Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Re: Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Eh? From what little I have seen of Shield (around the start of season 2, I think). I saw Fitz's and Simmons relationship as just really good, close friends in a brother-sisterly way. Would be weird if they had a romance later on, in my opinion. ;)

I honestly liked their relationship as being close friends/roommates. Was refreshing to see a male-female relationship in TV that wasn't just set up to be romantic later on.
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Tellus - if you started in just after the start of the second season, you missed A LOT. I'll summarize it behind a spoiler if you want to catch up on your own, or if you want to know context read below.

Near the end of the first season, it was clear that Simmons only saw Fitz as a friend... especially since she had been openly drooling after a few very muscled guys. However, Fitz confessed (I think it was to Ward, before he was revealed as a traitor) that he's had feelings for Simmons for some time now. In the finale of the first season, the two of them are put in a situation where they're trapped in a container deep under water. There is some air to be had to help one of them swim up to the surface... but only one of them. Fitz insists that Simmons take the air container because not only is she the better swimmer and has the better chance of getting them both to the surface, but also because he loves her and she only sees him as a friend and he couldn't stand the thought of being alive when she didn't survive. He suffers brain injury from oxygen deprivation for her, and while he's much improved you still see moments of it to this day in his character.
I'll agree, friendship between a guy and a girl is a great thing to portray in a show. I'm all for it. But if they're both of an orientation that finds the other attractive, and they're so very close as these two were depicted since the very first show (making him super specific sandwiches!), and they're both not already in an romantic attachment but open to the idea of finding romance, and they're both not unattractive to one another... it's going to happen. The best relationships should be with someone who is your friend, right? If you want a guy and girl pair that are purely 'just friends', there's always the 10th Doctor run with Donna Noble. ;)
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Dirty n Evil wrote:Which is why this ticks me off SO MUCH. I'm a romantic, my interest in any story increases or decreases substantially with the writers' treatment of romance in any medium. And I've honestly felt as though as I've gotten older, it's almost cool to trash a romantic theme. That there's something almost enjoyable about ruining one of the most important and beautiful things in this world.

So... yeah. I'm done.
It's a typical meme. Part of why I stopped watching is I hate the idea of betrayal from those one trusts. I don't mind it if it happens occasionally, but when it becomes a pattern and a constant in the series, I stop caring. Ward being evil was alright, but only so long as that was the end of it. He betrays them and then they put an end to him and the team goes on. The constant build ups and such to who is going to betray whom just doesn't interest me.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Artemisia wrote:It's a typical meme. Part of why I stopped watching is I hate the idea of betrayal from those one trusts. I don't mind it if it happens occasionally, but when it becomes a pattern and a constant in the series, I stop caring. Ward being evil was alright, but only so long as that was the end of it. He betrays them and then they put an end to him and the team goes on. The constant build ups and such to who is going to betray whom just doesn't interest me.
There hasn't been much actual betrayal though post-Ward (Sky's mother being a big exception, but she was rather sketchy from the moment we found out she was still alive). A lot of secret keeping and paranoia regarding whether Coulson could be trusted with alien DNA in him and such, but not true betrayal. Most of the characters can be trusted to act according to the standards and policies they openly claim to live by, though it may put them at odds with their allies at times.

<><><>

As for Will the "space boyfriend" I admit making him a love interest (even if only out of desperation and the belief that they would never have any other options) wasn't the most novel decision. Still, I'll be surprised if the romance continues if/when he is rescued as it started on such desperate terms, and also surprised if he turns out to be a villain. After all, why basically (try to) sacrifice himself to help Simmons get home if he was trying to keep her there or harm her?

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Earlier today on Facebook the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. page (which I forgot I was following, and promptly unfollowed after I made a post that was very similar to the sentiments I shared above) posted an article where Elizabeth Henstridge - who plays Jemma Simmons - talked about the episode that just aired. And she confessed that yes, she's concerned about how fans are going to react, whether they're going to hate Simmons now. But what I found the most interesting was that far earlier than I made my comment someone else had made a very similar (and far more concise) statement that they weren't going to watch Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. anymore because of this poorly played out twist... and at the time I saw it, it was "liked" by 548 different people. That's a pretty large amount of people just on Facebook alone. There were several people venting, saying that they're tired of Fitz being the punching bag for the writers when he's the favorite character of many of them. It made me feel better, that I wasn't alone in feeling this way.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Varanus...last year they hyped the inclusion of Lucy Lawless, and then killed off her character pretty quickly. I was able to look past that, but then they hyped the will they/won't they betray SHIELD down the line for a lot of the people they brought in, and the fact that both Henstridge and Bennet played up the idea of Skye and Jemma being a couple then basically tried to divert that...honestly, I just hit a point where I just didn't find the entire thing interesting. Add to that, I hated the whole "US Government turns against them" and "Hydra was inside SHIELD all along" storyline...it kind of killed the majority of the Marvel Cinematic Universe for me.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Great episode tonight with tons of reveals and great interactions. As usual I read through tumblr reactions from the airing and as usual it was mostly a lot of fun. Still there were some that I really wish I could reply to. I actually tried to make a tumblr account once but couldn't figure out how to make my posts show up (I'd make them and they'd proceed to not appear no matter how I searched). Still I feel compelled to post my thoughts.

That is more than one person (among the dwindling crowd who thinks Ward is still a victim of circumstance) posting bemoaning how Andrew gets a chance at redemption while Ward didn't. Said people ignore that:

1. The two situations are so different as to defy comparing. Ward was an abused child who grew into a coldhearted killer who refused to ever take responsibility for his actions (even when he claimed he was). Andrew is a inhuman overwhelmed by a desire to kill other inhumans, his justifications presumably just rationalizations he is trying to make for the urge he has little control over. I could go on for a long time but anyway.

2. Coulson as I recall tried for weeks to get through to Ward while he was in confinement but Ward refused to even speak to him and apparently tried killing himself only out of self pity and to try to get Skye's sympathy. He was not refused redemption, he refused it.

3. Andrew's "redemption" is not redemption in a conventional way (certainly not a form Ward apologists think Ward should have gotten). May was fully willing to kill him to stop him, and while his abilities meant he survived he still ends up put into stasis in the hopes of removing/reversing what is making him insane. There is no such option for Ward.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

I completely forgot about the watchdogs. Boy are those guys screwed.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Anyone up to date? I fear the worst.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Yep. I do wonder how the Accord from Civil War will tie into Shield as well though. Since inhumans will go under that.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

I'm mainly worried because I been shipping Fizz and Simmons since day one, and if you've noticed they end every season by seperating them in a way that makes it seem like one of them is dead. I'm worried one of them will actually die. Either that, or Daisy is acting like a junkie whose drug is a God. I.e. willing to sacrifice everything, even herself for fulfillment. The death announcement a month or so ago is so fucked up. Torture.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Are double posts allowed when it comes to threads based on a weekly show?

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Well you technically already have :3

They brought in the Alpha Primitives. Hive seems to have done some quick thinking. Having inhumans ontop and everyone else as those thing to serve them (or him rather).

That ending though!
ImageImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Agent Carter Cancelled and the Bobby/Hunter spin off is not happening either :<
ImageImageImage

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Did anyone geek squee when the ending of CA: Civil War was mentioned in the beginning of the episode? I love how this show ties the MCU together.