26-01-11 going through a phase

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Macarius

Re: 26-01-11 going through a phase

Post by Macarius »

I think that this story arc has made Layla a more well rounded character and much more interesting than she was before.

Thor

Post by Thor »

This. Before Layla was a caricature of bossy popular older sister, which worked largely because Nina declined to be the standard aggrieved mousy younger sister counterpart. Now Layla is gaining a hint of a third dimension, and maybe a touch of vulnerability.
PLEASE NOTE: I have sig display off in my preferences, so please don't assume that I can read yours. Thank you.

theodoric476

Post by theodoric476 »

"10. Quote trees should be an endangered species. There is no need to quote an entire post when your only replying to part of it, or quoting the post directly above. It just clogs up the pages."
Unfortunately you never know if you if your post will appear directly below the post you are responding to. There have been many a time that I have tried posting a comment only to see another post or to discover your post is on the next page. There has been many times that people have posted statements that seemed to refer to another post not directly above theirs. The post they are refuting is often one or two posts up.

Furthermore if you are refuting to a post that does not quote the post directly above it, but you post might be on another page, with intervening posts between posts. That too can cause confusion.

In these circumstances what do you want us to do?

1) Ignore it, even if it might cause confusion or make people misinterpreted what you are saying?

2) Edit in a comment explaining what post you were commenting about?

3) Edit in the quote?
Birds of a feather flock together,
And so will pigs and swine;
Rats and mice will have their choice,
And so will I have mine. Nursery Rhyme

I may disagree with you but I am pretty sure you are not a NAZI Jon Steward/ The Daily Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiGmgqW6ES8 State Rep. Maureen Walsh (WA. 16th district. R)

We have no enemies, only opponents Ronald Reagan

What luck that men do not think. Adolf Hitler

bokonondeemax

Post by bokonondeemax »

For me, if I hit submit and someone has posted while I was writing, the board shows the new posts and asks if I want to edit before posting. Maybe that's an option you don't have set?
Bulls*** makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

@theodoric476:

[Inigo Montoya]You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.[/Inigo Montoya]

Generally, you should not refute posts so often... O:-)

Anyway, seriously, yes, sure, 3). is an option. Not to mention you can also add a quick "@Poster-you-are-referring-to" if you don't want to insert a quote.

In almost all cases, the forum warns you that a post has happened in the meantime anyway. The only case where this does not happen if the intervening post was submitted between you opening that forum page (not there yet) and you clicking "Post reply" (there, but not seen because you have not refreshed).

Edit: Thanks, bokonondeemax.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

I'm one of the folks who would love to see a flashback with teenage Mme. D. and Adora. Just my two cents. :-)

David Johnston

Post by David Johnston »

This is a fantasy series, so there's no need to mess around with flashbacks. Time travel! That's the way to go!

Quote removed. The DAMNed

bokonondeemax

Post by bokonondeemax »

Assuming Chloe's mom is still around, Mme D is probably thinking of having a guest over for "coffee" pretty soon. No flashbacks or time travel required in that case. :ymblushing:
Bulls*** makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.

David Johnston

Post by David Johnston »

I don't think so. She seems to think of that as a "phase" not because she wouldn't still enjoy it, but because she wouldn't mess up her marriage for that enjoyment.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

BlairFan wrote:I'm one of the folks who would love to see a flashback with teenage Mme. D. and Adora. Just my two cents. :-)

You want to see Eulice and Adora? :p

:-? Wait Eulice claims to have looked like DiDi when she was younger, Yes, let's go with this. :D
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Kiggy

Post by Kiggy »

That last panel with all those facial expressions is PURE GOLD =))
A Jersey Devil, a Mothman, and a Chupacabra walk into a bar. . .

Daremo

Post by Daremo »

Just a quick comment on, "Just a phase". Having experienced some of the... other stock reactions to alternative sexuality, I will never be upset at "just a phase". "Just a phase" can be worked with. Other reactions, not so much. Those who hear "just a phase", I have trouble considering them anything short of stone lucky.

Thor

Post by Thor »

Agreed. "Just a phase" is much better than you would get one or two generations ago, like "Get the $%&* out of my house" and "You are no child of mine."

Acceptance is quickly giving way to indifference . . . at least in the countries where they don't still kill you for it.
PLEASE NOTE: I have sig display off in my preferences, so please don't assume that I can read yours. Thank you.

Suntiger

Post by Suntiger »

Verienkeli wrote:
Storm-forge mystique wrote:
Verienkeli wrote:That "It's just a phase" comment was not what my blood pressure needed tonight as FAR too many people in our ordinary reality still think this way. :-w
If it's any consolation, I'd say Mrs. Delacroix's expression in the last panel suggests a very unusual definition of "phase"...
It really isn't since when I came out of the closet as a transsexual to my parents, that's the exact line I heard (right down to my mom saying she had had similar feelings earlier in her life). Thankfully they stopped trying to talk me out of being who I am after about a month, but I guess this comic just brought back bad memories. When combined with lab work for a college class that I never wanted, and which bores me immensely, but that I had no choice but to take when the person who was supposed teach the class I was originally registered for bailed and that class got canceled and this was the last 4 credit class I could get into on short notice? It just did nasty things to my blood pressure...
This is something that seems to crop up sometimes on Eeire Cuties and even more so for Menagé á trois - people project their own situation on something similar that happens in the comic.
And proceed to apply real world consequences/issues onto a comic where things are more or less exaggerated for comedy.
And thus the discussions start.

This is not a cirtique against Verienkeli, nor any of the others who have done something similar but it's something to keep in mind, both for those that do it and for those that respond.
For the former, please try to not project your own RL issues onto something similar in a comedy comic. It misses the point, it's frankly a bit annoying and it does nothing to help with the RL issues the person in question has.
For the later, please check to see if something similar in RL is what makes the person react so strongly and don't go into an antagonistic stance (opposing is fine though). You'll likely end up arguing RL issues, which again, is largely pointless when you deal with a comedy.

I will now stop beating the dead (he's only restin'!) horse and proceed to kick myself for bringing this up.
Sorry. Sort of.

David Johnston

Post by David Johnston »

Daremo wrote:Just a quick comment on, "Just a phase". Having experienced some of the... other stock reactions to alternative sexuality, I will never be upset at "just a phase". "Just a phase" can be worked with. Other reactions, not so much. Those who hear "just a phase", I have trouble considering them anything short of stone lucky.
And lets face it, it's not like Layla announced, "Mom, I'm a lesbian!"

"Oh sweetie, you're just going through a phase"

Layla and Brook really are just going through a phase. It's possible that said phase may lead to one of them deciding that she really is gay, but right now they are just considering a little experimentation.