Q&A WITH ADAM

Follow the trials and tribulations of two down-on-their-luck college guys who join an anime club dominated by crazed yaoi fangirls! (Archived forum section.)

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Alphonse wrote:To cut to the chase, I tried to get them, two straight guys, together as a couple. And thus, hilarious antics ensued. Does that sound familiar?

My point is, is that weird? Am I alone?
I think you should bring a video camera to school and post this stuff on youtube.

StrateryB

Post by StrateryB »

Adam, are you going to continue working for Seven Seas even after Aoi House is finished for good?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

StrateryB wrote:Adam, are you going to continue working for Seven Seas even after Aoi House is finished for good?
Yeah, I'm one of the main Seven Seas team now, so I'm essentially in charge of manga and light novel production (plus, I've been the webmaster since we started). So yes, I'll be around with Seven Seas for a while.

As for me writing another series, that's up in the air.

Neoridgeback

Post by Neoridgeback »

hey adam what would you think if you happened to find a real life aoi house at a college? p.s. on what day in june does aoi house in love vol 2 ship?

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Neoridgeback wrote:hey adam what would you think if you happened to find a real life aoi house at a college?

I'd ask them if I can see their panty hamster. Er...yeah.

p.s. on what day in june does aoi house in love vol 2 ship?
I know that the book has already shipped from Tor (our distributor) to bookstores like Borders and Amazon, so you should start seeing copies within the next two and a half weeks. Amazon says the 10th, so that's a good gauge of when to expect it.

Neoridgeback

Post by Neoridgeback »

Adam Arnold wrote:
Neoridgeback wrote:hey adam what would you think if you happened to find a real life aoi house at a college?

I'd ask them if I can see their panty hamster. Er...yeah.

p.s. on what day in june does aoi house in love vol 2 ship?
I know that the book has already shipped from Tor (our distributor) to bookstores like Borders and Amazon, so you should start seeing copies within the next two and a half weeks. Amazon says the 10th, so that's a good gauge of when to expect it.
thank you that gives me an idea of when to walk into my borders for it

bishi of flame

Post by bishi of flame »

I am thinking about writeing my own storry. I have alot of ideas, but i have no idea where to start. im keep thinking i should make the characters first then do the storry?
Smells like children!

Hakumei Hizoku

Post by Hakumei Hizoku »

I don't know if anyone already asked but do you have any other ideas you like to get out there, like for example, another manga?
[url=http://www.youtube.com/twilightbandit][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v732/twilightchan/Twi-kuncopy.jpg?t=1264198264[/img][/url]

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Bishi of Flame asks, "I am thinking about writing my own story. I have alot of ideas, but i have no idea where to start. I keep thinking I should make the characters first then do the story?"
Come up with a core concept that you can summarize in one line. Aoi House's was "two straight guys and a harem full of crazy oversexed, yaoi fangirls." Once you have that, then start figuring out your characters. Come up with some good names and unique personalities for each of them, and then figure out some of their background so that you knew their motivations. After that, the scenes and basic story will start to come together based on those personalities. Always remember to try and give each character something to do, but try to avoid things turning into just a bunch of talking heads. In comics, that can be really tough as artists have to figure out a way to draw all that, and it just eats up pages if you have lots of back and forth. So artist HATE talking heads. There's nothing worse than having to draw panel after panel of just two people talking. Plus, there's only one person in comics that I know of that can do talking heads and make them interesting, and that's Brian Michael Bendis (Ultimate Spider-Man). Also, it's always better to follow the "show, don't tell" rule of storytelling. So avoid long internal monologue type stuff.

Twilight Bandit asks, "I don't know if anyone already asked but do you have any other ideas you like to get out there, like for example, another manga?"
I really don't have any plans to write another series write now. I wrote a pitch for manga based on something that I can't talk about, but I have my doubts that we'll get the rights to do it. My other idea was to write a manga set in the Aoi House Universe that would serve as sort of a prelude for Aoi House. It would've been a period piece set in the 70s or 80s and featured the story of how Elle's parents met. Unfortunately, since the backdrop of the story was a world race a la the Blake Edwards's comedy "The Great Race," the idea fell by the wayside since Seven Seas was already doing a globe-trotting comedy called Ten Beautiful Assassins. So aside from those two stories, that's really all I had on the drawing board that hadn't already gotten shot down (like Time Gals).

So while it might be depressing that I don't have another series in the works right now, I am very thankful that I was able to bring Aoi House to a conclusion and on my own terms. Aoi House In Love! Vol. 2 "Happy Endings" which hits stores this week, is exactly how I wanted everything to wrap up, and Shiei and me really poured everything into it. So we hope you guys enjoy it!

Neoridgeback

Post by Neoridgeback »

ok adam heres a great question why didnt you never make a world of warcraft joke? bagging on it or otherwise?
Last edited by XelianEmperor on Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Neoridgeback wrote:ok adam heres a great question why did you never make a world of warcraft joke? bagging on it or otherwise?
I don't play WOW, and neither does Shiei. So it was something that we never thought to really put in the series. Besides, Final Fantasy works soooo much better in terms of jokes and cosplay.

If anyone wants to write a WOW/Aoi House fanfic, then they're welcome to!

Neoridgeback

Post by Neoridgeback »

Adam Arnold wrote:
Neoridgeback wrote:ok adam heres a great question why did you never make a world of warcraft joke? bagging on it or otherwise?
I don't play WOW, and neither does Shiei. So it was something that we never thought to really put in the series. Besides, Final Fantasy works soooo much better in terms of jokes and cosplay.

If anyone wants to write a WOW/Aoi House fanfic, then they're welcome to!
well i dont either but i always find someone makeing jokes about it. and your right ff does make for jokes and just plain randomness

kratos auron

Post by kratos auron »

Now that the story is over and thinking back, did your final ideas of the story or plot twists change because of suggestions from the fans, or a suggestion from a fan led to a change in the initial plan?
[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b115/kratos_auron/messy.png[/img]

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

kratos auron wrote:Now that the story is over and thinking back, did your final ideas of the story or plot twists change because of suggestions from the fans, or a suggestion from a fan led to a change in the initial plan?
Probably the one thing that I did listen to fans about was their desire to see an Uri House. I mean, bizarro type characters could be fun, but I needed an angle to present them and make them unique. And more than that, once I started actually writing them in the third book, I realized that I couldn't make them the bad guys. So the entire story that I had been writing pretty much evolved into something new and way more exciting and fun to write.

Martyr

Post by Martyr »

once u are done with aoi house-what genre are u gonna do next? or will u still lean to comedy? to my opinion comedy is hard to do.
"If life gives you a bad hand-cheat"
-GTO