background during the moment that Greg Universe and Garnet were flipping through the records. As a funny little easter egg, the album that Greg lifts up as though to suggest that Garnet shakes her head no to? That was supposed to be the album cover to one of Estelle's albums, the voice of Garnet.

So many fun little moments. Showing that as much as the gems seem to mother Steven, as an infant they were clueless. How Connie made the very mature decision that she was going to be there for Steven no matter what state he was in, that she cared for him so much no matter what. And of course, Steven's little comment about how when Connie is president would he be the first boy? Intoning very openly that the plans of them being together as a couple is something they're both hoping for through their lives. Also, people are joking about the scene where Greg and Amethyst are seen all by themselves with the pinata? It was because they wanted the candy for themselves. :))
As an extra bonus, here are some other little things. First off, there is a clip going around online of a spoof of how many mothers just become insane in preparation for guests arriving. Well, someone made a clip of Pearl lip synching to this rant, and it's here on Youtube. Also, behind the next spoiler tag are fan art images inspired by yesterday's show "The Answer".

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

heres some more of her

ImageImageImage

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Ah, I rewatched "The Answer" Tenjen, and I think I see what you were thinking. If you look closely at the nose on the gem you thought was a Lapis, it's openly thought online that this was Blue Diamond's Pearl. There to look pretty and hold her things, much as Peridot described the Crystal Gem's Pearl. But, today was another new episode, "It Could Have Been Great".

A pretty good episode, including another song. (Which is here on Youtube.) But I like the fact that it shows that simply because Peridot has spent weeks with the Crystal Gems working in conjunction with them, and she's slowly learning their way of thinking, that she still possesses her loyalty to the Gem Homeworld beneath it all. To have her suddenly and completely switch allegiances would have been unrealistic, and as she is now creates a more complex character and group dynamic. We got to see Lion continuing to follow Steven's directions and listening to him more, Amethyst being her goofball self, and all of the Crystal Gems reinforcing the message of Rose Quartz.
Surprisingly, that wasn't the biggest Steven Universe event of the day. Earlier in the day on Cartoon Network there was a clip that was supposed to be a promo of a new Steven Universe this week. However, that's not what was shown. Be aware what I'm about to share is very extra ultra spoiler-ish. As in, a spoiler for an episode that isn't even airing this week.

So, there was a four second cilp that was aired in this promo clip that shows Steven, Peridot... and Lapis Lazuli looking a bit ruffle haired and ticked off at Peridot. Here's someone who got a screen shot of it.

Now, I've seen a video of someone playing this on their television, and while the audio is muffled, it's clear that Peridot is offering the small white box with the blue ribbon in her hands to Lapis... and Lapis is seven colors of mad at Peridot. That's it, that's what they accidentally aired, and apparently it's been confirmed that this is to an episode that isn't airing this week. Which leaves TONS of questions, biggest of which would be "where is Jasper?"
EDIT: This was entirely too funny, I was cracking up as I watched this. Don't watch until you've seen the episode, but I found this hilarious.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

what the hell happened to north Asia?!
ImageImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

http://io9.gizmodo.com/this-is-the-stev ... 1751370935

click baitey but seriously. THey say that about those scenes but later the dance between greg and rose WITH a full kiss? nothing changed. Straight up bulshit.
ImageImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

ImageImageImage

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Sorry nothing on yesterday's episode... I've been very sick with a cold, but I'm here now.

Yeah, I've heard about the UK censorship of Steven Universe, and even tumblr is razzing them pretty hard about it. In the recent episode "The Answer", at the very end when Garnet tells Steven the answer is love? There's a post very specifically poking fun at how it'll be censored in the UK by dubbing over the word love and with a different voice saying, "friendship". It's not cool. Also, I really like that art you put up! A very soft feel to it, and everyone is so happy.

Going over the last two episodes:

Yikes! Soooooo much has happened! Peridot has proved to be a very flawed but complex character. Willing to become violent with the Crystal Gems because she thinks they're wrong and she's outnumbered, but all the same not doing so purely to follow orders. She wants to be a "good gem", but has to break out of her understanding what a good gem is. And then, throwing her ultimate insult in the face of Yellow Diamond? Oooooooooo!

Then in the latest episode, we get to see even more into her character. Essentially, she's a nerd. :)) She has problems socializing, overthinks everything, and becomes obsessed easily. I don't think she'll ever be nice or generous except in small moments, but that's who she is. What surprised me was how understanding and gentle Garnet acted towards Peridot in this episode. I like to think that the Sapphire part of her remembered how it was to be so dedicated to her role in the Gem society. What I really liked was how Garnet was so understanding when Peridot felt she wasn't ready to try and fuse with her, and saying she was proud of how Peridot was still trying to understand.

Then, of course, we got to see Opal again! There have been several little hints of how Amethyst and Pearl have been closer and more at ease with one another during this Steven bomb... dancing together, Pearl's hand on Amethyst's head, and generally hanging out with one another closer. And their dance this time was smooth and effortless, unlike before. Plus, Opal even had a new outfit!
Here's a pic of the Crystal Gems with Peridot, trying to make her feel like one of them. :)

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

that censor pissed me off to no end. Not to mention they IGNORED the hetero romantic and full blown kiss later on and censored the much less blatent dance between pearl and Rose. Neither cross the rules or need editing from children.

Reminds me of when they tried to make Stronger Than You sound more like Ruby and Saph were only friends somewhere in CN Europe.

onto positive things.

that other pearl was hilarious. Looks like theyre designed to latch onto someone emotionally. That smug look on the side during the conversation.

It was wonderful to see Peridot still influenced by her experiences and despite idealizing yellow diamond, homeworld and that culture, she see's them in harsher light when actually seeing them again in person after being exposed to Steven's influence and the experiences/perspectives beyond the shell homeworld made for her (this is a common phase in enlightenment or opening ones mind).

I think she didnt mean to betray them, but just didnt think emotions were of worth to help this situation. Instead she would rely on what she valued and knew had value. Reason and Logic. Reason and logic which would convince Yellow Diamond to not destroy everything of value she saw on Earth. But it didnt. Not to mention that yellow diamonds "reasons" are just petty vengeance against all reason and logic. Along with everything of value the gems had taught her and her old life's complete afront to even her core personal values (reason and logic), she turned over to the Crystal Gems completely.

Also we got to see yellow diamond, who is frikkin large, angular and "above it all" in the worst way.

Also more subtext in the new episode! Healthy lessons brought across. Peridot falling to fanshipping is hilarious.Also its good to see Opal, which means Amethyst's and Pearls relationship is better now than it was before and they are more okay with themselves and each other. Garnet refering to the fanshipping to explain herself was hilarious and really the best way to get the idea across to Peridot
ImageImageImage

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Something else...diamonds aren't perfect, btw, and they can be destroyed with quick, heavy pressure like a sledgehammer ;)

I've loved these episodes. I feel sorry for Peri, though. She's lived a very lonely existence whether she wants to admit it or not.

...and I've started watching Adventure Time...
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I have to agree, one of my favorite things about Steven Universe are the healthy lessons. That's one of the reasons I openly say to anyone when in a conversation about the show how I wish I had this show around when I was growing up. And yes, I loved these episodes too. I think this was their strongest "Steven bomb" yet. Every episode was a winner.

And can I say how much I'm glad they didn't make Yellow Diamond an appealing / attractive figure? I was worried about that... sometimes, I feel like many shows pull away from the trope of the "ugly is bad" and go to the opposite extreme. We get to see that Yellow Diamond isn't something special in any way outside of being really, really tall. Which I think helps illustrate that some people are in a position of power, authority... and even in perceived as "better" like Peridot said... because they created the environment around them?

Adventure Time is fun, too. I watch that as well, but it doesn't have the place in my heart that Steven Universe does. :x

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I think I love both because they aren't easy series to watch exactly. Both deal with some pretty heavy issues like PTSD and such. For all their silliness at times, they deal with the real world a lot too.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"