Does anybody feel sorry for Alex?

Follow the trials and tribulations of two down-on-their-luck college guys who join an anime club dominated by crazed yaoi fangirls! (Archived forum section.)

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

DawnBandit

Post by DawnBandit »

[sarcasm]I think Alex is totally wrong for Morgan and Elle and should go off and marry a giant robot or Carlos or something. Alex x Carlos FTW![/sarcasm]

Buckeroo

Post by Buckeroo »

I'll say this... I do not feel sorry for Alex now, but if the full storyline turns out the way I fear it will, I shall.

Aoi House is clearly a Big Brother-style reality show targeted towards the otaku population (hence I assume it will be spread virally through the internet rather than having any kind of chance on television). Why do I say this? The "confessional" style conversations with Big Brother himself.

The date with Carlo was clearly set up one way or another, and I fear the potential relationships just may be as well. Now, there have been instances of real-life romance popping up due to reality shows, but what is to stop an unscrupulous producer from fabricating emotional ties? Why can't these girls just be really good actresses?

I hope that's not the way it turns out, but if it is... poor Alex.

DawnBandit

Post by DawnBandit »

Buckeroo wrote:I'll say this... I do not feel sorry for Alex now, but if the full storyline turns out the way I fear it will, I shall.

Aoi House is clearly a Big Brother-style reality show targeted towards the otaku population (hence I assume it will be spread virally through the internet rather than having any kind of chance on television). Why do I say this? The "confessional" style conversations with Big Brother himself.

The date with Carlo was clearly set up one way or another, and I fear the potential relationships just may be as well. Now, there have been instances of real-life romance popping up due to reality shows, but what is to stop an unscrupulous producer from fabricating emotional ties? Why can't these girls just be really good actresses?

I hope that's not the way it turns out, but if it is... poor Alex.
Does this mean that the whole Alex and Morgan relationship, as well as the "Morgan x Alex x Elle" Love Triangle is all a clever ruse by Oniisan? Other than Oniisan, Adam (who exists outside the dimension of Aoi House) is the only one who really pulls the strings, and since he IS the writer, once can expect that. Please clarify your connection from a "Big Brother style arranged love" to Aoi House.

Buckeroo

Post by Buckeroo »

No no, the arranged love triangle is not a certainty, just a fear.

As for connecting Aoi House to a Big Brother-style reality show, all the signs are there. The confessionals, the shadowy Oniisan (producer, host, figurehead, what have you), things falling into place that would seem to never happen, even in a comic like this... I don't like my brain. It can make some very interesting connections in order to make a point, but when it comes to arguing that point once it is challenged, there's a total system failure.

Buckeroo

Post by Buckeroo »

That is quite likely, and in fact, I did mention in my earlier of the two previous posts that genuine romance has sprung up from reality shows before. Christopher Knight and what's-her-name from The Surreal Life, Flava Flav and Brigitte Nielsen from the same show (earlier season, I think, plus it didn't last very long), and Amber and Boston Rob from Survivor. Gosh, I hated those two.

But anyway, even things that spring up naturally can still be given more screen time and be messed with by the producers in a multitude of ways. I just can't believe that Alex and Sandy hadn't yet been debriefed on their pseudo-celebrity status. Seems kind of cruel from one end or another. If this were a psychological experiment, I think someone would have been discredited.

Rod G

Post by Rod G »

minidevi wrote:he got in Aoi House, that's lucky. q:
Yeah,if you're a masochist.
" I see you surrounded by hundreds upon hundreds of warriors,all pointing their weapons at you."

"My allies?"

"Your enemies."