[AHoriginal] - Craziest College Freebies?

Follow the trials and tribulations of two down-on-their-luck college guys who join an anime club dominated by crazed yaoi fangirls! (Archived forum section.)

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

My one word advice for anyone still in school...never ever ever write anything with a school in it where the plot is about 1.) the school burning down, 2.) the school blowing up or 3.) students dying. You'll end up in the guidence office and god knows what else these days. Teachers are waaaay too underpaid and too paranoid these days to understand their students anymore.

As for plays...I'd suggest trying to act out the parts and see if you can understand it better. If that doesn't work, just rent the movie. It doesn't matter how you get the material as long as it clicks. If Shakespeare isn't your thing at the moment, then I'd love to recommend the movie "Shakespeare in Love" and The Sandman #19 "A Midsummer Night's Dream" (collected in The Sandman: Dream Country TPB).

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

But in plays, you got one person that talks about the same thing for like 2 pages!!
You probably haven't seen Clerks or any of Kevin Smith's other films then. ^_^

Ashandorath

Post by Ashandorath »

a bit of necromancy never hurt anyone. (enjoy the wall of text).

A few interesting moments from my time in school.

Before one french class we wrote "the students are on strike" and went into the classroom next door. After reading the text (we weren't in the classroom) she came out again and spotted one of the classmates on lookout (class continued as normal, the teacher was laughing about the incident though).

Way back in fifth grade we built a lot of paper airplanes. Our school had a very large inner hall (about 3 very large stories high). From the ceiling there hung some ropes in some sort of ornamental ropes. We would through paper airplanes from the top, and they had a tendency to get stuck in the ropes. There could be up to 30 paper airplanes in there. The school got so annoyed that they forbade us to through any more paper airplanes down.
note: Every year, all the way to the end of highschool i saw paper airplanes made by fifth graders stuck up there. :sweat:

4. At one time a part of the class was off to edinburgh, while the rest continued school as normal. Since it was so lax (the teachers weren't interested in leaving the students in edinburgh behind concerning school material), some people brought in beer and kept it in the small closets at the back of the room (note: we can drink beer and whine at the age of 16 over here). We also brought in a water heater (to make tea). It managed to get locked in a closet for which nobody had the key. On a side note, somebody managed to lose the key to his closet. We tried to get the lock off, but only ended up damaging the closet. So before we called the janitor to take the lock off, we had to repair the closet.

Also regarding alcohol: Once during a school outing (we went somewhere for a week) somebody managed to drink so much alcohol that we were worried about him getting alcohol poisoning. On another week-outing one guy got drunk and threw up in the train. We then got on a ship (people were still getting drunk, this time it was more of a vacation with the class for a week). We ran into some stormy weather. Drunkenness and high waves don't mix well. Simply put most of the class ended up being sea-sick. The ship was rocking so violently you couldn't walk in a straight line. While everybody was throwing up I went and got myself something to eat (I was hungry :) ) I also had to break open the lock on my suitcase on that trip using a pocketknife. Only took me about 3 minutes worth of work with the pliers. Shows what pathetic workmanship it was.

We also managed to damage the blackboard. Somebody pulled a prank on someone else, and it ended up in a chase. During it the teachers desk got toppled over, the legs struck the blackboard and cracked it. To hide it the students responsible used chalk and "shaded" the areas that were damaged. It took a month or two till one of the teachers noticed that the board was damaged (the cracks were shaded all that time).

During geography the fire alarm went off. After about five minutes everybody was annoyed by the buzzing (the noise didn't reach the classroom very well). So the teacher went out to see what was going. Came back and said that the fire alarm was on, then went back out to check why. The school director told him it was harmless. Five minutes later though we needed to evacuate the building (there was smoke everywhere, but it wasn't very thick). Nobody was hurt in the incident (but it does make you wonder, what would have happened if there really had been a fire...).

Oh and the thing of P.E. I like. They need more of it!! P.E. is fun!! I love it!! Most people love P.E. because you get to play games and sports!! But everyone hates P.E. when you are forced to run!! Boo!!! We all hate running!!!
One nice thing about my school was that while P.E. got graded, it didn't count (it just got listed in the report card, but you couldn't flunk because of it, and nobody cared what you got, since you actually had to work at being lazy to get a non-passing grade). This resulted in the teachers not managing to get the class to do anything they didn't wanted (during highschool), so we never had to go running :).

Some teachers wanted the students to stand up when they came in at the beginning of the class. However it also depended on which class it was. Once some students had to retake an exam (they were sick on the original date), and were to take it during the class of a lower grade. When the teacher came in, all the students from the lower grade stood up, while the others remained seated.

Also I've noticed that the first five minutes a teacher has with a class are the most important. One teacher failed at seeming strict. This resulted in there being ball-games going on during class. And during one exam one guy asked his neighbor (we were having an exam on greek mythology) what kind stall hercules had had to clean (it was multiple choice). The neighbor mooed fairly loudly as a response. The teacher didn't do anything.

One other time during german class, we were required to write a characterisation of a person in a book. Since I decided that my chance of getting picked were slim (1/20) I only wrote 2-3 sentences of congested adjectives.
After class started my chances of getting picked went to 1/10. Those who hadn't done it were required to do it again (and it would get graded). Then I got called on to read mine. I asked if it didn't matter that it was really short. She said it was fine. After I read my few sentences she said:"yeah, that's really short, you get to do it again."
Later I found out that a several people had stolen their version from wikipedia (one of them had gotten called on). Just shows how much we cared about the homework :)

The same teacher had a tendency of calling on students who didn't say much during class (especially me). Sometimes she would start with "you're being awfully quiet today,...". I managed to get back at a later date when I had to present a book to the class. "You're awfully quiet to [teachers first name], why don't you read this aloud for us?" Her answer was "At least you don't have to worry about me reading it slowly".

Adam Arnold wrote:My one word advice for anyone still in school...never ever ever write anything with a school in it where the plot is about 1.) the school burning down, 2.) the school blowing up or 3.) students dying.
Could've done this and never seen a single councilor (had that kind of reputation). However a friend of mine in a different class didn't. During one class (it's called "religion", but it's more of "philosophy and religions of the world") a classmate of his asked him openly if he had a list of people he wanted to kill. He of course answered yes. The teacher asked him if this were true and he answered yes again. Knowing him he was also grinning really widely. In any case the teacher took it seriously (I don't think any of the students did though), and he had to see some psychologists.

For all those thinking of taking latin in schools: it doesn't get easier with time, only more confusing. It is however fairly interesting, so if you think you're up for the challenge, go for it. However do make sure to repeat the vocabulary often enough, so you don't have to learn about 400 words in one week. While I can guarantee that it can be done (you just have to invest different class hours to learn words), you'll flunk the exam, not because you didn't study enough, but because you studied too much. I ended up getting a headache every time I even looked at a word in latin (I'm actually serious.)
Interestingly enough, my year was an oddity, because the men outnumbered the women (3 men and 1 woman, usually the latin class consists out of almost only women).
It also helps out knowing which words end on -i in plural in english (my pet peeve when it comes to english).

I'm not going to spellcheck this. it's 1:40 in the morning. (I get almost 5 hours of sleep now :( )

btw, AOI house omnibuses have been ordered per amazon :)

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Ashandorath wrote:a bit of necromancy never hurt anyone.
Begs to differ.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

In this case, that was a really long and well thought out post, though.