AOI HOUSE (Week 129) - Countdown to Midnight

Follow the trials and tribulations of two down-on-their-luck college guys who join an anime club dominated by crazed yaoi fangirls! (Archived forum section.)

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

AOI HOUSE (Week 129) - Countdown to Midnight

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Last edited by Giz on Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:01 am, edited 4 times in total.

Keyblade Master Sora

Post by Keyblade Master Sora »

Yah for the Full Metal Alchemist!

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

Dun... dududu–duh... dududun dun dun... dududu–duh... dududun dun dun dun du–dududu–dududun dun dun dun dun du–n duuuuuuuun dududududu–n

"IT'S THE FINAL COUNTDOWN!"

(repeat several times).

I don't think that this was the intended reference. But if it was... mad props to Adam and his knowledge of that one song by that one band called Europe.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Yeah, it's intentional. Though, it doesn't really make for good New Year's music.

zingmaster

Post by zingmaster »

Adam Arnold wrote:Though, it doesn't really make for good New Year's music.
What are you blabbering about?! Of course it makes great New Year's music! Then immediately segue into Auld Lang Syne once the new year rolls in.

Peregrin

Post by Peregrin »

I beg to differ. In fact, I can't think of a time that would be wrong for that song. You can always have a final countdown.

Nice sunglasses/Ed Elric combo there, by the way. I think the UASOS brigade needs some shades as well.

59cobalt

Post by 59cobalt »

zingmaster wrote:
Adam Arnold wrote:Though, it doesn't really make for good New Year's music.
What are you blabbering about?! Of course it makes great New Year's music! Then immediately segue into Auld Lang Syne once the new year rolls in.
The Slade version, of course ...

cu
59cobalt
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight flaw in my character."
--Li Kao (Barry Hughart: Bridge of Birds)

59cobalt

Post by 59cobalt »

Sargon wrote:Plus, do you know what the song is about? It's about a rocket. A stupid rocket. The lyrics, over-produced orchestration and apocalyptic trumpets make it sound like the world is ending, and the song is about a stupid-a** rocket.
Who cares? It still rocks. Besides, did you ever see a rocket take off? Pretty impressive in my book.
And what was the deal with 80s bands naming themselves after foreign cities and continents? There's Europe, Asia, and I heard that Motley Crüe was originally named Paris.
Ummm... you do realize that Europe actually are from Sweden, don't you? Last time I checked that country was still part of Europe.

cu
59cobalt
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight flaw in my character."

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Sargon wrote:I don't think that song is good for any occasion.
No, it's always appropriate for... a magic show!!
Last edited by Giz on Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

How is a band naming itself after a continent inherently lamer than a band naming itself after anything else?

59cobalt

Post by 59cobalt »

Sargon wrote:
59cobalt wrote:
Sargon wrote:Plus, do you know what the song is about? It's about a rocket. A stupid rocket. The lyrics, over-produced orchestration and apocalyptic trumpets make it sound like the world is ending, and the song is about a stupid-a** rocket.
Who cares? It still rocks. Besides, did you ever see a rocket take off? Pretty impressive in my book.
And what was the deal with 80s bands naming themselves after foreign cities and continents? There's Europe, Asia, and I heard that Motley Crüe was originally named Paris.
Ummm... you do realize that Europe actually are from Sweden, don't you? Last time I checked that country was still part of Europe.
I guess Europe can be exempted from stupid 80s band names, seeing as they are European, but that doesn't make it much better. It's still a band naming themselves after a continent, and the effect is overblown and ridiculous.
That coming from someone with the nickname "Sargon" ...

For those who didn't know: "Sargon" comes from Akkadian "Å arru-kinu", which means "the true king".
And the song (and its stupid synth trumpet fanfare) don't "rock." The correct term is "exude lameness." I wouldn't say The Final Countdown is the lamest song I've ever heard (only Captain and Tenille's Muskrat Love can claim that title) but it definitely makes the short list.
Feh. The song still beats a good 95% of what's in the charts nowadays. Hands down.

cu
59cobalt