MLP

Whether your tastes lean towards playing Halo or watching DVDs all day, this is the place to chat about anime, video games, TV shows, movies, toys, and more.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Re: MLP

Post by Ravenhull »

"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

milk experiment

Post by milk experiment »

This is adorable:

And this may now be my favorite Doctor Strangelove spoof image.

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

Seems I wasn't the only one to see the similarity

Holder of the Elder Scepter of Ebilnes, Elected Supreme Ruler
"Who are you? I mean, you're me, but I'm me too. How can there be two 'me's? It's not scientifically possible. You are not scientifically possible!" -Twilight Sparkle, to her future self.
Yira wrote:Whatever, labels are stupid. ...Unless it's a label gun, then we're talking tons of fun. "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! ...This is an awesome bar stool, but you can have it."

milk experiment

It occurred to me today that Twilight and Celestia are the only ones we've seen use teleportation. They almost seemed to make a point of having them both use it in the same episode in "Lesson Zero," after seeming to forget that Twi could teleport for ages. I wonder if we should make anything of that. :-?

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Let's see, the strongest raw potential mage and apprentice to a near sun goddess whose name invokes the terminus of day to night... Nah, just coincidence... ;)

Honestly, I'm half expecting her to sprout wings. And if she does, I wonder if another unicorn is brought in to balance things. Maybe one with some talent, but made an arse of herself in season one, but seeking redemption...

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer »

milk experiment wrote:It occurred to me today that Twilight and Celestia are the only ones we've seen use teleportation. They almost seemed to make a point of having them both use it in the same episode in "Lesson Zero," after seeming to forget that Twi could teleport for ages. I wonder if we should make anything of that. :-?
Well, we do know unicorn magic is distinctly limited in this version of My Little Pony. While it appears they all have telekinesis, other than that most unicorns seem to be limited to a few specific magics relating to their cutie mark. The only known exceptions are the princesses and Twilight. Twilight because her affinity is for magic itself, meaning all magic relates to her cutie mark, and the princesses because they are deific beings so it would probably take less time to tell us what they can't do. I believe it's intentional that Twilight is the only non-deity able to teleport, compared to the older MLP series where (as I understand it, having had to research it since I only saw fragments of it myself) all unicorns could teleport.

I don't know if they have anything deep they're planning to do with that. Probably not, but you never know.
milk experiment wrote:This is adorable:
OMZOMG teh cuteness! MUST! HUG! :ymhug: :ymhug:

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

milk experiment wrote:I'm curious -- is there a particular reason humanized Twi so often ends up in a sweater vest? Maybe something from an early humanization that seemed to fit so well it just stuck? Some meme I missed out on due to being late to the pony party?

Just a tangetial observation: It seems in most (or at least a lot) of her anthropics she is depicted as Asian. I wonder why that got started? :-??
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

Stereotyping: Asians are hardcore about schooling.
"Who are you? I mean, you're me, but I'm me too. How can there be two 'me's? It's not scientifically possible. You are not scientifically possible!" -Twilight Sparkle, to her future self.
Yira wrote:Whatever, labels are stupid. ...Unless it's a label gun, then we're talking tons of fun. "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! ...This is an awesome bar stool, but you can have it."

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

milk experiment

Wow, it didn't take long for someone to make a real Smartypants doll. "I really like her mane!" :)
Ravenhull wrote:Let's see, the strongest raw potential mage and apprentice to a near sun goddess whose name invokes the terminus of day to night... Nah, just coincidence... ;)

Honestly, I'm half expecting her to sprout wings. And if she does, I wonder if another unicorn is brought in to balance things. Maybe one with some talent, but made an arse of herself in season one, but seeking redemption...
Nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks Cellestia's training a replacement for her and Luna. Maybe alicorn wings take a few centuries to come in? Not sure I'm eager to see more of Trixie, however.

This reminds me of something Faust said in her interview with Equestrial Daily. Part of her response to a question about the effects of changing direction from her original vision of a more adventure-oriented show:
Lauren Faust wrote:I don’t think the consequences of this minor change in direction were really felt in Season 1 except for the quantity of the types of stories. The tone or humor would not have been different, and the expectation that we could start going in that direction in later seasons gave me hope that I could still fulfill some of the characters' grander destinies...
"Grander destinies," huh? :-?

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer »

If Twilight were to ascend (so to speak) any time during the series, I'm pretty sure it would be a series finale kind of thing. You cannot simply replace her and expect the series to go forward as it always has.

milk experiment

Agreed, it would have to be a grand finale kind of thing. Or maybe saved for FiM: The Movie :D?

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

Gah! My diabetes! Need...my...insulin!