Is speculation bad manners around these parts?

Luna may be the perfect secret agent, but can she survive her toughest challenge yet--fitting in at high school?

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

Contra Glove

Is speculation bad manners around these parts?

Post by Contra Glove »

Hi all,

I get the feeling that speculating future plot developments around here is a bad thing to do. Granted, I do not expect any confirmations -- or even responses -- from DeFilippis, Weir, or Shiei regarding any of it, but I am aware of the legal issues regarding fanfiction:
Wikipedia wrote:Many writers and producers state that they do not read fan fiction, citing a fear of being accused of stealing a fan's ideas, but encourage its creation nonetheless. When Buffy the Vampire Slayer went off the air, for instance, creator Joss Whedon encouraged fans to read fan fiction during the show's timeslot.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_issu ... an_fiction
I know that what I'm posting isn't "fanfiction" as such, but I get the feeling that I'm doing something wrong by posting my little theories, since the creators read these boards.
My actual name is Rawle Nyanzi.

Nunzio DeFilippis

Re: Is speculation bad manners around these parts?

Post by Nunzio DeFilippis »

Contra Glove wrote:Hi all,

I get the feeling that speculating future plot developments around here is a bad thing to do. Granted, I do not expect any confirmations -- or even responses -- from DeFilippis, Weir, or Shiei regarding any of it, but I am aware of the legal issues regarding fanfiction:
Wikipedia wrote:Many writers and producers state that they do not read fan fiction, citing a fear of being accused of stealing a fan's ideas, but encourage its creation nonetheless. When Buffy the Vampire Slayer went off the air, for instance, creator Joss Whedon encouraged fans to read fan fiction during the show's timeslot.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_issu ... an_fiction
I know that what I'm posting isn't "fanfiction" as such, but I get the feeling that I'm doing something wrong by posting my little theories, since the creators read these boards.
Christina and I have no problem with you posting speculation. We can't comment on it very often, because either way, confirming or denying, we may spoil things. But we like it when you speculate.

The only problem it ever causes for me is when people get so attached to the version they imagined, they're disappointed when they see the actual pages down the line. But such is life as a writer, you know?