ITT you discuss Skyrim

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

sanzo

Re: ITT you discuss Skyrim

Post by sanzo »

Could it be... hmmm, a Khajit? :p

That's what I'm probably going to be sticking with as well. I appear to enjoy being sneaky

Yuzu: "Ugh... I knew mentioning it around Otakuro would be a bad idea..."

Atsuro: "Otakuro!? What's with that all of a sudden...? What's wrong with being an otaku!?"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ F*CK THIS TABLE.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

yes indeed. Duel weillding lynx!

Should I be duel wielding? Any pointers? Iam think of illusion magica too
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer »

Dual-wielding works perfectly fine. All the melee combat takes some getting used to, but stick with it and you should find them fun after a while. I've found my dual-wielding warrior to be more effective than my two-handed warrior, because the speed of the strikes results in you dishing out more damage quicker. Just remember, to actually pull off dual-wielding attacks you need to press both mouse buttons at once. Otherwise you'll just be swinging one sword after another, which isn't any faster than just using a single one-handed weapon.

milk experiment

Post by milk experiment »

Tenjen wrote:Should I be duel wielding? Any pointers? Iam think of illusion magica too
The main reason I ended up ditching dual-wielding for sword-and-shield was the better potential for magic protection. There's a block perk that gives you 50% resistance to elemental magic while blocking, and a shield you get from a daedric shrine quest that gives another 50% (or at least it did in Oblivion). The combination should allow my warrior character to stand toe-to-toe with the powerful litches and mages that have been kicking his ass so far.

I'm going to give dual-wielding another try with my next character -- a stealthy archer who needs to do lots of damage quickly if enemies find her and close in. Seems like a better fit for that play style.

Random Wanderer

You'll want to make sure you have plenty of stamina (kind of a given, but still worth repeating). The dual-wielding power attack is a fast and very damaging multi-strike move, and is your best bet at one-shot-killing most enemies. Combine it with the Elemental Fury dragon shout, which increases your attack speed, and anything that gets in your way dies.
The main reason I ended up ditching dual-wielding for sword-and-shield was the better potential for magic protection.
For most types of mages the solution is just to charge in and take them down as quickly as possible. For ice-mages it's more of a dodge like hell while trying to close in and kill them as quickly as possible. Ice magic is brutal against warriors, because not only does it slow you down, but it also drains your stamina. But by the mid-twenties, my dual-wielding warrior has proven capable of handling pretty much anything that gets in my way.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Okay so sneaking, alchemy, range, one hand, the smithing and enchanting. Illusionary magic. Maybe I should get healing too so iam not dependant on items but alchemy does reduce the need. Iam thinking some sort of offensive magic type. Basicly a kajiith assasin with magic skills based on dwception and self sufficiency.

I should wear ]lighter armor. This steal nord set from the bandit chief is too loud. Funny that no weapon matches to my claws yet.
hmmm I should invest in conjuration. Having friends to keep attention off me.
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Okay so sneaking, alchemy, range, one hand, the smithing and enchanting. Illusionary magic. Maybe I should get healing too so iam not dependant on items but alchemy does reduce the need. Iam thinking some sort of offensive magic type. Basicly a kajiith assasin with magic skills based on dwception and self sufficiency.

I should wear ]lighter armor. This steal nord set from the bandit chief is too loud. Funny that no weapon matches to my claws yet.
hmmm I should invest in conjuration. Having friends to keep attention off me.
ImageImageImage

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Post by Searcher »

My girl is duel fighter, those two handed weapons are just too slow ... plus I can throw fire at the ice mages while running at them to kill them with my Ebony sword.

I don't use the potions making stuff, I find it easier to just stock up on lots of food and get what I need from vendours, crafting takes away from killing. :D
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Most of the time my charecters are the type that makes a Brotherhood assassin not notice me even after I kill little Babette in front of him. Yes I'm that damn good. :p

But as for my bare-knuckle brawler...the "finishers" are even more brutal then with twin swords. Such as grab by throat punch twice and choke-slam that *****. Or grab their hair and punch them in the throat 3-4 times then let them drop. :-o
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

milk experiment

Random Wanderer wrote:You'll want to make sure you have plenty of stamina (kind of a given, but still worth repeating). The dual-wielding power attack is a fast and very damaging multi-strike move, and is your best bet at one-shot-killing most enemies. Combine it with the Elemental Fury dragon shout, which increases your attack speed, and anything that gets in your way dies.
I did try dual-wielding again after reading the thread this morning, and it's definitely a fast take-down for most enemies. I don't find it quite as fun, though. I think I've come to get too much of a charge out of shield-bashing enemies and then hitting them with a power attack when they're staggered. :D
Random Wanderer wrote:
The main reason I ended up ditching dual-wielding for sword-and-shield was the better potential for magic protection.
For most types of mages the solution is just to charge in and take them down as quickly as possible. For ice-mages it's more of a dodge like hell while trying to close in and kill them as quickly as possible. Ice magic is brutal against warriors, because not only does it slow you down, but it also drains your stamina. But by the mid-twenties, my dual-wielding warrior has proven capable of handling pretty much anything that gets in my way.
Most mages don't give me much trouble since I passed level 20 or so, but the dragon priest litches and that necromancer who's set up shop in Meridia's temple are still tough. Hard to close the distance on the later with all the minions he sends after you blocking your way. And even if you manage it he respawns as an undead after you kill him! ~X( I'm gonna go back there after I hit level 30 and slice that bastard into confetti.

Random Wanderer

Adamas wrote:Most of the time my charecters are the type that makes a Brotherhood assassin not notice me even after I kill little Babette in front of him. Yes I'm that damn good. :p
I would believe that Babette would fall under the "no killing children" rule in the game. She certainly wasn't there when I wiped out the Brotherhood rather than join it.
But as for my bare-knuckle brawler...the "finishers" are even more brutal then with twin swords. Such as grab by throat punch twice and choke-slam that *****. Or grab their hair and punch them in the throat 3-4 times then let them drop. :-o
I think my biggest objection to trying unarmed fighting is that there is no unarmed skill, so you are entirely dependent on three things: your equipment, whether you have Fists of Steel perk or not, and whether you are a Khajit or not. So far as I know, there are no other ways to increase it.
milk experiment wrote:Most mages don't give me much trouble since I passed level 20 or so, but the dragon priest litches and that necromancer who's set up shop in Meridia's temple are still tough. Hard to close the distance on the later with all the minions he sends after you blocking your way. And even if you manage it he respawns as an undead after you kill him! ~X( I'm gonna go back there after I hit level 30 and slice that bastard into confetti.
Hmm. I haven't encountered that situation. With most of the dragon priests I've been able to get up close as they're rising from their sarcophagi, and take them down pretty quickly. The exception to this was Volsung, who shot me full of ice spears whether I was right on top of him or not (most of them seemed to prefer to back away rather than attack me when I got right in their faces).

milk experiment

Random Wanderer wrote:
milk experiment wrote:Most mages don't give me much trouble since I passed level 20 or so, but the dragon priest litches and that necromancer who's set up shop in Meridia's temple are still tough. Hard to close the distance on the later with all the minions he sends after you blocking your way. And even if you manage it he respawns as an undead after you kill him! ~X( I'm gonna go back there after I hit level 30 and slice that bastard into confetti.
Hmm. I haven't encountered that situation. With most of the dragon priests I've been able to get up close as they're rising from their sarcophagi, and take them down pretty quickly. The exception to this was Volsung, who shot me full of ice spears whether I was right on top of him or not (most of them seemed to prefer to back away rather than attack me when I got right in their faces).
I've only faced two of the dragon priests so far. It's entirely possible I'm just not very good at it yet. :-?? :)

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

Random Wanderer wrote:
Adamas wrote:Most of the time my charecters are the type that makes a Brotherhood assassin not notice me even after I kill little Babette in front of him. Yes I'm that damn good. :p
I would believe that Babette would fall under the "no killing children" rule in the game. She certainly wasn't there when I wiped out the Brotherhood rather than join it.
Haven't actually tried. But by Talos she's an annoying one.

I think my biggest objection to trying unarmed fighting is that there is no unarmed skill, so you are entirely dependent on three things: your equipment, whether you have Fists of Steel perk or not, and whether you are a Khajit or not. So far as I know, there are no other ways to increase it.
Yeah I miss that too. :((
[
The Priests all tend to stay at a distance and use their staffs except for the one near the end of the main quest. For that bugger I just use Call Storm and hide. B-)

as for the Necro have a follower. "Force" the bugger into a wall and start pounding him while he's still getting up.
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

sanzo

Post by sanzo »

Become a werewolf or not. Hmmmm :-?

On one hand, I pretty much sneak kill everything I come across, except when I'm going from one place to another. So I don't know how much of a benefit it would be

On the other hand, it might be cool; a Khajit that can turn into a wolf

Yuzu: "Ugh... I knew mentioning it around Otakuro would be a bad idea..."

Atsuro: "Otakuro!? What's with that all of a sudden...? What's wrong with being an otaku!?"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ F*CK THIS TABLE.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh

Post by Tenjen »

Just got the summons. Was practicing my shout at wolves when it happened and I was all WTF WAS THAT. I realized it was a fullpowered shout after a while because I remembered 3 syllables.

The dragonreach hall revealed more. Now to earn 5000 for my home so I can store all this material weighing me down safely
ImageImageImage