Romancing the Stone reference?

Follow the trials and tribulations of two down-on-their-luck college guys who join an anime club dominated by crazed yaoi fangirls! (Archived forum section.)

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

ValisFan

Romancing the Stone reference?

Post by ValisFan »

http://gomanga.com/webmanga/index.php?s ... i&page=302

Did anyone else catch the reference from the 1984 movie "Romancing the Stone" in this page? Maria is reading a novel by "Joan Wilder" who is a character from "Romancing the Stone" who writes romance novels.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Yep, Romancing the Stone is one of my favorite movies, so Maria's book is a sly reference to the romance novelist from that movie and its sequel (Jewel of the Nile).

Random aside...
There was going to be another sequel to Romancing the Stone called "Crimson Eagle," but it never got off the ground. Supposedly, there's some other new spiritual sequel starring Douglas called "Racing the Monsoon" that's in production, but not much has been said about it as of late.

Anyway, the title of Maria's book here is kind of a what if Joan Wilder was like Danielle Steele and kept writing best sellers. So with keeping with the whole "gemstone motif" of the other Wilder titles, I picked "Diamond in the Rough" since it seemed to fit well with "Romancing the Stone" and "Jewel of the Nile."

ValisFan

Post by ValisFan »

Haha thanks. Maria probably would like Reading Joan Wilder's cheesy romance novels. I also really like Romancing the Stone, it was full of action exploration, and romance. Jewel of the Nile was OK. It was kinda cheesy and didn't have the whole treasure hunt feel of Romancing the Stone. I really hope Racing the Monsoon comes out. And there actually are several romance novels in real life called "Diamond in the Rough."