Q&A WITH ADAM

Follow the trials and tribulations of two down-on-their-luck college guys who join an anime club dominated by crazed yaoi fangirls! (Archived forum section.)

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Q&A WITH ADAM

Post by Adam_Arnold »

This new thread is dedicated to me answering questions you might have about anything I collect or have done. I can't really take credit for the idea of starting this thread, it just sort of happened after a few posts to the Love Hina thread in the Manga Maniacs section, but it sounded cool.

In fact, it all splintered off from this post about all the various Love Hina products...

"There are a lot of [Love Hina] items I don't have, but I did make it a point to collect all the books. Anything associated with the manga, I had to have. It's just one of those anal-retentive things.

I also did that with Pita-Ten."
Last edited by Giz on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:37 am, edited 6 times in total.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

When I work on a series, I tend to go all out and immerse myself in whatever it is I'm working on. I buy merchandise of the characters if I can find it, I get all the books I can find and, in the case of Misha-san from Pita-Ten, make the character's voices one of my own (literally).

English Adaptation pretty much consists of doing a script rewrite to make the translation fit into the word balloons, make it flow better all around, do copy editing (and others do further copy editing, if needed) and some other things. A lot of "specifics" I just can't talk about for confidentialty reasons.

Something I try to do if watch one or two episodes of the anime, if there is one, for the series I'm working on so I can at least make sure the characters are speaking correctly. I actually prefer fansubs when I do this since I find the series haven't themselves gone through the adaptation process (no two subs are alike). However, in the case of G Gundam's manga, I was actually told to make it as close to the domestic Bandai dub as possible. Really, that's just something to get you started and it falls to the very back of your mind after a few pages.

My biggest rule is that while I might watch a fansub, I don't read scanlations of the titles I work on. It's the simple fact that I do not want a scanlation to influence my work and I want to trust in the translation I have been given.
Last edited by Giz on Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Baka-DallasII wrote:Have you ever collected manga or anime that was purely Japanese?? Or is most of the manga/anime you own English Edited??
I have some quite a few Japanese tankoubon, but not as many as my domestic releases. Probably the most major Japanese tanks I have are all 18 volumes of Sailor Moon and the three Sailor V volumes. Some others I'll name are the first thirteen Battle Royale manga, Read or Die (4 ova, 2 tv), the two volumes of Whisper of the Heart, Azumanga Daioh (4 volumes). Honestly, there are too many too name all at once. I also spent a considerable amount of time buying Japanese anthology magazines and only recently stopped. The problem is I generally start buying a series and it gets licensed and I end up buying the English release anyway.

Also, what is the difference between fansub and digisub. I've never heard these terms before. Are they some kind of Fan Fic???
Sorry, I didn't mean digisub...I meant scanlation. I corrected that in my earlier post.

Fansub refers to fan translated, subbed and timed anime. The term is an all encompassing term, but used to only be for VHS fansubs.

Digisub is what fansubs became when releases went from being VHS only to computer only. Now Fansub is used to describe them all.

Scanlation is a fan translation of a manga.

So, Adam, what manga and anime do you plan on getting involved with??
Not sure what you mean. Right now I'm working on the adaptations of PhD: Phantasy Degree and Blazin' Barrels for TOKYOPOP.

Do you have any plans for future mangas like AOI House??
That would be telling.

(god, this sounds like an interview.) Hmm, you know, that might not be a bad idea.... Hey, Adam, you should have someone interview you, and post it on the site!!! Unless you were already interviewed??
No, I haven't been interviewed yet. I've been too busy interviewing other people. Maybe I'll interview myself...or not. That's just kinda funky.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Baka-DallasII wrote:Jez!!!! You have more japanese manga than all my friends' english manga!!! You must take a lot of care in preserving your manga!!!
I'm anal retentive...so yeah.

Which manga/anime do you cherish the most???

I dunno. That's a tough one. My tastes change too often. I guess I'll always have a special place for Sailor Moon and Tenchi-Muyo!

Out of all that you own, which would you want to keep forever??
Anything I've worked on.

The one manga that is sealed tightly and locked up in a safe?
All of them. <g>

Seriously though, there are three...I have a signed copy of GTO...I have the first printing of Magic Knight Rayearth Vol. 1 (TOKYOPOP's rare first Pocket Manga. The second printing was at a larger size with a differnet cover)...and a misprint copy of Ai Yori Aoshi Vol. 1.

You could make a forum topic specifically just to ask questions to you!!! It could be called something like: "Adam's Corner" or something!! That would be awesome!! That way, you won't get people asking you questions all the time about the same thing that you would repeat other places, and you'd give people some "inside peek" at what you do!!
I just might do that.
Last edited by Giz on Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

starlightgenie

Post by starlightgenie »

adam, how much manga do you have in your giant collection and how are you able to clean your room with so much stuff around?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

starlightgenie wrote:adam, how much manga do you have in your giant collection

Oh god, um...I...that is...uh... *sweats*

I really have no idea. I used to catalogue everything I bought, but I stopped around 2002. It just became too unmanagable. A really rough guess would be more than 500. That's strictly manga in the standard trade paper back format you know and love. There are a ton of titles I've never bought in TPB form that I have single issues and anthologys of.

and how are you able to clean your room with so much stuff around?
Clean?
The point is rather to fill every surface with so much stuff that the dust becomes invicible. The only things I rend to clean are my desk and game systems. Anything on a self...forget it!
The second I touch something...it's like Mouse Trap...it could be deadly. o_o

DallasII wrote:Yea, so, do you even keep anything in your actual room at home??? You've never explained what was in your room before, just your office.
My room is my office. It's one and the same.

starlightgenie

Post by starlightgenie »

thank's for the reply! here's another question: with all the work you have to do, are you ever sleep deprived?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

starlightgenie wrote:thank's for the reply! here's another question: with all the work you have to do, are you ever sleep deprived?
I was when I actually had a full-time day job. Now, I have vampire's hours. I generally don't even go to bed until around 4 or 6 AM and then wake up around noon or later.

There are reasons for this:

1.) Gomanga.com is updated at night/early morning.

2.) I find it's easier to write at night.

Hai

Post by Hai »

misprint copy of Ai Yori Aoshi Vol. 1
What do you mean misprint? And how many "misprints" were printed before someone discovered them?

Cheers!
HAI!

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Less than a dozen still exist. It was a part of a test run.

Ryokosha
Hidden Lawsuit

Post by Ryokosha »

Just curious but what was the misprint, something on the cover or mistranslated text or something?