Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

User avatar
vampire hunter D
Posts: 4083
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 pm
Location: Jasoom

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by vampire hunter D » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:16 am

Who said he didnt try to call? He may have and it didnt work

And Charity eas in no condition to help. So that rather limits options
Pointless arguing is one of the three pillars upon which the Internet is built. The other two are of course cat pictures and porn.

User avatar
LegendaryKroc
Posts: 848
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:22 am
Location: In the Hall of the Mountain King

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by LegendaryKroc » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:35 am

"I once told a man to go screw himself. Can you even imagine?"

Well, now I can Kilgrave. Now I can. I liked it better when I couldn't, but there's a lot of things I'd be happier not knowing, and yet...

So, this is what it's come to? Nice of this comic to only barely pretend to be anything other than an excuse to draw sexy shenanigans. I wish the writer would spend less time contriving excuses to draw T&A and more time developing the relationships he desperately wants us to believe in. If he can't sustain interest in writing this damn thing, he should just stop writing it. I'm of the opinion this comic should never have existed in the first place.

OllieOrOlly
Posts: 800
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by OllieOrOlly » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 am

brasca wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:54 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:31 am
Well, I'm an idiot for even considering that the Teds would do something proactive in the search for Chloe if they felt so guilty, but of course, the self-serving narcissist's only *logical* way to deal with a supposed despair is to literally blow themselves.
And what do you suppose Teddy and Teddi could do in this situation? First they'd have to know where Abby is calling from. Unless the caller ID states they are in Hell then they could be anywhere in the universe. Let's suppose they have a way of tracking the call and know Abby and and Chloe are in Hell then how are they supposed to get there? Can they teleport? Maybe, but they'd need help with that and since that's a demonic ability there's no one around that can really tutor them with that. Charity could open a portal, but I doubt she's too keen on rescuing 2 succubi and even if she is her powers are so depleted I doubt she could help even if she wanted. However, now that Naomi and Prudence are there it's possible the latter can be talked into it to helping out Abby.
I mean, try to contact one of the supernaturally-involved entities they know? Call Abby back? If Abby's phone gets service in Hell, it'd be dumb to apply realism to that detail after the fact. Even if Charity is technically *enemies* with Chloe, Teddi/y could've tried asking her for help once she sobered up (she seems up for anything now, anyways), or like you noted, even asked Naomi and Prudence. Hell, sit on their hands, but not indulge in some bizarre self-cest because of the "feels."
Perhaps I'm taking it defensively because of how inaccurate it tries to display depression; I get it, magic, succubi, whatever, yet when it tries to tackle a slightly more realistic emotion, it should be shown with a hint of awareness that one who is apparently absolutely depressed wouldn't have the energy nor inclination to jerk off, let alone in the "whimsically, whacky" way of stupid self-sucking Ted was attempting/doing.

Regardless, just about *anything* would've been a better option to make the audience believe Ted is actually in love with Chloe, or at least feeling genuine remorseful.

*EDIT* Damn, how forgettable have they become to me at least? The Teds could've asked Al for help, someone who would be entirely willing to help them locate Chloe since he apparently had an interest in her, too, at one point. Other than that, Al is evidently smitten with Teddi/y, so they'd help utilising the presumably omniscient reaper network.
Last edited by OllieOrOlly on Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

dmra
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by dmra » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:37 am

vampire hunter D wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:16 am
Who said he didnt try to call? He may have and it didnt work

And Charity eas in no condition to help. So that rather limits options
The writers showed us Abby calling Teddy so if he tried to call back why wouldn't they have shown that? And when would he have tried? He was busy with the two girls and Charity all night and then with Naomi and himself in the morning.

And Charity seems to be in enough possession of her faculties to try to lie to Prudence so I don't see why she can't offer at least some advice.

But this is the Teddy who didn't even bother to check up on his sister and Chloe until Abby phoned him despite having left Abby in the company of a feral succubus for most of the day. So I don't really expect him to think about anybody but himself these days.

OllieOrOlly
Posts: 800
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by OllieOrOlly » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:50 am

LegendaryKroc wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:35 am
"I once told a man to go screw himself. Can you even imagine?"

Well, now I can Kilgrave. Now I can. I liked it better when I couldn't, but there's a lot of things I'd be happier not knowing, and yet...

So, this is what it's come to? Nice of this comic to only barely pretend to be anything other than an excuse to draw sexy shenanigans. I wish the writer would spend less time contriving excuses to draw T&A and more time developing the relationships he desperately wants us to believe in. If he can't sustain interest in writing this damn thing, he should just stop writing it. I'm of the opinion this comic should never have existed in the first place.
Well, another difference is that Kilgrave managed to be the impossible - a likeable rapist; and his power was often not unlike succubi pheromones. Maybe the writers should've had David Tennant play Teddy? Or, more simply, do some serious rewrites so the "hero" of the "supernatural rom-com" isn't a self-obsessed, unreliable, faithless, hedonistic rapist. Alas and alack, the most - for lack of a better word - entertainment I can get out of the comic is agreeing with like-minded people about how trashy it is, while less enjoyably yet compulsively trying to debate its fervent defenders (I don't aim to convince anyone to change their minds, merely understand my perspective; perhaps unsuccessfully, but I try).

OllieOrOlly
Posts: 800
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by OllieOrOlly » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:56 am

dmra wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:37 am
vampire hunter D wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:16 am
Who said he didnt try to call? He may have and it didnt work

And Charity eas in no condition to help. So that rather limits options
The writers showed us Abby calling Teddy so if he tried to call back why wouldn't they have shown that? And when would he have tried? He was busy with the two girls and Charity all night and then with Naomi and himself in the morning.

And Charity seems to be in enough possession of her faculties to try to lie to Prudence so I don't see why she can't offer at least some advice.

But this is the Teddy who didn't even bother to check up on his sister and Chloe until Abby phoned him despite having left Abby in the company of a feral succubus for most of the day. So I don't really expect him to think about anybody but himself these days.
What, the sister he "cared about so much," that Teddi went hysterical and exiled Chloe from the house for the *sin* of Abby accidentally becoming a succubus? I guess it really wasn't about his sister though, was it... It was more there was an excuse for Teddi to make something related to them, become about themselves. I suppose that kind of explains the Ted's "woe is me" act with Chloe's as of yet unexplained second departure, as they have just found another excuse to play diva, as well as *justify* the act of self-blowing.

User avatar
brasca
Posts: 3738
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:04 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by brasca » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:09 pm

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 am
brasca wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:54 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:31 am
Well, I'm an idiot for even considering that the Teds would do something proactive in the search for Chloe if they felt so guilty, but of course, the self-serving narcissist's only *logical* way to deal with a supposed despair is to literally blow themselves.
And what do you suppose Teddy and Teddi could do in this situation? First they'd have to know where Abby is calling from. Unless the caller ID states they are in Hell then they could be anywhere in the universe. Let's suppose they have a way of tracking the call and know Abby and and Chloe are in Hell then how are they supposed to get there? Can they teleport? Maybe, but they'd need help with that and since that's a demonic ability there's no one around that can really tutor them with that. Charity could open a portal, but I doubt she's too keen on rescuing 2 succubi and even if she is her powers are so depleted I doubt she could help even if she wanted. However, now that Naomi and Prudence are there it's possible the latter can be talked into it to helping out Abby.
I mean, try to contact one of the supernaturally-involved entities they know? Call Abby back? If Abby's phone gets service in Hell, it'd be dumb to apply realism to that detail after the fact. Even if Charity is technically *enemies* with Chloe, Teddi/y could've tried asking her for help once she sobered up (she seems up for anything now, anyways), or like you noted, even asked Naomi and Prudence. Hell, sit on their hands, but not indulge in some bizarre self-cest because of the "feels."
Perhaps I'm taking it defensively because of how inaccurate it tries to display depression; I get it, magic, succubi, whatever, yet when it tries to tackle a slightly more realistic emotion, it should be shown with a hint of awareness that one who is apparently absolutely depressed wouldn't have the energy nor inclination to jerk off, let alone in the "whimsically, whacky" way of stupid self-sucking Ted was attempting/doing.

Regardless, just about *anything* would've been a better option to make the audience believe Ted is actually in love with Chloe, or at least feeling genuine remorseful.

*EDIT* Damn, how forgettable have they become to me at least? The Teds could've asked Al for help, someone who would be entirely willing to help them locate Chloe since he apparently had an interest in her, too, at one point. Other than that, Al is evidently smitten with Teddi/y, so they'd help utilising the presumably omniscient reaper network.
Do you think Abby would answer? She's taking Chloe's side so I doubt she would. And how do you know Teddy didn't ask Charity? We don't know what happened after Teddi took the call from Abby. Maybe she asked and Charity refused or agreed, but couldn't open a portal since she lacked the energy and/or sobriety. The only option would be to wait until the next day. It's the same thing with calling Naomi to bring over Prudence. Do you think they'd be all that cooperative if Teddy and Teddi sprung that proposal on them? Seeing as how Teddy and Teddi are despairing over how they've screwed everything up no matter what they do they might want to rethink their approach as well as who they have sex with to minimize the damage. When you're a one man band no one gets hurt.

dmra
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by dmra » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:24 pm

brasca wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:09 pm


And how do you know Teddy didn't ask Charity? We don't know what happened after Teddi took the call from Abby.
We know a lot about what happened in the last day. We've seen pretty much every detail of the "date" between Teddy and the two girls and what occurred after for instance so don't you think if something as important to the plot as Teddy trying to contact Abby or asking for advice had happened that would have been shown?

OllieOrOlly
Posts: 800
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:48 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by OllieOrOlly » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:28 pm

brasca wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:09 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 am
brasca wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:54 am


And what do you suppose Teddy and Teddi could do in this situation? First they'd have to know where Abby is calling from. Unless the caller ID states they are in Hell then they could be anywhere in the universe. Let's suppose they have a way of tracking the call and know Abby and and Chloe are in Hell then how are they supposed to get there? Can they teleport? Maybe, but they'd need help with that and since that's a demonic ability there's no one around that can really tutor them with that. Charity could open a portal, but I doubt she's too keen on rescuing 2 succubi and even if she is her powers are so depleted I doubt she could help even if she wanted. However, now that Naomi and Prudence are there it's possible the latter can be talked into it to helping out Abby.
I mean, try to contact one of the supernaturally-involved entities they know? Call Abby back? If Abby's phone gets service in Hell, it'd be dumb to apply realism to that detail after the fact. Even if Charity is technically *enemies* with Chloe, Teddi/y could've tried asking her for help once she sobered up (she seems up for anything now, anyways), or like you noted, even asked Naomi and Prudence. Hell, sit on their hands, but not indulge in some bizarre self-cest because of the "feels."
Perhaps I'm taking it defensively because of how inaccurate it tries to display depression; I get it, magic, succubi, whatever, yet when it tries to tackle a slightly more realistic emotion, it should be shown with a hint of awareness that one who is apparently absolutely depressed wouldn't have the energy nor inclination to jerk off, let alone in the "whimsically, whacky" way of stupid self-sucking Ted was attempting/doing.

Regardless, just about *anything* would've been a better option to make the audience believe Ted is actually in love with Chloe, or at least feeling genuine remorseful.

*EDIT* Damn, how forgettable have they become to me at least? The Teds could've asked Al for help, someone who would be entirely willing to help them locate Chloe since he apparently had an interest in her, too, at one point. Other than that, Al is evidently smitten with Teddi/y, so they'd help utilising the presumably omniscient reaper network.
Do you think Abby would answer? She's taking Chloe's side so I doubt she would. And how do you know Teddy didn't ask Charity? We don't know what happened after Teddi took the call from Abby. Maybe she asked and Charity refused or agreed, but couldn't open a portal since she lacked the energy and/or sobriety. The only option would be to wait until the next day. It's the same thing with calling Naomi to bring over Prudence. Do you think they'd be all that cooperative if Teddy and Teddi sprung that proposal on them? Seeing as how Teddy and Teddi are despairing over how they've screwed everything up no matter what they do they might want to rethink their approach as well as who they have sex with to minimize the damage. When you're a one man band no one gets hurt.
There is the rule of "show, don't tell." Since the comic hasn't even told us if they did try those options, it leads the audience to presume "they've tried nothing and they're all out of ideas."
It isn't up to us to think they did try anything, especially if there is no evidence of anything than more sexual shenanigans, so it suggests that the Teds are feckless at best or repugnantly self-indulgent at near-worst; neither traits make them endearing in the slightest.

dmra
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by dmra » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:41 pm

And having thought about it Naomi has gone down in my estimation too with this strip. Teddy is saying how sad he is because of his love for Chloe and Naomi's reaction is basically to say "Too bad, forget her why not try me?" Not exactly sensitive or selfless is it?

User avatar
lordoffiling
Posts: 809
Joined: Tue May 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by lordoffiling » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:12 pm

So, recently I saw a lady on Facebook who got a nasty note from her neighbor over her Christmas display. She had three inflatable dragons on her lawn and the neighbor left her a nastygram asking her to take them down, and telling her she’d pray she learned what Christmas was all about.

The lady responded to this by saying, “Sounds like what she’s really saying is I need more dragons!” And there were more dragons on her lawn the next day. Like, a lot of dragons. At least six dragons.

Now I have a theory.

I think Dave and Jason both read these forums. And the more people complain about the sex and the sleaze, the more they laugh and say, “Sounds like they really want more sex and sleaze!”

I really hope I’m right. Because that would be awesome.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

dmra
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by dmra » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Deliberately pissing off people you hope to entertain and make money from isn't so much awesome as cutting off your nose to spite your face. But it might help explain why the comics are having to stop because they aren't generating enough income anymore.

I don't expect creative people to only write what they think people want to read but equally purposefully setting out to write what you know people don't want to read seems to me to be a pretty sterile experience. Especially if you have any hopes of continuing to make a living doing something you love.

User avatar
brasca
Posts: 3738
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:04 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by brasca » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:06 pm

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:28 pm
brasca wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:09 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:36 am


I mean, try to contact one of the supernaturally-involved entities they know? Call Abby back? If Abby's phone gets service in Hell, it'd be dumb to apply realism to that detail after the fact. Even if Charity is technically *enemies* with Chloe, Teddi/y could've tried asking her for help once she sobered up (she seems up for anything now, anyways), or like you noted, even asked Naomi and Prudence. Hell, sit on their hands, but not indulge in some bizarre self-cest because of the "feels."
Perhaps I'm taking it defensively because of how inaccurate it tries to display depression; I get it, magic, succubi, whatever, yet when it tries to tackle a slightly more realistic emotion, it should be shown with a hint of awareness that one who is apparently absolutely depressed wouldn't have the energy nor inclination to jerk off, let alone in the "whimsically, whacky" way of stupid self-sucking Ted was attempting/doing.

Regardless, just about *anything* would've been a better option to make the audience believe Ted is actually in love with Chloe, or at least feeling genuine remorseful.

*EDIT* Damn, how forgettable have they become to me at least? The Teds could've asked Al for help, someone who would be entirely willing to help them locate Chloe since he apparently had an interest in her, too, at one point. Other than that, Al is evidently smitten with Teddi/y, so they'd help utilising the presumably omniscient reaper network.
Do you think Abby would answer? She's taking Chloe's side so I doubt she would. And how do you know Teddy didn't ask Charity? We don't know what happened after Teddi took the call from Abby. Maybe she asked and Charity refused or agreed, but couldn't open a portal since she lacked the energy and/or sobriety. The only option would be to wait until the next day. It's the same thing with calling Naomi to bring over Prudence. Do you think they'd be all that cooperative if Teddy and Teddi sprung that proposal on them? Seeing as how Teddy and Teddi are despairing over how they've screwed everything up no matter what they do they might want to rethink their approach as well as who they have sex with to minimize the damage. When you're a one man band no one gets hurt.
There is the rule of "show, don't tell." Since the comic hasn't even told us if they did try those options, it leads the audience to presume "they've tried nothing and they're all out of ideas."
It isn't up to us to think they did try anything, especially if there is no evidence of anything than more sexual shenanigans, so it suggests that the Teds are feckless at best or repugnantly self-indulgent at near-worst; neither traits make them endearing in the slightest.
No it leads you to the conclusions you choose to draw. You hate Teddy so you assume he just gave up and indulged in sexual gratification all night. I, however, think there’s a lot more going on, but the creative team don’t have time to show us everything.

User avatar
Mandy
Posts: 207
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:21 pm
Location: Gotham

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by Mandy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:22 pm

dmra wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:47 pm
Deliberately pissing off people you hope to entertain and make money from isn't so much awesome as cutting off your nose to spite your face. But it might help explain why the comics are having to stop because they aren't generating enough income anymore.

I don't expect creative people to only write what they think people want to read but equally purposefully setting out to write what you know people don't want to read seems to me to be a pretty sterile experience. Especially if you have any hopes of continuing to make a living doing something you love.
It hasn't just been pixietrix comix that has been struggling with ad revenue. It's everything across the web. Ad revenue isn't what it used to be. Ad blockers take a toll and a there was a big scandal a while back that caused a lot of big advertisers to pull out. A lot of comics have turned to patreon to keep going.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the forums aren't an accurate depiction of how the average reader feels so don't get too presumptuous. There's a bias in who would choose to bother posting. Many people who do enjoy the comic likely avoid the forums, because they don't want the comic ruined for them by reading criticizing harping.

On topic: Abby explicitly told Teddi not to call back, so maybe he was being respectful of that. It's been maybe half of a day; Teddy doesn't have to immediately go against Abby and Chloe's wishes by calling. Also, masturbating isn't really a horrible and unthinkable thing for a distraught teenager to do.

dmra
Posts: 764
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by dmra » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:39 pm

Mandy wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:22 pm
dmra wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:47 pm
Deliberately pissing off people you hope to entertain and make money from isn't so much awesome as cutting off your nose to spite your face. But it might help explain why the comics are having to stop because they aren't generating enough income anymore.

I don't expect creative people to only write what they think people want to read but equally purposefully setting out to write what you know people don't want to read seems to me to be a pretty sterile experience. Especially if you have any hopes of continuing to make a living doing something you love.
It hasn't just been pixietrix comix that has been struggling with ad revenue. It's everything across the web. Ad revenue isn't what it used to be. Ad blockers take a toll and a there was a big scandal a while back that caused a lot of big advertisers to pull out. A lot of comics have turned to patreon to keep going.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, the forums aren't an accurate depiction of how the average reader feels so don't get too presumptuous. There's a bias in who would choose to bother posting. Many people who do enjoy the comic likely avoid the forums, because they don't want the comic ruined for them by reading criticizing harping.

On topic: Abby explicitly told Teddi not to call back, so maybe he was being respectful of that. It's been maybe half of a day; Teddy doesn't have to immediately go against Abby and Chloe's wishes by calling. Also, masturbating isn't really a horrible and unthinkable thing for a distraught teenager to do.

Sorry for being presumptuous but I wasn't just talking about myself. I was responding to the idea that the creators were doubling down on things that might not be popular as a way of trolling some of their audience. Which usually isn't a good way for creative people to make money.

On your point about the forum not being representative do you have any evidence or is that just a hunch? Because if it is just a hunch then maybe I'm not the only one being "presumptuous".

In any event I've never claimed to be speaking for anybody other than myself. But as far as that goes I've been reading Giz and Dave's comics since the end of Cool Cat Studios. I've liked them so much that I've bought pretty much every book and piece of merchandise they've produced. I used to enjoy DC too but since the writing here got lazy and cliche it's been more of a struggle to read it. Sorry if that opinion upsets or annoys you but it is my honest opinion and I think I've got as much right to express it as anybody who only wants to come here and talk about the comic in positive terms.

Post Reply