Doctor Who

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Artemisia »

But where's Amy and Rory!?
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Couldn't find the proper characters to base it? Not like Disney/Pixar ever made a centurion
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

Nevertheless, Adamas, you win +1 internets!
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

So Peter Capaldi did a Report Card of The Doctor for charity.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

New Who on BBC America Sat., Aug. 23 at 8 p.m. EDT. Who else is hyped?
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

I MIGHT go see it in the theatre, but not too sure yet. If they have the extras at the beginning, though, that will be worth it.

I can still see Commander Strax talking about movie talkers and popcorn :)

http://youtu.be/-hZrl-N3yps?t=5m46s
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

can someone please explain to me why vastra, jenny, & strax don't have their own spinoff show yet?
Yet still, I live...

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I don't know. I desperately want one. Heck, just three eps a year ala Sherlock would be fine by me!
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

Finally able to comment after a brutal week at work.

So, was that a great introduction to a new Doctor or what?

I like the way they handled 14's confusion throughout the episode. Watching Capaldi work out his new identity while integrating the old Doctors was a treat.

Those clockwork cyborgs from prehistory were certainly creepy enough. I did feel a little bad for Ms. Dinosaur.

Clara's reaction to the new Doctor was understandable, if not entirely fair to the Doctor. Vastra's object lesson about appearances was the right thing to do.

I'm not sure I liked Matt Smith's return, even as a cameo. Let Capaldi do his thing, and let Smith's Doctor gracefully retire.

Funniest bits all involve Strax. I had to laugh hardest when he threw the newspaper at Clara and it clocked her in the face. Who knew Strax was a genius of physical comedy?

First big question: Did the cyborg jump from the balloon, or did the Doctor push him? I love that they left it ambiguous, and it's something we'll have to find out as Capaldi and Moffat develop his character.

Second: What's up with the whole Paradise deal? I don't believe for a second it's really heaven, as that woman said it was. Also, that woman is seriously creepy -- creepier than those cyborgs. Even her eyes are a creepy sort of blue. I watched the after show, and Alton Brown (yes, that Alton Brown) said she could be the personification of a TARDIS, while I believe Wil Wheaton said she could be the Master.

Anyway, on to Episode 2.
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

The After Show pissed me off...well, besides the fact that Hardwick forgot several Doctors in the pre-show. No one theorized that she could be the Rani (a rather evil rogue Time Lady) or even one of the Guardians of Time. I felt like for all their Whoovian-Creds, they don't know the Lore as well as I do.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

I wasn't thrilled with the season opener, but then a coworker explained to me where the clockwork cyborgs came from (the Madame DePompadour episode) and that improved my general opinion. Regardless, I love Capaldi and Coleman's chemistry and I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.
@Arte: The pre and post shows were just stupid. Why couldn't they show the Strax short which was in the theaters?
My coworker also put a vote in for the Rani. He's watched far more Dr Who than me. I countered with the wild theory that maybe Clara will become the Rani in the future. She might not be entirely human after the events at Trenzalore.
Its an asspull I admit, especially since I've only heard about the Rani online. I've never had a chance to watch an episode with her in it. Is she a foe of the Third or Fourth doctor?