Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Fluffy

Re: Dangerously Chloe 20-12-18 Not One to Judge

Post by Fluffy »

I know the Teds are the same person, just in two different bodies; so what they were doing was nothing more than masturbation.

Still - can't shake the twincest vibe. Just... :ymsick:
brasca wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:06 pm
No it leads you to the conclusions you choose to draw. You hate Teddy so you assume he just gave up and indulged in sexual gratification all night. I, however, think there’s a lot more going on, but the creative team don’t have time to show us everything.
How can you fault some of us readers for seeing Teddy/i the way we do when the author/artist has done nothing but paint them in that negative light we see them in?

It's not up to the readers to envision a more positive side to Teddy/i that only occurs off screen - if it even does.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Thing is, we know what happened.

Ted was told not to call back and didn’t. Maybe he did have a way to travel to Hell and reach her or maybe he didn’t, either way it was irrelevant. He decided to stay away from the person he hurt, and spend the evening an inconsolable mess. Two strippers and a drinken angel were insufficient to drag him out of his heartbroken malaise.

When he woke he evidently decided he was helpless in the situation and decided to try something to make himself feel at least a little bit better, and Naomi showed up, where it was implied she’d done this herself once.

Implications on the length of merman penor aside, it all seems fairly straightforward.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Mandy

Post by Mandy »

@dmra
Well, there have been a number of times where I've seen people pop up early, call the forums toxic and overly negative then they say nothing else. Also, Vitocap left because I pointed out that, if you love something, it's going to sully the experience to read people calling it shit all the time. I don't exactly go on dates with women then go home thinking "oh boy! I can't wait to read some conservative forums about how I'm terrible and going to hell."

I can't actually be sure of how fans perceive this comic in general, but I do know selection bias when I see it. The comic has probably gone up in viewership after it got more smutty through sheer virtue of that Jason posts more than Cassandra did so knowing viewership wouldn't help much either.

I honestly think that if Dave is thumbing his nose at anyone it's at the advertisers that get funny over showing female nipples but let all kinds of more sexual things slide.

Oh, I'm not saying you shouldn't post. I personally don't have motivation to take in media that I don't enjoy to some degree, but to each their own. I actually thought Cool Catz had a more jarring tonal shift than this comic. It went from office romcom to aliens in nothing flat. I still kinda enjoyed it but damn. Are you reading Giz's new comic with Boothy, Exorsisters? It's cute. More in the vein of EC than DC is, honestly.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

brasca wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:06 pm
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:28 pm
There is the rule of "show, don't tell." Since the comic hasn't even told us if they did try those options, it leads the audience to presume "they've tried nothing and they're all out of ideas."
It isn't up to us to think they did try anything, especially if there is no evidence of anything than more sexual shenanigans, so it suggests that the Teds are feckless at best or repugnantly self-indulgent at near-worst; neither traits make them endearing in the slightest.
No it leads you to the conclusions you choose to draw. You hate Teddy so you assume he just gave up and indulged in sexual gratification all night. I, however, think there’s a lot more going on, but the creative team don’t have time to show us everything.
From what has been shown with Teddy/i, I've of course I'd assume the worst, but it isn't assumption here because we've only seen them give up and indulge in sexual gratification. I don't know anything else for certain because nothing but the smut has been shown or mentioned. Also, from all of your points, "the creative team don't have time to show us everything," is the weakest - there is only not enough time because they don't utilise it to show us anything of substance.

dmra

Post by dmra »

@Mandy

There is of course criticism and there is criticism. I think that most of the people who post negatively here are people like me who want to like the comic, followed it from the beginning before it became fan-service heavy and are probably disappointed that it isn't as good as we used to think it was or as good as it could be. And most of the people who post here have said that they are fans of MA3 which hardly suggests that seeing sexual activity is something they object to.

The supposed love story between Teddy and Chloe is probably the best example of what I mean. Why are we the readers supposed to think that Teddy genuinely cares about Chloe when she's been virtually invisible for years while we've seen endless examples of Teddy/i sleeping around without seemingly a care in the world for her?

But when it's convenient for the plot suddenly he's in tears over her and we are presumably supposed to sympathise with him. And really what is there to sympathise with him over. He's been living the life of Riley having sex all over the shop without us seeing him and Chloe interacting in any kind of way that suggests there is a real emotional connection between the two of them.

Which is far it was so jarring for me that we went from Teddy seeming to be showing genuine emotion to going for pretty shallow sexual consolation in the space of a few hours. Is he desolate or isn't he? We know from Pandora that Chloe is "saving herself" for Teddy but he doesn't seem to be too bothered about saving himself for her. That hardly suggests a deep commitment or much compatibility but we're are supposed to believe he loves her.

It's not so much the tonal shift I object to it's that, in my opinion, it hasn't been handled well. Since the gender flip it's become largely one sexual encounter after another with little character development and not much more plot progression. I'm not against fan-service by any means but when that seems to be all we get then it stops being particularly interesting.

Thanks for the recommendation about Exorsisters. Money is short at the moment but it does look pretty good from the little I've seen of it. Once things get a bit easier I'll be in the market for it.

renmei

Post by renmei »

*shrug* I enjoy the comic. It's fun and stupid and I never expected much from the story. I had some frustrations with the "banged your mom" bit, but I've just taken a step back and realized that most of that was because visiting the forums regularly had made me more toxic about the comic itself. Considering that, I've tried not to let it get to me. I also visit the forum and engage in it much, much less frequently.

Frankly speaking, the negativity some of you have is just not worth the effort of engaging. After all these years, it's painfully obvious minds won't be changed.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

dmra wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:34 pm
@Mandy

There is of course criticism and there is criticism. I think that most of the people who post negatively here are people like me who want to like the comic, followed it from the beginning before it became fan-service heavy and are probably disappointed that it isn't as good as we used to think it was or as good as it could be. And most of the people who post here have said that they are fans of MA3 which hardly suggests that seeing sexual activity is something they object to.

The supposed love story between Teddy and Chloe is probably the best example of what I mean. Why are we the readers supposed to think that Teddy genuinely cares about Chloe when she's been virtually invisible for years while we've seen endless examples of Teddy/i sleeping around without seemingly a care in the world for her?

But when it's convenient for the plot suddenly he's in tears over her and we are presumably supposed to sympathise with him. And really what is there to sympathise with him over. He's been living the life of Riley having sex all over the shop without us seeing him and Chloe interacting in any kind of way that suggests there is a real emotional connection between the two of them.

Which is far it was so jarring for me that we went from Teddy seeming to be showing genuine emotion to going for pretty shallow sexual consolation in the space of a few hours. Is he desolate or isn't he? We know from Pandora that Chloe is "saving herself" for Teddy but he doesn't seem to be too bothered about saving himself for her. That hardly suggests a deep commitment or much compatibility but we're are supposed to believe he loves her.

It's not so much the tonal shift I object to it's that, in my opinion, it hasn't been handled well. Since the gender flip it's become largely one sexual encounter after another with little character development and not much more plot progression. I'm not against fan-service by any means but when that seems to be all we get then it stops being particularly interesting.

Thanks for the recommendation about Exorsisters. Money is short at the moment but it does look pretty good from the little I've seen of it. Once things get a bit easier I'll be in the market for it.
Agreed entirely.

Also, yes for Exorsisters. It is still early days, so it could change, but just from the first few issues, it is a fun supernatural story. While it seems to have a "monster of the week" sort of deal, there is a sense that the monsters help develop the world, with an underlying story arc unfolding.

Tako

Post by Tako »

Isn't Naomi too much in love with Teddy too soon? I mean, in addition to catching them doing oral to themselves, (s)he has just confessed to be totally in love with another girl, to a point (s)he cares more about upsetting Chloe than about the fact that Abby has gone full demon and literally gone to Hell... (not that Abby doesn't deserves it...).

And Naomi, instead of being upset about it, keeps trying to convince them to accept her as their girlfriend...

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Tako wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:10 pm
Isn't Naomi too much in love with Teddy too soon? I mean, in addition to catching them doing oral to themselves, (s)he has just confessed to be totally in love with another girl, to a point (s)he cares more about upsetting Chloe than about the fact that Abby has gone full demon and literally gone to Hell... (not that Abby doesn't deserves it...).

And Naomi, instead of being upset about it, keeps trying to convince them to accept her as their girlfriend...
Naomi - who considers Teddy her boyfriend - didn't react to the fact there were two strippers in the kitchen who not only admitted that they spent the evening trying to console Teddy; but were still vying for his favor the next morning (in front of Naomi).

The fact that alone didn't put Naomi into a rage; it honestly doesn't shock me that Naomi doesn't give it a second thought that Teddy/i just admitted her was in love with Chloe. Naomi has officially caught the stupid (either that; or she's still high on the pheromones Teddy blasted her with the night prior - so now has the mindset that 'sharing is caring').
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Wow, Naomi just doesn't have a jealous bone in her body, does she? I hope Teddy's the same way the next time Pru ropes her into another arranged marriage.

(And why would s/he care that Abby's in Hell as a demon? There are cosmologies where that's almost as bad as being there as a human, but this doesn't seem to be one of them...)

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

dmra wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:34 pm

To be specific, the second gender flip. There wasn't any sex and it was just Teddy enjoying dressing up in girls clothes. That was honestly pretty adorable.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Fluffy wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:53 pm
Tako wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Naomi - who considers Teddy her boyfriend - didn't react to the fact there were two strippers in the kitchen who not only admitted that they spent the evening trying to console Teddy; but were still vying for his favor the next morning (in front of Naomi).

The fact that alone didn't put Naomi into a rage; it honestly doesn't shock me that Naomi doesn't give it a second thought that Teddy/i just admitted her was in love with Chloe. Naomi has officially caught the stupid (either that; or she's still high on the pheromones Teddy blasted her with the night prior - so now has the mindset that 'sharing is caring').
It is really stretching believability of the efficacy of the bonding session, which already had an undue sense of importance by giving Naomi and Teddy/i *so much in common* retroactively; their, for lack of a better word, relationship is nascent at best, so there is no logical or even emotional justification for Naomi being weirdly understanding that her *boyfriend* cheated on her twice shortly after they bonded enough to make a date (round the strippers with Ted down to a single encounter, and while unconfirmed, it seems fairly certain Teddi hooked up with Charity again), she is not jealous of his infatuation/obsession with an entirely different girl, and then offers herself basically as a consolation prize. It undermines the supposed independent will of Naomi, who has such an adamant belief in the extraterrestrial that she refuses to accept the supernatural option, even from the proverbial horse’s mouth, yet she is apparently weak-willed enough to be happy to reduce herself to being some douche’s silver medal?
Also, previously, Teddy believed Naomi hated him and was kind of scared of her, and Naomi’s “interest” in him seemed mostly clinical, so this apparent whirlwind romance is another wearing down of patience.

brasca

Post by brasca »

@ Mandy and Renmei. I find using the foe list makes this place far less toxic. When it becomes clear that certain people just want to complain incessantly no matter how often they’re proven wrong you might as well block them. I prefer discussing this webcomic with people who aren’t hate reading this.

TtheLurker

Post by TtheLurker »

RemoWilliams wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:22 am
Remo Williams,
The Master of Sinanju.
Hah!

You move like a pregnant yak!

RemoWilliams

Post by RemoWilliams »