30-03-11 everything worked out

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: 30-03-11 everything worked out

Post by Artemisia »

The other thread calmed down a bit later. Given Nina's behavior- and Layla's statement in panel two(?)- it may not be all that surprising that she used someone's phone. I do have to say that I keep being reminded of the idea that those who have an instant dislike for each other often end up as a couple. . .could we see a Layla-Brooke pairing in the future?

Quote removed. The DAMNed
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Thor

Sail on, 'shippers!

Post by Thor »

Lindadori wrote:And yeah, Brooke and Layla are just too collected here... Awwww, my hopes are fading!
Layla isn't too collected. Please note that giant sweat drop.

Also, Nina took off quickly, and didn't start vocalizing her distress until she was an unknown distance away. It could easily be that neither Layla nor Brooke heard her, or at least heard specifically what she was carrying on about. It's possible that they do not know that Nina spilled the beans.

(For those who are not native English speakers "spilled the beans" is an idiom which means "let the cat out of the bag". Hope that helps.)

Considering that they were trying to be discreet, I have a feeling that they have some inkling that getting caught kissing could impact their reputations. However, they seem to be acting now as if they got away with it (with the exception of Neeners, who overreacts and doesn't really count). Remember that they do not know that Layla is being actively plotted against, or else they may have been a touch more circumspect.
PLEASE NOTE: I have sig display off in my preferences, so please don't assume that I can read yours. Thank you.

Aquila89

Post by Aquila89 »

The giant sweat drop signifies annoyance in EC, and Layla is annoyed with Nina right now.

I too think they didn't hear what Nina was screaming; if they did, Brooke would be stating something completely obvious.

David Johnston

Post by David Johnston »

Aquila89 wrote:The giant sweat drop signifies annoyance in EC, and Layla is annoyed with Nina right now.
No, the throbbing temple vein indicates annoyance. The giant sweat drop just indicates discomfort, from embarrassment or nervousness.

Gil Hamilton

Post by Gil Hamilton »

To be devil's advocate for this strip and the past ones; could not a cigar just be a cigar here? Could it not simply be exactly what Brooke and Layla said it was, kissing lessons, rather than burgeoning romantic behavior? They don't exactly look hot and bothered there, and Layla chomping on Brooke was actual legitimate bloodlust, with a possible vampire "psychically make this feel good so you don't run away" bit on Brooke.

Aquila89

Post by Aquila89 »

I don't know, kissing right in the hallway where somebody could see (as Brooke noted) is pretty stupid. If they just wanted to practice, why didn't they look for a better place? It seems that their judgement was shrouded by something... Also, Layla is upset when Brooke says that she doesn't like her; earlier, she just responded with "Likewise".

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

As for the location, well Layla was coming off of her blood emergency and probably didn't have full access to all of her common sense, and Brooke was a bit overwhelmed by the sudden come-on.

And I do get a chuckle at the close analysis of anime/manga emotes... ;)
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Aquila89 wrote:I don't know, kissing right in the hallway where somebody could see (as Brooke noted) is pretty stupid. If they just wanted to practice, why didn't they look for a better place? It seems that their judgement was shrouded by something... Also, Layla is upset when Brooke says that she doesn't like her; earlier, she just responded with "Likewise".
I also, um, noticed that Maria never seemed phased by this at all like she almost suspected something like this was building (and I don't just mean catching Layla with a naked Brooke or the thing about the bite on the thigh.)
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Cassius_Draken

Post by Cassius_Draken »

Gil Hamilton wrote:To be devil's advocate for this strip and the past ones; could not a cigar just be a cigar here? Could it not simply be exactly what Brooke and Layla said it was, kissing lessons, rather than burgeoning romantic behavior? They don't exactly look hot and bothered there, and Layla chomping on Brooke was actual legitimate bloodlust, with a possible vampire "psychically make this feel good so you don't run away" bit on Brooke.
Yeah, but speculation is always funny :D

Thor

Note: I haven't read the kissing booth story.

Post by Thor »

Gil Hamilton wrote:To be devil's advocate for this strip and the past ones; could not a cigar just be a cigar here? Could it not simply be exactly what Brooke and Layla said it was, kissing lessons, rather than burgeoning romantic behavior?
Of course it could. Brooke has not explicitly said that she likes girls that way, though there have been blushes and what might be lingering glances -- all of which could be explained in other ways. Also she has declared her reason for lessons so that she can kiss boys properly. And culturally, two girls kissing is much less remarkable and stigmatized than two guys kissing. So while this would be awkward if Brooke is strictly heterosexual, it is not unthinkable.

And Layla has not given any signals (outside of her willingness to give Brooke lessons -- as an exchange for food services) that she might have the slightest interest in girls. Her previous girl-girl kiss was accidental. And until he dumped her, she had a boyfriend, with whom she was interested in going into the broom closet for make-outs.

So, no, there are no explicit indications that either Brooke or Layla are into girl-girl. But there are certain behaviors -- especially on Brooke's side -- that seem to be hinting at it. Are these things hints or red herrings? We don't know, and that's the game: Are they, or aren't they? Eventually we shall know, and those who picked the right side will win bragging rights and a certain measure of satisfaction, which is reason enough to speculate.
PLEASE NOTE: I have sig display off in my preferences, so please don't assume that I can read yours. Thank you.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Re: Note: I haven't read the kissing booth story.

Post by Artemisia »

There's also the fact that Layla treated Kade more like an ornament then a boyfriend. He was there to seen with more than anything, and she seemed very reluctant to kiss him or anything else. Even going to the broom closet to make out was not exactly something she was all that jumping up and down thrilled about. However, unlike Brooke and Ace, Layla also seemed more than willing to plant her fangs into Chloe, and she has shown herself to be a bit more tender with biting girls than boys. Add in Maria's reactions to Layla's "experimenting" and there's a lot of indications that could add up to nothing in particular.

There's no obvious indications, no. And I'm not choosing sides and hoping that I'm right- I'm hoping that I get my way or I'll run around crying like Nina :((

Cassius_Draken

Post by Cassius_Draken »

@Thor @Artemisia

There is little chance of Layla been a lesbian or bisexual; for the first moment, her interest in Brooke was exclusively focused in her blood, and as an "alpha woman", she doesn´t mind to kiss a girl to teach her how to kiss boys, because it reinforces her position as alpha woman who knows a lot about boys (including manipulate them). Brooke is more "sexually ambiguous", due to her tomboy attire and her shyness about sex, but I doubt she is a lesbian (maybe bi); she is only a lovely teenager girl with a lot of doubts about sex. As every teenager.

But hey, dreaming is free, and an affaire between Brooke and Layla sounds great and generates expectation :D

Thor

He said it. That settles it.

Post by Thor »

Um, thank you for your permission for us to keep speculating, even though your observations are both iron-clad and factual. /:)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

@Cassius,

I'm not so sure. I've met quite a few girls like Layla who turned out to be lesbian while also meeting many a girl like Brooke who turned out straight. Of course, I have to say that there's a couple of narrative conventions working here and the question then becomes, do they go against convention or with it? Brooke turning out straight would go against convention, as would Layla or even Chloe turning out lesbian do the same. Both could be played well for laughs, btw. I mean, it could be interesting to see how life would work with a lesbian succubus. . .

At this age, I do have to say that it's hard to judge outright what someone will be.

I actually met two girls just like Layla back in High School. They were a year ahead of me with trophy boyfriends and everything. They were both cheerleaders, and I caught them kissing in the halls one day after practice when no one was suppose to be around. :ymblushing: Yes, I was quite embarrassed. I never asked them about it, though. I was too embarrassed and shy to do that.

@Thor-

Our observations are factual and as iron-clad as Cassius'

Thor

Post by Thor »

Yes, our observations are speculative and inferential, but we never claimed that they were otherwise. His tone felt just a wee bit condescending to me, as if we were all fools and he was graced with the One Truth. Gotta say it rubbed me the wrong way. :-w