Doctor Who

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Radbaron »

Nope, he acknowledges that it was still one of his regenerations.

And...

Amy Pond! Amy Pond! Amy Pond! Amy Pond!
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Sigh...

The regenerations are- the Doctor (Hartnell), the Doctor (Troughton), the Doctor (Pertwee), the Doctor (T. Baker), the Doctor (Davison), the Doctor (C. Baker), the Doctor (McCoy), the Doctor (McGann), the Warrior (Hurt), the Doctor (Eccleston), the Doctor (Tennant), the Doctor (Tennant), and the Doctor (Smith).

That is all thirteen- 11 Doctors, 1 Meta-Crisis Doctor and 1 Warrior.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

Just watched The Time of the Doctor, and it was brilliant.

The aging makeup they used on Matt Smith was very good, and I liked the storyline about how he essentially spent most of his "last" regeneration stuck in Christmas as a living shield for the town/planet.

The battle scenes were well-done, as was the siege of the Daleks.

From what I gather, the Time Lords somehow gave The Doctor at least one more regeneration. Steven Moffat, I expect an explanation. :-w

I really liked the regeneration into Capaldi. As usual, regeneration leaves The Doctor disoriented, and strangely often, inside a crashing TARDIS.

Now the question is how long does Clara stay around as The Doctor's companion?
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

The Lord High President of Gallifrey, using the Regalia of Rassilon can siphon off some of the energy of the Eye of Harmony on Gallifrey and reset the special cells inside any Time Lord to grant them an entire new cycle of regenerations. This has been done only a handful of times and is considered extremely dangerous because of the energy released during that regeneration. The only other people who can do this are the Sisterhood of Karn, but they have different methods, and you kind of have to be on Karn to have it happen.

During the Fourth Doctor's time, the Master attempted to engineer the assassination of the old High President and put his puppet in that position. This new High President would then have given the Master a new set of regenerations. When that failed, the Master attempted to access the Eye of Harmony on Gallifrey only to have the Doctor stop him. The Master would later steal a series of bodies in an attempt to delay dying only to have the High Council and the High President grant him a new set of regenerations during the Time War.

It is actually considered a possibility that this is the second time that the Doctor's regeneration cycle has been reset. There are rumors and whispers around the edge of the lore (and a whole set of stories that were never filmed or written due to the classic series being canceled) that indicate that the Doctor was once part of the triad including Rassilon and Omega. The three founded the current Time Lord society and overthrew the matriarchal government of Gallifrey. At some point, the man who would become the Doctor rebelled and as punishment his memories of that time were largely wiped and he was forced into a whole new set of regenerations due to prophesies that were told about his future.

Sheesh, I know a lot of the lore of the show now.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

^ Aha! That would explain how The Doctor destroyed the Daleks and their ship while he was regenerating!

Now, a question. What do the Whovians here think of Peter Capaldi as the new Doctor? He's closer to the traditional age of actors playing The Doctor, but modern fans may be spoiled by Eccleston, Tennant and Smith, who were younger than most of the classic series' actors. Will he work, or will fans reject him?

BTW, I didn't know until I watched the "Farewell to Matt Smith" special that he's the youngest actor ever to step into The Doctor's shoes.
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I think fans will embrace him just as they did Matt, David, Chris, Paul, Sylvester, Colin, Peter, Tom, Jon, Patrick and William before him. Matt is only two years younger than his predecessor in the title of youngest Doctor- Peter Davison, who was 30 when he took over the role. Most actors tend to be in their 40's.

In terms of age when they took the role, the order is Hartnell 55, Capaldi 55, Pertwee 50, Troughton 46, McCoy 44, Eccelston 41, T. Baker 40, C. Baker 40, McGann 36, Tennant 31, Davison 29 and Smith 27. So I'm not sure about being spoiled by the recent crops of Doctors.

At least I'm starting to understand why some people loathe Moffat, and it's for all the wrong reasons. I mean, I've been with the show since Tom Baker was the Doctor- and that means through some really awful stuff including the 1996 TV movie, and yet, I think the problem is that Davies tried too hard to take Doctor Who from the continuity of the past and Moffat's been putting a lot of that stuff back into the show. There's a lot of stuff with Davies that really, really pissed me off, but I just don't feel like getting into it. I just take the show as it comes.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

I may be easily amused but, it amuses me that a guy named McCoy played The Doctor.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Speaking of Sylvester McCoy:

River: I hate good wizards in fairy tales. They always turn out to be him.

"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

New episodes start filming today. I'm also eager to see what the new Doctor's style will be.
-- Dot Warner

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Ask and ye shall receive Image

milk experiment

Post by milk experiment »

That's the outfit 11 regenerated in. I'm kind of hoping they can keep 12's style under wraps until the new season's premiere, but I'm sure it'll probably leak out somewhere.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Let me put it this way...I'm happier about this image anyway:

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image