Luna Questions? Ask Them Here!

Luna may be the perfect secret agent, but can she survive her toughest challenge yet--fitting in at high school?

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

viet_tomboi

Post by viet_tomboi »

no offence, but what's that for?

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

viet_necromancer wrote:no offence, but what's that for?
I suspect it was to direct the shambling zombie that is Dasaru to the Submissions Q&A thread, where his questions about submitting work to SSE could be answered. Mr. DeFilippis directed him to ask someone in the company rather than himself, and said that he thought that such questions could be answered elsewhere, though he didn't say where. 59cobalt merely expanded on that, providing a link to the thread in question.

viet_tomboi

Post by viet_tomboi »

wooow...you always ask the questions, Dasura :happyhappy:

viet_tomboi

Post by viet_tomboi »

:happyhappy: hahahaha! nice one =p :luv: :star: :luvu:

Nunzio DeFilippis

Post by Nunzio DeFilippis »

Dasaru wrote:Hey Mr. DeFilippis, I was wondering what made you interested in writing stories. Were you always a fan of manga, or did you write stories for other things first?
I've been writing since I was in grade school, and so has Christina. Storytelling has been in our blood ever since.

Christina and I wrote for television - ARLISS on HBO and some stories for Disney's KIM POSSIBLE - and American comic books - NEW MUTANTS, NEW X-MEN, SKINWALKER, THREE STRIKES and many other graphic novels for Oni Press - before writing LUNA.

I have become a manga fan as an adult - didn't read manga as a teenager or kid. But I've become enough of a fan that I started working as an adaptor of Japanese manga for Del Rey. Christina and I have adapted several series for them. (If you're interested, we've worked on these titles: GURU GURU PON-CHAN, KAGETORA, YOZAKURA QUARTET, KITCHEN PRINCESS, SHUGO CHARA, and the first few volumes of SUGAR SUGAR RUNE).

It doesn't pay all that well, but it's work, and it's in a field we love, so we do it as a side-gig to writing.
Dasaru wrote:Are you interested in other forms of art such as drawing? Have you ever considered creating your own business to publish your own works?
My art is awful. My stick figures don't even look good, so no luck there.

As to creating my own business... well, I admire what Jason has done with Seven Seas, but I don't think I could do it. He started the company with his own money, and it's too big a gamble. Plus, he's so busy, running every aspect of the company. I'm glad Adam came aboard to help him - I thought Jason would be hospitalized from exhaustion if he didn't get help.
Dasaru wrote:I'm also curious on what your favorite piece of writing is that you've done.
Tough one. I love both our Seven Seas books. Other than those two, I'd say two of our Oni Press books - THREE STRIKES and MARIA'S WEDDING. Those are the two I'm proudest of.
Dasaru wrote:I'm sure you've written a lot of stories and adventures. What kind of genre do you guys usually write?
We mix it up - a lot.

We've written a teen-drama-with-superpowers book in NEW X-MEN.

We've done standard super-hero stories in ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN and the recent OUTSIDERS: FIVE OF A KIND issue we wrote.

We've done a murder mystery in PAST LIES.

A haunted house adventure in THE TOMB.

A crime drama in THREE STRIKES.

A horror/suspense story in SKINWALKER.

A romantic comedy/family drama in MARIA'S WEDDING.

A shonen pirate tale in DESTINY'S HAND.

And a shojou secret-agent-in-school story in LUNA.

We also wrote R-rated comedy on ARLISS.

And Disney action/comedy fare in KIM POSSIBLE.

Plus we've just been hired to write (after the strike) a romantic comedy for a cable network.

So we're all over the map. We're trying to do a western at some point, and maybe a straight-up ghost story. Oh, and maybe a big sprawling space opera.

I think we want to write every genre we ever loved.

It drives our agent and manager nuts because we never stay in one genre too long.
Dasaru wrote:Or you do you guys think of the audience before you decide on the story?
Depends on how the situation evolves.

Normally, we decide what story excites us and then try to find a publisher/venue that has the right audience for it.

But if we have a contact or an 'in' with one publisher or producer, we see what their audience is, and think of stories we'd like to tell with that audience in mind.

So it happens both ways, really.

In the case of Seven Seas, we knew we wanted to work with them and be one of the writers for their launch titles. So we started thinking of stories we wanted to tell in manga format for a manga audience.
Dasaru wrote:And my last question is: Do you usually get this many questions from a random stranger that you meet online? lol XD
Well, that's what the thread is for, so I'm used to it. :)

viet_tomboi

Post by viet_tomboi »

do you mean the show for Luna?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: amazing agent luna

Post by Adam_Arnold »

kagome13 wrote::?: Is there a way that I could get the vol.1 of Amazing Agent Luna book?
We're releasing an Amazing Agent Luna Omnibus collecting volume 1-3 into a single book for $11.99. It comes out in late May, so that would be a good way to pick it up since the first three single volumes are out of print now (though, you can still find them in some bookstores and on some websites).

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

lordlancaster wrote:You're releasing Aoi House omnibus close to the end of the story... The Luna omnibus is a signal of a close end too?
The omnibus are really a way for us to rerelease the earlier volumes in a more economical package to bring in new readers and give new life to some of our best-selling series.

"Aoi House Omnibus Collection I" collects Aoi House Vol. 1-2 (i.e. the first 2 books of the 4).
"Amazing Agent Luna Omnibus 1" collects Amazing Agent Luna Vol. 1-3 (i.e. the first 3 books of the 5).

tokidoki-chan

Post by tokidoki-chan »

in volume 5 will learn anything about oliver's mother? or will she remain somewhat of a mystery by the end of the seris?

Nunzio DeFilippis

Post by Nunzio DeFilippis »

Arkangel2290 wrote:whats the show called??? :?:
Not sure what you're referring to. The romantic comedy for cable? That's a TV movie, not a series.

Still waiting for a go ahead on it, but right now, it's called TWO-STEP.
lordlancaster wrote:You're releasing Aoi House omnibus close to the end of the story... The Luna omnibus is a signal of a close end too?
Luna ends with Volume 5. But hopefully a series 2 will be in the works someday soon.
tokidoki-chan wrote:in volume 5 will learn anything about oliver's mother? or will she remain somewhat of a mystery by the end of the seris?
Oliver's mom is a character in Volume 5.