Doctor Who

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Lokitsu

Re: Doctor Who

Post by Lokitsu »

Did any of the classic companions have particularly long runs? I seem to remember the Brigadier being around for all of Pertwee's run. Maybe Sarah Jane?

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

The companion who was in the most number of episodes was Jaime McCrimmon. He appeared in 116 episodes.

The companion with the must airtime, however, is Sarah Jane Smith, who appeared in a total of 141 episodes between Doctor Who, K-9 & Company, The Sarah Jane Adventures and charity specials.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

Watched the first part of the two-part season finale last night, and ... and ... I really need a "mind blown" emoticon for this.

Wil Wheaton was RIGHT! Although, the clues were all there. Missy=short for Mistress=female form of Master.

The look on the Doctor's face when Missy revealed her true identity was perfect -- utter disbelief mixed with a tinge of horror. It may be just me (and forgive me for being a bit vulgar), but doesn't it seem like Missy wants to fuck the Doctor as much as she wants to destroy him?

Artemisia should be happy that now it's official -- Time Lords can switch gender (at least, it's official in the present-day Whoniverse).

Also, the Cybermen. Doesn't it always come back to either them or the Daleks?

I felt bad for Danny. He gets hit by a car and killed while talking to Clara on his mobile, and now he's in a Time Lord-designed sort of hard drive for souls, on the verge of being tricked into becoming a Cyberman.

Clara's becoming more like the Doctor -- what with her essentially holding the TARDIS hostage -- and that's not necessarily a good thing. The Doctor needs his companion to draw him back from the brink of going to extremes and to be the voice of reason, and right now, Clara's anything but reasonable.

From the commercials, it seems Clara will be faced with a big choice in the second part, and it will be revealed that she's not even a real person. Like I said before: Mind. Blown.

That's another reason why I think we're on the precipice of getting a new companion. Also, I may be mistaken, but I thought I'd heard Jenna Coleman was cast in a new project.
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Last night's episode was mind boggling :)

While this is the first time we've seen a Time Lord swap sexes in the series, we've known since "The Doctor's Wife" that it could happen.

There is also a lot of canon about how the Master was obsessed with the Doctor for some reason or another. So, this is definitely interesting.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

So, I just watched Death in Heaven:

GAH! All I could think of was, "NO! Dammit... every 'ending' in Doctor Who has been so very sad, whether it be the departure of a companion or switching of a Doctor! Nine, Rose Tyler, Martha Jones, Donna Noble, Ten, Amy & Rory Pond... with Eleven being the only departure that wasn't all sad. And now Clara Oswald & Danny Pink - dammit, stop doing this or I might actually have to stop watching Doctor Who for the sake of it constantly triggering my depression!" Because very melancholy stories will do that... I can't help it. I'll care so much for these fictional characters, when something gut wrenching happens to them, once their hour in my life is done I'm the one struggling to let go of the story.

And then, Nick Frost kicking in the TARDIS door as Santa Clause? Okay, I'm burnt out on Christmas from all my years working retail, but I laughed. I laughed because he was a perfect Santa, and because it meant there was some hope for Clara & Danny. I really like Clara, and while she's probably gone after this season I want her to have a good ending.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

yeah, it's been awhile since we've had an 'everybody lives' episode, hasn't it?

also, did cyber-brigadier just fly away and not blow himself up? like, is he still out there but they're just not gonna mention it?
Yet still, I live...

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

What happened to Gallifrey? Did the Master / Missy blow it up?
Also, she's not dead. You need to rewatch the part where The Doctor hits the button. There's a blue glow around her,just like when she transmatted in (Missy Poppins!) instead of the red glow of death (say something nice).
I wonder how much backpay UNIT owes the Doctor?
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Alrighty now. . .

Gallifrey is still lost. The Mistress was trying to buy her life by tricking the Doctor. That said, the Master/Mistress has been officially dead so many times. . .as Moffat pointed out in a discussion about the episode, the Master always seemed to be dead, but had some explanation of how he got away in the past, so the Mistress definitely has a way out despite being shot by the Cyber-Brigadier. Yes, there is hope that Danny can return, but someone has pointed out that Clara could already be pregnant. It may be the last time we see Danny, but we won't know for a while.

I'm hoping for a happy Christmas episode this year.

This was the first time in 34 years of watching Doctor Who that my mother cried.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Artemisia, I think it's because Missy was shot by the Cyber-Brigadier that she's still alive. I don't see her creating this gigantic cyborg army and then leaving herself vulnerable to their weapons. Yes, The Master has been very guilty of hubris in the past, but he's also brilliant and rarely gets fooled the same way twice. I just think there will be a full season until Missy's next appearance.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Count de Money

Post by Count de Money »

I don't know why, but I didn't have a visceral response to "Death in Heaven." Sure, Danny sacrificing himself to save humanity was a touching gesture, but for some reason, I couldn't work up much strong emotion.

Actually, when Missy first threatened, then killed Osgood hit me harder than Danny's death. Osgood was so adorkable. I'm hoping they somehow bring her back.

I still liked the episode. Just sayin'.

Philosophical moment of the show: When Missy told The Doctor he had to keep his hands clean. Often, life-and-death decisions do get shunted off on side characters, and it happened again with Missy. The Doctor was going to kill her, and then the Cyber-Brigadier does it for him.

Or did he? :ymdevil:

Missy is such an interesting character. If someone played Marry-Screw-Kill with her and brought up The Doctor, I'd say she'd want to do all three.

Though nothing's set in stone, it does seem like Clara made a clean break with The Doctor. They ended the show by having each lie to the other about how rosy their lives were, and Clara blending in with the crowd as the TARDIS disappears behind her. It would be fitting if that's how Clara moves on -- unlike most companions, she joins a faceless crowd and becomes another one of them.

Although, after reading the Huffington Post, it seems Clara will be back...

And then, the credits scene. I love Nick Frost as Father Christmas (I'm surprised they credited him as "Santa Claus"), and now I'm geeked again for the Christmas special.
"Tall and dark and really handsome ... the hunk from Oo-Oo-Nima's real dumb ... And when he strolls, each one he strolls by goes, 'BLEAAAAAAH!'"
-- Dot Warner

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

What gets me about the Mistress is what seems to be getting Moffat a lot of kudos...no one in the episodes seemed to bat an eyelash at the idea of the gender and sex change.

And for a lot of trans people...that was important.

Ithilion

Post by Ithilion »

Just watched Special #148, aka "The husbands of River Song"

A couple of snags, here and there, but overall a perfect 5/7 for me.
Cave Elder: Keeper of the Garden, Zen Master of Shadows

Member of the Dream Team

You are suffering from delusions of adequacy.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

I loved how she flipped open her wallet with 12 pictures of "Damsel" and he stares at them.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

i always loved the dynamic between the both of them. I also like how they've met at just the right time for them, a point just after facing a terrible tragedy (this is her not that long after Manhattan)
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I'll be honest... I was never a fan of River Song. While she never targeted innocents, I felt she was too much like The Master / Missy, and it bugged me that The Doctor didn't try harder to push against her more violent and manipulative instincts like he did with his childhood friend. The Doctor's infamous and very open dislike for guns and destruction seemed to have been too easily embraced in the case of River. I thought that if there was someone that caused those sorts of amorous feelings in The Doctor you would have to look at some of his fondest companions to see what traits he appreciated the most. Rose, Martha, Donna, Wilfred, Amy, Rory, Clara... and even going back to the older Doctors of Jo Grant, Sarah Jane, Adric, Tegan... yes, they were all sassy and curious like River. But they were also all compassionate in a way that I didn't think was well represented by River's character. She was too much of a sociopath. (It doesn't help I'm not a huge fan of Alex Kingston - she was on "ER" during its heyday, and it always felt like they wrote the scripts around her too much even then.) (Or that I think that in writing her to be Amy & Rory's daughter they stole away that couple's chance of the joys of parenthood.)

That being said, I thought the way they wrapped up her inclusion into The Doctor's life very well. Even if I don't like a character, I can appreciate bringing loose threads together. I liked how it showed the disparity of how River saw her relationship with The Doctor versus how he truly felt. She was the classic personality of "I'm the one always manipulating him and deciding when and how we meet, yet I blame him for only coming around when it suits his needs". A very telling flaw. I think I also liked the dynamic between the 12th Doctor and River as compared to the 11th Doctor and River. By the current Doctor not being announced to River as to who he was, he was able to see her behavior in a new light - a maturity and insight that he didn't possess of her character before.

And the idea that the TARDIS is making holographic silly things appear in an attempt to cheer up The Doctor? I like that. It shows that the interaction between the two, always a key part of the show, is growing more direct.

Much like Lith, I'll give it a 7 out of 10.