25-05-11 worth a shot

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

TheDevian

Re: 25-05-11 worth a shot

Post by TheDevian »

I know I am. (a fan of Ranma ½) ;) And while I will admit, that often I get excited reading these strips, just not in that way! This one was more of an Oooo or an Awww for example.

As far as the last panel goes, I took it as if it caught her by surprise, but she was seriously thinking about it.

Even if they don't end up a couple doesn't mean they can't experiment and/or practice. "This is a test, it is only a test. ...and so is this, and this, and..."

The biggest question in the back of my mind is if Brooke does like kissing Ace, will she think she likes it because he is really a boy or because he is in the body of of a girl? (or maybe she just likes kissing, and there is nothing wrong with that!)

I just hope for Ace's sake that if he does get turned back, that he is done with the whole harry palms phase, :D

Lindadori

Post by Lindadori »

Aquila89 wrote:It seems that I'm alone, but I'm not rooting for Brooke and Ace to get together. I found Brooke and Layla much more interesting. Another thing: Ace still wants to be turned back into a boy, I like that.
You're not alone, Aquila, I still ship for those two. And I'd like to see boy-Ace again: he was the nicest male character and I miss him.
jademushroom wrote:girls with curves can look great in suits, but it needs to be carefuly tailored.
honestly, off the rack suits usually dont fit ppl well. but with girls, if u're busty, u can BUST out of your shirt. and if that fits, the waist can be too big.
The wisest thing I've heard till now.
Ah, Italy enslaved, abode of misery,/ pilotless ship in a fierce tempest tossed,/ no mistress over provinces but a harlot! (Dante)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I'd kind of like to see Ace stay a girl, but for them to introduce a few new male characters. I think the tenor of the strip has changed a lot, and it gives an interesting perspective to Ace.

As for who I'd like to see with who...I'm flexible. Any f/f pair will do :) After that, I don't mind any f/m or m/m pairs that crop up.
Kol Drake wrote:Remember, Ace, while now physically a girl is still pretty much a 'guy mind'. It is why he got so ga ga when he checked out his 'make over' body/look during the sleep over. Also why he still appreciates the female form instead of chasing Kade or other males.
Kol, by that logic I must have a 'guy mind' too. I mean, when I'm all dolled up in my red dress, heck, even I like to look at myself in the mirror, and I certainly love the female form more than the male form. We women do look at ourselves in the mirror and love what we see, you know, especially if we're not use to looking good all the time. Remember how Brooke was in front of the mirror? As for appreciating the female form- Ace the girl may very well be lesbian. We never established what her preference was before being switched...could it be that Ace the boy preferred the guys?
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Ecchi-Spud
Wielder of the Remote

Post by Ecchi-Spud »

Imagine waking up in the morning, and seeing THIS as the first thing you surf the Web:
ec20110525 mod.png
ec20110525 mod.png (7.73 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
NOW imagine my frustration in not being able to use it as an avvie, since there's a 100-pixel-square limit. :((
Many thanks to Raamyah for the avvie!!!!

badwolf

Post by badwolf »

Just when I thought Brooke might be gay, or at least bi, she couldn't get enough of the boys' locker room and fled from Layla. And now just when I was thinking that Ace was getting comfortable with being a girl, suddenly KISSING girls seems much more interesting to her/him. :-?

Am I the only one who sees a pair of heterosexuals here, one of them in the wrong gender's body? Granted, Brooke is at least bi-curious, but I'm thinking that Ace's "curse" is going to wear off/be taken off at some point so that he can resume his male identity....though with a far, far better understanding of girls than most of us will ever have...

MonCappy

Post by MonCappy »

Dirty n Evil wrote:Yup, I think Ace just had one of his few good moments in a girl's body... he better appreciate it, because it's not likely to last. C'mon, everyone, we know his role in the comic! He's the butt monkey of Eerie Cuties, and when someone has that role it usually sticks around for a long time. So, don't expect Brooke to consider giving Ace another kiss until he gets switched back to a guy - at which time, of course, she might not be as interested.

On a completely other level, I think something to take from this strip is the fact that these two have developed a good friendship. But complications always happen when one friend is attracted to the other friend. Always. Even when they're attracted to one another, it can still go "ka-blewie" very easily.
That's one thing I don't like about comedy in general. If there is one trope I loathe, it's the butt monkey. No character should be the sole target of humiliation in an ensemble cast. Every character should take a turn experiencing embarrassment and humiliation. If Ace's sole purpose for existence is to be the butt of all jokes; then death is a preferable fate to perpetual misery.
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy but socially dead.
http://moncappys.minitroopers.com

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

badwolf wrote:And now just when I was thinking that Ace was getting comfortable with being a girl, suddenly KISSING girls seems much more interesting to her/him. :-?
Not to sound snippy or horrible or anything, or like a broken record, but why does everyone assume that kissing a girl automatically make Ace uncomfortable with being a girl, or more of a male? I like kissing girls and I'm very comfortable being a girl. Maybe Ace is finding kissing a girl to be far more comfortable as a girl than it ever was as a boy.

@MonCappy,

I agree totally. I think that, given the new tenor of the strip, having just Ace to humiliate would be a bad idea. It does look like Giz and Dave have moved away from that with EC.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

TheDude
Resident Redhead

Post by TheDude »

It's not so much the "wishing to kiss a girl" that might be taken as an indication that Ace is not too fond of being in a girl's body. The fact that he explicitly wishes for the curse to be broken, however seems to me like a strong giveaway
Last edited by TheDude on Wed May 25, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Time spent in happy delusion is never wasted." Frazz by Jef Mallet

"We fear change." Garth Algar

Aquila89

Post by Aquila89 »

Artemisia wrote:I'd kind of like to see Ace stay a girl, but for them to introduce a few new male characters.
Even if he's turned back into a boy, a few more male characters would be nice. As I said before, all new characters have been females.

(Now that I think of it, that's also true to Ma3: Sandra, Yuki, Sonya, Kiley, Amber, Senna...)

Geeno

Post by Geeno »

A few observations in no particular order, since I'm so late to the party.

1) Called it! Ace is totally crushing on Brooke. Sadly, i don't think it's reciprocated at all. They would be cute couple.

2) There is an indication that Ace would like to change back. Boo - I like Ace as is, and I don't want Ace to endure whatever embarrassment is so clearly in store for her->him when it is finally reversed. Of course Ace's comment does support the idea that Dad dumped Ace's boy clothes.

3) Brooke is clearly one of those people who can wear absolutely anything and look good in it. She'd look adorable in burlap sack.
Regionally (New England), we call such a person a clothes horse, after a kind of laundry drying rack, but the standard online definition of that term is someone unduly concerned with fashion. Huh. I had never heard it used that way.
PIXIE MEL!!!

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

The Dude,

I was addressing specific statements; however, Ace saying that she wants the curse lifted...well, that's a different fish all together. There's been an assumption that because Ace liked being kissed by a girl that she's got a male mind. I just wanted to make the point that is not necessarily the case.

Your argument, though, is the only one that nails it :)

Aquila,

I think that there need to be a few more male characters, but that doesn't mean Ace has to go back to being a boy. It could be interesting for her to stay a girl while other males are introduced.

All-Purpose Guru

Post by All-Purpose Guru »

If Ace is just starting his period, there might be a *reason* why he's not comfortable being a girl. Heck, when my daughter started it for the first time *she* was wishing she was a boy.

It seems that he still has a lot to sort out, even if he *is* getting more comfortable with his current situation.

…and Yes, I do think Brooke having a suit handy may be fortuitous foreshadowing… we already know Ace and Brooke are similar sizes.

bokonondeemax

Post by bokonondeemax »

I've only ever heard "clothes horse" to mean the "unduly concerned with fashion" type person...didn't know it could have a complimentary usage.

Hurm, Ace couldn't resist Brooke even in the dress. Ace probably has even less experience than Brooke does, and just got an eyeful too, so can't hardly blame her, but wow, bad move, hon. Hope they are still friends by the end of this evening.

...aaaand cue the Supportive Horde invading the rest room in 3...2...1....
Bulls*** makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.

Stonefoot

Post by Stonefoot »

My predictions (guesses):
Ace stays a girl but continues to think of herself as a boy.
Kade shows up with Mel, makes a play for Ace, and gets slapped... twice, and ends up with... Brooke?
Ace and Brooke are friends (after, perhaps, a little more experimentation).
Ace, Chloe, and Layla? There could be a couple in there. Maybe not the same couple from one week to the next.
There's gotta be at least one new (or newly significant) male character.
And lastly, some or all of the above are wrong.
A child of 5 could understand this. Fetch me a child of 5.
If you can get to 50 without growing up, you don't have to.
There are very few personal problems which can't be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Raamyah
Creator of small worlds

Post by Raamyah »

Well, I know it's no secret that I want Ace to remain female. She is just too cute to go back. If she is to be changed back, give her character a goal or opportunity first. Also, give her the opportunity to change back, not have it pushed on her.

Unfortunately, I forsee him returning wearing that yellow dress in the middle of the dance. It may be a kiss that changes her back, but from someone who loves her - maybe Kade, (but his feelings are superficial considering he doesn't even know Ace's name - I'd assume she smelled the same or at least close, so Kade should have realized this immediately) or better yet, Nina. I believe she genuinely loves him, but not romantically.

"Butt monkey" indeed. I don't like reading them, either. Writing them is a different story.
"There are four pillars of existence that support the very foundations of the universe: the speed of light in a vacuum, the Planck constant, Newtonian gravity, and the all-encompassing awesomeness of breasts." - Pauli Polsuo

"No matter how smart you are you can never convince someone stupid that they are stupid." - Anonymous