Q&A WITH ADAM

Follow the trials and tribulations of two down-on-their-luck college guys who join an anime club dominated by crazed yaoi fangirls! (Archived forum section.)

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

Is Shiei going to be drawing any other manga besides AAL, like "Mammarazzi"?

I'm sure that's her art....

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Ooh, Dark Knight. Your thoughts? It's gotten an impressive 95% on rotten tomatoes thus far and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I wonder what someone who's a comic book fan such as yourself would think of it. It certainly wasn't the same batman I remember watching as a kid.

59cobalt

Post by 59cobalt »

dogby wrote:so adam how was the con?
*ahem*

cu
59cobalt
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight flaw in my character."
--Li Kao (Barry Hughart: Bridge of Birds)

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

dogby wrote:so adam how was the con?
Very exhausing, but well worth the trip.

You can read more in my aoi notes:
http://www.gomanga.com/webmanga/index.p ... =498#notes
http://www.gomanga.com/webmanga/index.p ... =499#notes
http://www.gomanga.com/webmanga/index.p ... =500#notes

Peregrin wrote:Ooh, Dark Knight. Your thoughts? It's gotten an impressive 95% on rotten tomatoes thus far and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I wonder what someone who's a comic book fan such as yourself would think of it. It certainly wasn't the same batman I remember watching as a kid.
Oh, I loved The Dark Knight. I thought it was absolutely amazing. It's a must see. Heck, just about every super-hero movie out this summer is a winner (with the exception of Hancock), so be sure to check out Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk and Hellboy 2 also.

StrateryB wrote:Is Shiei going to be drawing any other manga besides AAL, like "Mammarazzi"?
I'm sure that's her art....
Good eye. Yes, Shiei did draw that piece of Mamarazzi artwork.

As for other series, we're currently looking into getting Shiei set up with something new.

quarteni

Post by quarteni »

I know you recently got done with a con, but does Seven Seas ever make it out New York way? The New York Anime Festival perhaps? I think I remember Seven Seas going to the New York Comic-Con... =w=;;

If so, who usually goes? ^_^
Image Image Image Image

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

quarteni wrote:I know you recently got done with a con, but does Seven Seas ever make it out New York way? The New York Anime Festival perhaps? I think I remember Seven Seas going to the New York Comic-Con... =w=;;

If so, who usually goes? ^_^
Yeah, Seven Seas was at New York Comic-Con this year back around March/April. Jason and Yayoi were there, as well as some of the people from Tor Books.

Since they didn't pay for me to go, I wasn't there... but maybe next year...?

quarteni

Post by quarteni »

I see! I might actually have a chance to go next year! I have tickets (I won 'em! ~_^ ), but traveling's the major problem now... ;.; It's so far...

Thanks for answering! ^_^
Image Image Image Image

zingmaster

Post by zingmaster »

So when you started this series, was the idea something you had been mulling over for a long time, or did you hit a massive burst of inspiration that's carried you this far?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

zingmaster wrote:So when you started this series, was the idea something you had been mulling over for a long time, or did you hit a massive burst of inspiration that's carried you this far?
At its core, Aoi House's concept is being about a group of American anime fans. So my idea was really just and it came from my own experiences at cons and from working on Animefringe (the anime webzine that I co-created). It evolved from there, but the core that it was about American otaku never changed.

zingmaster

Post by zingmaster »

Is your writing mostly based on said concept of any American anime fans, or are there parts that are autobiographical?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

zingmaster wrote:Is your writing mostly based on said concept of any American anime fans, or are there parts that are autobiographical?
There are some minor bits that are pulled from real life experiences (i.e. some con stuff), but the vast majority of the series is completely made up.

zingmaster

Post by zingmaster »

So off of my previous question, is there anything you've ever written that scared you because it was too honest or revealing? Or have you avoided that monster?

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

zingmaster wrote:So off of my previous question, is there anything you've ever written that scared you because it was too honest or revealing? Or have you avoided that monster?
To add to this, would you share something honest or revealing about you to get over your fears of doing so?

In addition, due to some recent tuffles in the Creators' Corner, I must ask: what is you opinion on pursuing a career in manga from a young age? Do you feel having a go at college and academics should come first?