28-03-11 not what you think!

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Mint-Pie

Re: 28-03-11 not what you think!

Post by Mint-Pie »

I had a feeling that people on the forums would be angry at nina because "Image Homophobiaaaaaa". But you really have to realize that the events in the comic are blown out of proportion for purpose of storytelling. 99% percent of everything that happens in EC is.
outlier1985 wrote:I think a lot of people are looking at this through the filter of what THEIR reaction to seeing two female characters kiss is.

Imagine being a 14 year old girl and walking in on your BIG SISTER, kissing one of your best FEMALE friends. It's not about her being a bigot, it's about that being a WTF situation. You guys are expecting a lot of a little girl, srsly. :ymhug:
Quoted for truth.

Thor

Post by Thor »

outlier1985 wrote:Imagine being a 14 year old girl and walking in on your BIG SISTER, kissing one of your best FEMALE friends. It's not about her being a bigot, it's about that being a WTF situation. You guys are expecting a lot of a little girl, srsly. :ymhug:
Yeah . . . substitute any racial or ethnic modifier for "FEMALE" in the quoted material, and then tell me it's not about her being a bigot.

I mean, it could have been worse. She could have been kissing one of those filthy Werewolves, am I right? **==

For such a diverse student body, it seems really odd for anyone to care who is kissing who.
PLEASE NOTE: I have sig display off in my preferences, so please don't assume that I can read yours. Thank you.

vp21ct

Post by vp21ct »

I think Artemisia has provided the best description of what probably went through Neener's brain right then. I'm not the sort to see any sort of pairing as 'wrong' (I grew up on Star Trek, same sex pairing is... well... Star Trek arguably codified the way it's handled in Fandom.) but I do know that there are those who do become highly uncomfortable with the subject. It's not that they're bigots, it's just that it's uncomfortable for them.

And when you take someone like Nina out of their comfort zone... you get this.

Tenjen
Friskeh Lynx Kitteh
Location: doing his business in his litterbox. WTF YOU LOOKIN AT?!

Post by Tenjen »

NINA IS WORSE THAN HITLER!
Affro Shaman of the Forum and Deranged Elder Lynx of the Caves. Perpetuater of warm-hearted irrelevance and lynx kitteh of affectionate inflictions.
ImageImageImage
Artemisia wrote:Wait...are we reenacting Ma3 here with ballistic cats?

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

vp21ct wrote:I think Artemisia has provided the best description of what probably went through Neener's brain right then. I'm not the sort to see any sort of pairing as 'wrong' (I grew up on Star Trek, same sex pairing is... well... Star Trek arguably codified the way it's handled in Fandom.) but I do know that there are those who do become highly uncomfortable with the subject. It's not that they're bigots, it's just that it's uncomfortable for them.

And when you take someone like Nina out of their comfort zone... you get this.
Thanks. I tend to kind of scowl when seeing male/female couples. My reaction use to be a lot closer to Nina's, but I've managed to really tone it down over the years.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

theodoric476

Post by theodoric476 »

Thor wrote:
outlier1985 wrote:Imagine being a 14 year old girl and walking in on your BIG SISTER, kissing one of your best FEMALE friends. It's not about her being a bigot, it's about that being a WTF situation. You guys are expecting a lot of a little girl, srsly. :ymhug:
Yeah . . . substitute any racial or ethnic modifier for "FEMALE" in the quoted material, and then tell me it's not about her being a bigot.

I mean, it could have been worse. She could have been kissing one of those filthy Werewolves, am I right? **==

For such a diverse student body, it seems really odd for anyone to care who is kissing who.
Forgive them, for they know not what they do. (Luke 23:34)

Gee Thor, have you ever considered just how small minded, intolerant and bigoted your words sound to some people? There is a difference between ignorance and bigotry. Sense you are ingrate of many things you are a bigot too. We all must be! Sense everybody is a bigot the word loses its meaning and Nina is in good company.

Edit: Gee Thor, have you ever considered just how small minded, intolerant and bigoted your words sound to some people? There is a difference between ignorance and bigotry. Sense you are Gee Thor, have you ever considered just how small minded, intolerant and bigoted your words sound to some people? There is a difference between ignorance and bigotry. Sence you are ignorant of many things you are a bigot too. We all must be! Sense everybody is a bigot the word loses its meaning and Nina is in good company.

Last edited by theodoric476 on Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Birds of a feather flock together,
And so will pigs and swine;
Rats and mice will have their choice,
And so will I have mine. Nursery Rhyme

I may disagree with you but I am pretty sure you are not a NAZI Jon Steward/ The Daily Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiGmgqW6ES8 State Rep. Maureen Walsh (WA. 16th district. R)

We have no enemies, only opponents Ronald Reagan

What luck that men do not think. Adolf Hitler

RoninAngel

Post by RoninAngel »

Tenjen wrote:NINA IS WORSE THAN HITLER!
LOLS!
You know who else ran away from two girls kissing? JOSEPH GOEBBELS! :P
"LIFE is dangerous, Sandi! EMBRACE LIFE!"
Faith Abbot, to Sandi on Magic Chicks.

Thor

Post by Thor »

theodoric476 wrote:Gee Thor, have you ever considered just how small minded, intolerant and bigoted your words sound to some people? There is a difference between ignorance and bigotry. Sense you are ingrate of many things you are a bigot too. We all must be! Sense everybody is a bigot the word loses its meaning and Nina is in good company.
I'd respond to that, but I have no idea what you are trying to say. Seriously. :-\

Especially that sentence I marked in purple. No clue there.
PLEASE NOTE: I have sig display off in my preferences, so please don't assume that I can read yours. Thank you.

brnleague99
Location: Carrollton, Georgia (Otherwise Known As Downtown Hell)

Post by brnleague99 »

I still think that Nina's jealous and hurt because SHE wanted to kiss Brooke.
Anti-Yuki till the grave claims me...

Kid Kool (1988) for the Nintendo Entertainment System is GROSSLY underrated. Sure the concept could've been presented a little better, but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets in some circles.

Mint-Pie

Post by Mint-Pie »

Thor wrote:
theodoric476 wrote:Gee Thor, have you ever considered just how small minded, intolerant and bigoted your words sound to some people? There is a difference between ignorance and bigotry. Sense you are ingrate of many things you are a bigot too. We all must be! Sense everybody is a bigot the word loses its meaning and Nina is in good company.
I'd respond to that, but I have no idea what you are trying to say. Seriously. :-\

I think he was trying to say "Since you are ignorant of many things..." At least I think thats what he meant. Also..
Tenjen wrote:NINA IS WORSE THAN HITLER!
:)) No no no, Nina is clearly worse than Fred Phelps.

theodoric476

Post by theodoric476 »

piemanmoo wrote:
Thor wrote:

I think he was trying to say "Since you are ignorant of many things..." At least I think thats what he meant. Also..
You are right. I stnd corrected.
Birds of a feather flock together,
And so will pigs and swine;
Rats and mice will have their choice,
And so will I have mine. Nursery Rhyme

I may disagree with you but I am pretty sure you are not a NAZI Jon Steward/ The Daily Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiGmgqW6ES8 State Rep. Maureen Walsh (WA. 16th district. R)

We have no enemies, only opponents Ronald Reagan

What luck that men do not think. Adolf Hitler

MonCappy

Post by MonCappy »

outlier1985 wrote:I think a lot of people are looking at this through the filter of what THEIR reaction to seeing two female characters kiss is.

Imagine being a 14 year old girl and walking in on your BIG SISTER, kissing one of your best FEMALE friends. It's not about her being a bigot, it's about that being a WTF situation. You guys are expecting a lot of a little girl, srsly. :ymhug:
I would agree with you if Nina freaked out about Layla kissing her friend. That isn't the case here. She freaked out because she caught her sister making out with another girl irrespective of her identity.
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy but socially dead.
http://moncappys.minitroopers.com

Cassius_Draken

Post by Cassius_Draken »

Thor wrote:
Missie wrote:Has Nina been home schooled up to this point or something? Has she been isolated from all other children until this school year started?

This isn't specifically about her reaction to seeing her friend kissing her sister. This is about her reactions to pretty much everything. She acts like she's never been exposed to ANYTHING, ever. For a 14-year-old, it's really weird. Her personality strikes me as more of someone in the 5-8 range, nowhere near 14. She seems like she has absolutely no business in high school.
I think you've about summed her up there. It's like she's been locked in the nursery until now. What people are calling cuteness and innocence looks more like some kind of developmental disorder. Chloe is sheltered and naïve, but she seems worldly and streetwise next to Nina.
Why so serious about this? Nina acts naïve because is the character´s personality, and this makes funny situations. Don´t take it so personaly; it´s not funny :)

outlier1985

Post by outlier1985 »

Thor wrote:

And I'll say it again; there is a difference between bigotry and simply not knowing any better. Someone who knows no better does not act with the intent of being hateful(which btw, can you really construe ANYTHING Nina does as being 'hateful?'). They simply DO NOT KNOW BETTER. It's like a child being potty trained who whizzes on the floor. Do you call them a foul, mannerless pig? Of course not, THEY DON'T KNOW BETTER. You've had time and experience to teach you not to piss on the floor; they haven't.

A bigot, on the other hand, is someone with a deep-rooted hatred, who speaks and acts specifically to discriminate against a demographic they dislike.

And again, you're looking at it through your own filter. Everyone is not you. It's that easy. :YMPEACE:

And also:
Dave Zero1 wrote:Image
Really, nobody commented on this? Come on. I laughed until I thought I'd burst something. :))

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

@outlier1985

I commented on it. I think Dave is sending us a message that we're all overreacting a bit.

I think Nina, who tends to be a bit over dramatic (I blame the sugar) has a reaction that's like mine seeing any male/female couple. . .which is eeek!/ewwww!
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"