Your writing style.

Follow the trials and tribulations of two down-on-their-luck college guys who join an anime club dominated by crazed yaoi fangirls! (Archived forum section.)

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: Your writing style.

Post by Adam_Arnold »

ghostmail wrote:Adam, I was wondering how you wrote Aoi house.
Do you do it in typical comic fashion. Where you describe each panel to your artist and have it all layed out.
Or do you do it in tv scipt or like a novel?
I write Aoi House in a modified screenplay format using a program called "Final Draft." Whenever I tart a new chapter, I basically set the scene, then move right into writing character dialogue and the actions that play out. This format allows Shiei to essentially become like a director. She takes the script and draws it how she sees it playing out amd at the pace that she thinks is right. Sometimes I'll write in a montage (or a 2-page spread, like today) with some very lose ideas for what I'd like to see and then just let her go crazy. Shiei has a very keen eye for picking the right shots, so I pretty much trust her judgment.

With the 4-koma that we do for Newtype USA, those are written panel-by-panel in Notepad, Microsoft Word, or on a post-it note. Those have very tight pacing, so that type of scripting is essential in that case.

I should probably point out that there isn't a write or wrong way to write a script. I will say that the less descriptions you give...the better. Artists really need to have some freedom to draw how they see the scene, so as a writer, you do have to learn to give up a degree of control. That's probably the hardest part.

(Question answered in Aoi Notes for October 4, 2006.)