Doctor Who

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Artemisia »

The thing to remember about Moffat (who, btw, wrote that episode with the SS Madame du Pompadour) does a lot with linked episodes. It is a good idea to remember what has happened before because he's writing a very long story.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Re: The death of Gretchen.

WHAT?

:-o

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

We shall see...we shall see...
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

so, when's river gonna show up & have a 'chat' with missy about the whole 'boyfriend' thing?
Yet still, I live...

'J'

Post by 'J' »

i really enjoy how much of a dick the new doctor is.
Yet still, I live...

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

LOL...There's a good amount of Hartnell's Doctor to Capaldi's without Capaldi's being too horrific to people.

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

I wouldn't say the New Doctor is being a dick. The Doctor's always been a bit of a know-it-all -- and after knocking about the universe for more than two millennia, wouldn't you be? -- and Capaldi's playing him as more of a curmudgeon to fit his physical appearance. Capaldi shows this Doctor is just as capable of flights of fancy as the others -- Exhibit A from the last episode being the epic sword-versus-spoon fight.

I was a bit distracted during parts of the episode, but I did notice mention of The Promised Land yet again. What is up with this Missy chick and this Promised Land?

I thought the robots would be Cybermen, but I was wrong. Did we see the advent of a new Big Bad in the Whoniverse?
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Not necessarily. They looked like an upgrade of androids we last saw in...arg...what's the name of the episode?

The Robots of Death.

There have been androids in the series before who were deadly like this.

And, as I said, Capaldi is playing the Doctor a lot like Hartnell did.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

While I really enjoyed "Listen", I guess they've decided to throw out the whole stricture about "don't cross your own timeline". I know, its been done before, but never quite this extensively without major consequences.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I'm trying to figure out how they crossed their own timeline....Clara and the Doctor first visit Danny as a child...then Clara doesn't leave the TARDIS until after she's left the restaurant and is far enough away that she doesn't actually cross her timeline, then the Doctor visits Orson and brings him back, then they visit the end of the universe, then Clara (alone) visits the Doctor as a child. It was close, but in the end, it doesn't seem to be that they actually crossed their timeline specifically.

'J'

Post by 'J' »

i think the idea is that they're allowed to do it, so long as they don't interact with themselves in a way that changes the past.

but then again, doctor who's never been the best example of internal consistency with it's rules. sometimes they can change the past, sometimes they can't, sometimes they destoy the universe, sometimes giant time-bats show up & eat the planet, etc.
Yet still, I live...

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

And in this case the Doctor actually noted that he took the safeties off.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

With every new episode, The Doctor gets a little darker. I like this new direction. The Doctor isn't just some time-traveling goof. He's seen some serious shite, and he knows the universe ain't all fun and games.

It's also a very good way to push Clara Oswald out the door and make way for a new companion. Has anyone heard about who it could be?
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

They have not announced that Coleman will be leaving- period, end of discussion. Will she be leaving? No idea. One and a half years is a fairly good run for a companion. Amy and Rory were atypical since the series was revived. Basically Rose- 2 years, Martha- 1 year. Donna- 1 year. Amy & Rory 2.5 years. Clara 1.5 years.