AOI HOUSE (Week 163-164) - Things That Go Moo

Follow the trials and tribulations of two down-on-their-luck college guys who join an anime club dominated by crazed yaoi fangirls! (Archived forum section.)

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

59cobalt wrote:
Peregrin wrote:Y'know, France is a beautiful country with few food restrictions. Also, London. The economy might screw you over, though. Unless you're Canadian.
In Britain it won't be the economy that'll screw you over.

cu
59cobalt
Please elaborate.

59cobalt

Post by 59cobalt »

"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight flaw in my character."
--Li Kao (Barry Hughart: Bridge of Birds)

lugger91
Location: I'm in your fridge, mixing your fruit with your meat and cheese.

Post by lugger91 »

Not a huge fan of Morrison on 'Batman' myself but he has gotten 'rave' reviews on his run. I've enjoyed the 'Damian' and 'Club of Hero's' stories but his whole relationship with Jezebet Jet strikes me as dull and obnoxious. When I read his work on Batman I get the feeling as though there's a residue of Flash and Superman humor. However, I've never enjoyed the 60's and 70's Batman comics and Morrison definitely gives 'Batman' that feel. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on Morrison's run since you've just recently read them.
[img]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb67/lugger91/gungrave.png[/img]

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

59cobalt wrote:
Peregrin wrote:
59cobalt wrote: In Britain it won't be the economy that'll screw you over.
Please elaborate.
Mmmm... dunno, how about

URLOL!

for starters?

cu
59cobalt
Please. I'm an American.

As for you, Alex, WELL DONE, sir. I've been scheduling a LOTR marathon for early August. With the extended editions. Geeky, yes. But also undeniably awesome. You beat the crap out of my fourth of July.

59cobalt

Post by 59cobalt »

Peregrin wrote:
59cobalt wrote:
Peregrin wrote: Please elaborate.
Mmmm... dunno, how about

URLOL!

for starters?
Please. I'm an American.
Oh. Right. That certainly does exempt you from being fucked by any government on this planet. Not.

Delusion much?

cu
59cobalt
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight flaw in my character."

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

59cobalt wrote:Oh. Right. That certainly does exempt you from being f**ked by any government on this planet. Not.

Delusion much?

cu
59cobalt
At the risk of making this discussion even more politicized and Serious Business, Peregrin may be sarcastically alluding to the USA PATRIOT Act and other pieces of anti-terrorism legislation that have been passed in the United States since 9/11, indicating that he's already familiar with such "screwing over" as you just described in Britain.

That said,
Last edited by Guest on Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

lugger91 wrote:Not a huge fan of Morrison on 'Batman' myself but he has gotten 'rave' reviews on his run. I've enjoyed the 'Damian' and 'Club of Hero's' stories but his whole relationship with Jezebet Jet strikes me as dull and obnoxious. When I read his work on Batman I get the feeling as though there's a residue of Flash and Superman humor. However, I've never enjoyed the 60's and 70's Batman comics and Morrison definitely gives 'Batman' that feel. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on Morrison's run since you've just recently read them.
Actually, he's going after 50's Batman comics, so things are even more bizarre as that was the very out there Sci-Fi era of Batman. Though, I'm a huge Bat-Mite fan, so just seeing that character again makes this storyline worth it.

Grant's run on Batman feels a lot like his run on Animal Man (which was one of my favorite comic runs). I love obscure, forgotten characters, and this book is full of them.

As for the Jezebel Jet relationship, I can see why she was introduced. We haven't had a Vicki Vale level romantic interest for Bruce in a long time, so it's nice to see one introduced again to give us a reason to see Bruce Wayne out and about. But Grant Morrison never just puts someone into his books, there's probably something deeper there.

I'm just excited about all the crazy revelations that are really shaking up the Batman mythos. Martha Wayne was a drug addict? Alfred might be Bruce's father? Thomas Wayne may have had his wife killed...and faked his death?! It's all just so grand, and it's pure Grant Morrison.

59cobalt

Post by 59cobalt »

Lord Styphon wrote:
59cobalt wrote:Oh. Right. That certainly does exempt you from being f**ked by any government on this planet. Not.

Delusion much?
At the risk of making this discussion even more politicized and Serious Business, Peregrin may be sarcastically alluding to the USA PATRIOT Act and other pieces of anti-terrorism legislation that have been passed in the United States since 9/11, indicating that he's already familiar with such "screwing over" as you just described in Britain.
But that would be unrelated to the point (economy vs. government screwing you over in Britain), wouldn't it?

Besides, "being used to it" somehow doesn't strike me as something to be proud of.
That said,
Because it's my world these &*$!§%# keep messing up. Plus, it's the Internet. Serious Business!!1!

That said, I kinda like the picture. :sweat:

cu
59cobalt

lugger91
Location: I'm in your fridge, mixing your fruit with your meat and cheese.

Post by lugger91 »

Adam Arnold wrote:
lugger91 wrote:Not a huge fan of Morrison on 'Batman' myself but he has gotten 'rave' reviews on his run. I've enjoyed the 'Damian' and 'Club of Hero's' stories but his whole relationship with Jezebet Jet strikes me as dull and obnoxious. When I read his work on Batman I get the feeling as though there's a residue of Flash and Superman humor. However, I've never enjoyed the 60's and 70's Batman comics and Morrison definitely gives 'Batman' that feel. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on Morrison's run since you've just recently read them.
Actually, he's going after 50's Batman comics, so things are even more bizarre as that was the very out there Sci-Fi era of Batman. Though, I'm a huge Bat-Mite fan, so just seeing that character again makes this storyline worth it.

Grant's run on Batman feels a lot like his run on Animal Man (which was one of my favorite comic runs). I love obscure, forgotten characters, and this book is full of them.

As for the Jezebel Jet relationship, I can see why she was introduced. We haven't had a Vicki Vale level romantic interest for Bruce in a long time, so it's nice to see one introduced again to give us a reason to see Bruce Wayne out and about. But Grant Morrison never just puts someone into his books, there's probably something deeper there.

I'm just excited about all the crazy revelations that are really shaking up the Batman mythos. Martha Wayne was a drug addict? Alfred might be Bruce's father? Thomas Wayne may have had his wife killed...and faked his death?! It's all just so grand, and it's pure Grant Morrison.
I think I might enjoy Morrison's work on Batman more if it were out the of the whole DC universe and it's own seperate entity like Frank Miller's work. But yeah, in general I love Morrison's stories, I just don't like it when Batman's universe gets shaken up, but that's me. Bat-Mite doesn't quite pull it off like Mr. Mxyzptlk for me probably because of the difference between the Superman and Batman characters. I think Superman and Mxyzptlk are just funnier. I get the feeling that the Martha/Alfred/Thomas thing might be just to cover-up something bigger, or at least I hope so.
[img]http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb67/lugger91/gungrave.png[/img]

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

DawnBandit

Post by DawnBandit »

I might be a bit behind on the curve, but for some odd reason, Elle's "scythe" reminds me a lot of Buffy's from the recent comics.