Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Re: Avatar: The Legend of Korra

Post by 'J' »

i want cyberpunk avatar
Yet still, I live...

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

Iam just a bit emotional at the end of the Avatar franchise and the end bit of the episode ;-;

MAJOR SUPER SPOILER TUMBLR LINKS
as for the end bit

i saw it not as "relationship established" but more as "relationship being established". this is just the very initial seed of their relationship growing. its not saying "they're there now", its saing "they're on their way there and theres still a way to go". The lack of precedent (other than their close bond and friendship) is becaue THIS right here at the end was the precedent as it begins.

and yeah i know what i jsut said BUT

POW
http://40.media.tumblr.com/b3158caf3ede ... 1_1280.jpg

major spoilers.

this is not spoilers though

ImageImage
Last edited by Tenjen on Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

I want a teslapunk Avatar with the next airbender. B-)

Anyway haven't watched the latest season yet but thought i'd share this LoK song. :)

Lost My Heart In Republic City ~Adrisaurus
Lyrics:

Lost my heart to the dawn
And I don't know where it's gone
I've been searching all night long

Never dreamed that I'd be
Chasing for it, you with me
Won't you help me find it please?

Maybe it's magic
Maybe it's not
But I know that tonight's all that we've got

Maybe we're crazy
Maybe we're not
Darling, you've got me caught

Lost my heart in your arms
To the city's glow and charm
Swear you'll keep it safe from harm
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

ImageImageImage

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Today, the show's co-creators Mike DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko posted a pair of separate blog posts that confirm: Yes, Korra and Asami are in love. Yes, it was on purpose. And in Konietzko's words, "You can celebrate it, embrace it, accept it, get over it, or whatever you feel the need to do, but there is no denying it."
Mike DiMartino wrote:Our intention with the last scene was to make it as clear as possible that yes, Korra and Asami have romantic feelings for each other. The moment where they enter the spirit portal symbolizes their evolution from being friends to being a couple. Many news outlets, bloggers, and fans picked up on this and didn't find it ambiguous. For the most part, it seems like the point of the scene was understood and additional commentary wasn't really needed from Bryan or me. But in case people were still questioning what happened in the last scene, I wanted to make a clear verbal statement to complement the show's visual one. I get that not everyone will be happy with the way that the show ended. Rarely does a series finale of any show satisfy that show's fans, so I've been pleasantly surprised with the positive articles and posts I've seen about Korra's finale.

I've already read some heartwarming and incredible posts about how this moment means so much for the LGBT community. Once again, the incredible outpouring of support for the show humbles me. As Tenzin says, "Life is one big bumpy ride." And if, by Korra and Asami being a couple, we are able to help smooth out that ride even a tiny bit for some people, I'm proud to do my part, however small it might be.
Bryan Konietzko wrote:We approached the network and while they were supportive there was a limit to how far we could go with it, as just about every article I read accurately deduced. It was originally written in the script over a year ago that Korra and Asami held hands as they walked into the spirit portal. We went back and forth on it in the storyboards, but later in the retake process I staged a revision where they turned towards each other, clasping both hands in a reverential manner, in a direct reference to Varrick and Zhu Li's nuptial pose from a few minutes prior. We asked Jeremy Zuckerman to make the music tender and romantic, and he fulfilled the assignment with a sublime score. I think the entire last two-minute sequence with Korra and Asami turned out beautiful, and again, it is a resolution of which I am very proud. I love how their relationship arc took its time, through kindness and caring. If it seems out of the blue to you, I think a second viewing of the last two seasons would show that perhaps you were looking at it only through a hetero lens.

Was it a slam-dunk victory for queer representation? I think it falls short of that, but hopefully it is a somewhat significant inching forward. It has been encouraging how well the media and the bulk of the fans have embraced it. Sadly and unsurprisingly, there are also plenty of people who have lashed out with homophobic vitriol and nonsense. It has been my experience that by and large this kind of mindset is a result of a lack of exposure to people whose lives and struggles are different from one's own, and due to a deficiency in empathy––the latter being a key theme in Book 4. (Despite what you might have heard, bisexual people are real!) I have held plenty of stupid notions throughout my life that were planted there in any number of ways, or even grown out of my own ignorance and flawed personality. Yet through getting to know people from all walks of life, listening to the stories of their experiences, and employing some empathy to try to imagine what it might be like to walk in their shoes, I have been able to shed many hurtful mindsets. I still have a long way to go, and I still have a lot to learn. It is a humbling process and hard work, but nothing on the scale of what anyone who has been marginalized has experienced. It is a worthwhile, lifelong endeavor to try to understand where people are coming from.
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

<3
ImageImageImage

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Mildly NSFW, but nothing truly seen:

Her name is Sandra Prikker, but damn she could pass for Korra in a heartbeat...
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

ImageImageImage

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Well much as I liked seeing Korra with a guy, I'd be a hypocrite if I liked Naruto's ending and didn't accept the creator's wishes in this ending. I'm glad they're happy, I'm glad people who swing that way have these character now, I just can't personally identify with it (but then I guess that is how others feel about straight couples) and dislike the controversy and questions it brings up. It's too bad I'm not bi so I can't identify with both...

I still wonder what the point was of putting her with Mako originally though (and indeed to have it be endgame when the show was originally supposed to be one season long), the way their relationship fell apart was never really discussed beyond "we're attracted to each other but we just don't work." The problems we saw them go through seemed due to mutual immaturity rather than simply not being right for each other.

If nothing else I can now empathize with people who get invested with their interpretation of a character and feel betrayed when it ends up being incorrect, it's just still a new feeling for me (generally when I get invested my expectations are met). Unlike some though I won't call the maker's interpretations a lie or betrayal of the characters.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Ravenhull wrote:Mildly NSFW, but nothing truly seen:

Her name is Sandra Prikker, but damn she could pass for Korra in a heartbeat...
If she were two shades darker, she'd be a dead ringer for her. Aside from that... HOT'CHA MAMA!! ♥ :-o

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

i'd say she's already around korra's shade.
ImageImageImage

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Tenjen wrote:i'd say she's already around korra's shade.
Korra's skintone is darker than that.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

we'll should search for various RL skin tones that can be a proper cartoon equivalent
ImageImageImage

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Just PLEEEEEEEEASE do NOT let Shyamalan near it!!! :ympray:
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image