HOW SHIEI DRAWS AOI HOUSE

Follow the trials and tribulations of two down-on-their-luck college guys who join an anime club dominated by crazed yaoi fangirls! (Archived forum section.)

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

User avatar
Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod
Posts: 8013
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:38 am
Location: Seven Seas
Contact:

Post by Adam_Arnold » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:02 pm

NeoCrow wrote:You don't use Photoshop for any of the pages at all?
Shiei uses Photoshop to touch up her scanned artwork once she's finished, but all the inking is done on paper before it is ever scanned.

What about toning? How is that done to the pages, or is that done by someone else? O_o
Aoi House Vol. 1 was toned by Jon and Roy. Roy toned Aoi House Vol. 2 and is also doing Aoi House in Love! Vol. 1. Jon does all the lettering.

Neoridgeback
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:52 am

Post by Neoridgeback » Thu May 03, 2007 10:26 pm

So Shiei how did you get drawing without the necessity of using any guide line? It looks like from the pictures you draw all the details right on the spot, could you give out any tips on how to accomplish this?

User avatar
shiei
Cookie Angel
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:49 pm
Location: California,USA
Contact:

Post by shiei » Mon May 14, 2007 9:52 pm

Neoridgeback wrote:So Shiei how did you get drawing without the necessity of using any guide line? It looks like from the pictures you draw all the details right on the spot, could you give out any tips on how to accomplish this?
oh i usually rough sketch everything very very lightly.. then i start cleaning up the rough sketch and drawing solid lines ( with pencil) i also put the details while drawing over the rough sketch . The cleaner the drawing the easier it is to ink, (less confusing on which line to follow ^_^) I rarely put details without sketching it with pencil first , except if its pretty easy to draw like hearts , sweatdrop or sea monkeys....>>

Keyblade Master Sora
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: Roaming the forum
Contact:

Post by Keyblade Master Sora » Mon May 14, 2007 10:44 pm

So how do you draw a chibi?

Neoridgeback
Posts: 50
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:52 am

Post by Neoridgeback » Tue May 15, 2007 2:43 am

shiei wrote:
Neoridgeback wrote:So Shiei how did you get drawing without the necessity of using any guide line? It looks like from the pictures you draw all the details right on the spot, could you give out any tips on how to accomplish this?
oh i usually rough sketch everything very very lightly.. then i start cleaning up the rough sketch and drawing solid lines ( with pencil) i also put the details while drawing over the rough sketch . The cleaner the drawing the easier it is to ink, (less confusing on which line to follow ^_^) I rarely put details without sketching it with pencil first , except if its pretty easy to draw like hearts , sweatdrop or sea monkeys....>>
Wow cool thanks for the advice and my last real question would be how do you decide on the panel boxs best suited for each individual situation of your drawings on the page?

User avatar
shiei
Cookie Angel
Posts: 240
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:49 pm
Location: California,USA
Contact:

Post by shiei » Wed May 16, 2007 1:27 am

Neoridgeback wrote: Wow cool thanks for the advice and my last real question would be how do you decide on the panel boxs best suited for each individual situation of your drawings on the page?
I base the number of panels on the script . i try my best to make the pages flow fluidly. I dont put too much panels on each page so it wouldnt be too busy to look at . ^_^ eheh ...:3

User avatar
Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod
Posts: 8013
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:38 am
Location: Seven Seas
Contact:

Post by Adam_Arnold » Wed May 16, 2007 2:09 am

Aoi House's page count tends to actually stay pretty much dead on to what I guess it to be as I'm writing the script. If I write 20 pages of script, then it tends to top out at 30 pages of drawn manga. If I happen to write a 12-page script, then it can end up being 20 pages. I think I also wrote a 5-page script and that turned out to be 10-pages.

When I first started, I guessed that the ratio would be 1 page of script would equal about 2 pages of drawn manga for Aoi House. It depends on the nature of the scene (i.e. if it is more dialogue heavy or more action oriented), but that reasoning tends to stay somewhat consistant here.

It has a lot to do with the nature of the story itself, though. Aoi House is a comedy series, so any action sequences tend to stay pretty self-contained within a page or two as the main draw of the book is the character interaction and fan service.

User avatar
Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod
Posts: 8013
Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:38 am
Location: Seven Seas
Contact:

Post by Adam_Arnold » Wed May 16, 2007 11:43 am

DTSX wrote:Okay, so this doesn't belong here, but it is a continuation of what you said. Do you just think up of these situations and write them down, or do you actually have the whole series plotted out?
It's a mix of them both. I start by trying to fill in a 7-chapter chart with the basic theme for those chapters. From there, I break those chapters down into their story beats. From there, I'll just start organizing whatever ideas and jokes I've gotten over the past few months/years for a given chapter so I can refer back to them as I actually write the chapter. The story does evolve and change as I write it and a lot gets cut out, but it is a given that you have to know where the series is going to end up at some point.

Keyblade Master Sora
Posts: 476
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:34 pm
Location: Roaming the forum
Contact:

Post by Keyblade Master Sora » Wed May 16, 2007 10:50 pm

I still like to know how Shiei draws chibis here.

User avatar
FenixAiur
Posts: 630
Joined: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:16 am
Location: Right behind you.
Contact:

Post by FenixAiur » Thu May 17, 2007 5:20 am

Ermm... It's "Puerto Rico" =p..
[signature]

Locked