Dangerously Chloe 29-11-18 Makeover

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

blood_and_cocopops

Re: Dangerously Chloe 29-11-18 Makeover

Post by blood_and_cocopops »

Cortez wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:52 am
Again, if you ask for lemonade at a bar, they're going to assume you mean the alcoholic kind if you don't specify.
As a barman in the UK, no. EVERY bar has soft drinks. They are used as mixers in a good portion of alcoholic drinks and also for people who are driving. And even if they had happened to run out of lemonaide you'd appologise and offer an alternative, worst case scenario give the a glass fo water. You would not give them alcohol.

That said, this IS a comic, its a comedy and your expected to have a suspension of disbelief. I find way too many people criticise these comics for not meeting their standards of realism. It's not ment to be realistic, its meant to be obserd.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

blood_and_cocopops wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:45 am
That said, this IS a comic, its a comedy and your expected to have a suspension of disbelief. I find way too many people criticise these comics for not meeting their standards of realism. It's not ment to be realistic, its meant to be obserd.
People are well aware this is a comic; but if the writer is going to depict characters as being grossly irresponsible/idiotic, the readers are going to comment on that - regardless of what the writer's intent was for writing the characters in such a way.

Readers are allowed to criticize what they're reading just as much as readers are allowed to praise it.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:50 am
The Teddies have lost their soul, souls, or half a soul, and didn't notice any difference?
Whaaa? The contract on Teddy’s soul has dissolved, why would he lose it?

Also on the subject of the lemonade...

Seriously. How nitpicky can y’all get?

My first thought was that Charity asked for lemonade, the bartender probably said something like, “Only got hard lemonade, luv,” and Charity, not knowing what that was, probably said something like, “Huh, never had that! I’ll try it.” And because this isn’t the kind of establishment that looks at identification too closely—or at all—the bartender just shrugged and put one in front of her.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

dmra

Post by dmra »

lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:24 am

Also on the subject of the lemonade...

Seriously. How nitpicky can y’all get?
Yeah! Fancy judging a comic by what the characters say and do. It's almost as though some of us are expecting the creators to think about what they're doing and write stuff after giving some thought to the implications of it and what it may say about the people involved in the story rather than just writing something to advance the story without expecting any of the readers to think about it.

It's clear to me that they wanted to show Charity "falling" but in an accidental rather than a deliberate way so they had her take something that would lower her inhibitions without making her into an out and out weak or bad angel. That and a pretty standard drunk throwing up on somebody joke to round it off.

Nothing wrong with that except they did it in a way that makes the people meant to be looking after her look either stupid or thoughtless or both.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Well at least people are complaining about serving alcoholic beverages to someone who didn’t specify instead of rape. I guess that’s refreshing.

Fereshte

Post by Fereshte »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:15 am
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:04 am
Cortez wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:52 am
Again, if you ask for lemonade at a bar, they're going to assume you mean the alcoholic kind if you don't specify.
In Canada? Okay, cultural assumption clash.

(In the UK, “hard” lemonade is a rarity, to the point where I don’t recall ever seeing it on offer, whereas any bar will likely have some of the standard stuff available, because even if they don’t admit accompanied kids, and their customers aren’t the sort to order shandy — 50/50 lemonade/beer mix — you always get the designated drivers and such.)
Actually, I second that. In Australia, if you order a lemonade - even at a bar - you get a lemonade. If you want it mixed with alcohol, you have to specify.
I third this. Where I’m from in the states, if you order lemonaid, they give you lemonaid. If they don’t have it, they’ll tell you they only have the Mikes Hard. I’ve never been at a bar that *assumed* you were asking for an alcoholic beverage. That’s like asking for orange juice and they give you a screwdriver, or coke and they add rum. Like no where I’ve been ever does that without first specifying. Unless they’re a really scretchy, crappy bar. That sort of actions can get you into a lot of legal trouble.

dmra

Post by dmra »

brasca wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:07 pm
Well at least people are complaining about serving alcoholic beverages to someone who didn’t specify instead of rape. I guess that’s refreshing.

Guess the little matter of giving somebody alcohol rather than a soft drink rather took attention away from Charity continuing her run of sexual assaults on Teddi by sticking her head into Teddi's cleavage and "motorboating" her.

Or perhaps in the DC world when a woman says "Hey!" she's really say "Yes".

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

That said, this IS a comic, its a comedy and your expected to have a suspension of disbelief.
Suspension of disbelief does have it's limits though.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Fereshte wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:35 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:50 am
At the risk of harping on: what the hell kind of people would give someone alcohol when they requested lemonade? If they requested lemonade, clearly they don't want to get intoxicated for whatever reason, so giving them booze presumably without Charity realising any better, is really terrible.
This was my first thought too. Especially because they even specify that she wanted *only* lemonaid. They knew she wasn’t asking for the hard kind and to give it to someone who specifically isn’t asking for alcohol is all kinds of horrible. Whatif she was a recovering alcoholic? Or had some trauma from drinking to access in the past? Like clearly the reasonable response would’ve been “they only have hard lemonaid.” It would’ve been better had the strip presented it as them telling her there was only the hard stuff and Charity, unbeknownst to them, misunderstanding what that meant and accidentally getting drunk. At least then these women wouldn’t come off as just down right horrible.

Besides that, I liked the art in this strip and found the throwing up on Teddi’s breasts kind of funny. I also liked the joke that saying out loud what they’re doing IS talking to themselves because they would already know what the other is thinking.
Why would any decide to ask anyone, "Oh hey, you just came into a bar. Are you a recovering alcoholic?"

As for the idea of giving her a Hard Lemonade. My thought on that one is, "Charity had to like it, if she kept drinking it. Hard Lemonade does not taste like regular lemonade."

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

dmra wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:37 pm
brasca wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:07 pm

Guess the little matter of giving somebody alcohol rather than a soft drink rather took attention away from Charity continuing her run of sexual assaults on Teddi by sticking her head into Teddi's cleavage and "motorboating" her.

Or perhaps in the DC world when a woman says "Hey!" she's really say "Yes".
At least, in this case, you can blame Charity's lecherous behavior on the booze and not just a conscious excuse to act inappropriately for the sake of a cheap thrill.

blood_and_cocopops

Post by blood_and_cocopops »

Cortez wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:20 pm

That said, this IS a comic, its a comedy and your expected to have a suspension of disbelief.
Understandable. But if giving her alcohol when she asked for lemonade crosses your limits the problem isn't the comic. I genuinly think people are looking for excuses to attack the comic at this point.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:32 pm
Cortez wrote:

Understandable. But if giving her alcohol when she asked for lemonade crosses your limits the problem isn't the comic. I genuinly think people are looking for excuses to attack the comic at this point.
Being critical on how a scene is written is not a form of attack. Honestly. 8-|
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:27 pm
Why would any decide to ask anyone, "Oh hey, you just came into a bar. Are you a recovering alcoholic?"
Why would anyone assume that someone asking for a lemonade would be asking for/be okay with the hard stuff?

Just because you're at a bar doesn't mean you necessarily want to get tipsy/drunk.
As for the idea of giving her a Hard Lemonade. My thought on that one is, "Charity had to like it, if she kept drinking it. Hard Lemonade does not taste like regular lemonade."
Given her naivety to how the mortal world works, I'm more prone to believe Charity took a sip of the hard lemonade, noticed the off taste, and wrote it off as mortal beverages just being inferior to angelic beverages and continued to drink to be polite.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Fluffy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:35 pm
Cortez wrote:

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Why would anyone assume that someone asking for a lemonade would be asking for/be okay with the hard stuff?

Just because you're at a bar doesn't mean you necessarily want to get tipsy/drunk.
Given her naivety to how the mortal world works, I'm more prone to believe Charity took a sip of the hard lemonade, noticed the off taste, and wrote it off as mortal beverages just being inferior to angelic beverages and continued to drink to be polite.
With that thought, I would wonder how a super strong Angel who has a better energy drink than humans, even gets drunk on normal human alcohol without at the very least, drinking out the entire stock.

brasca

Post by brasca »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:38 pm
Fluffy wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:35 pm

JoybuzzerX wrote:

With that thought, I would wonder how a super strong Angel who has a better energy drink than humans, even gets drunk on normal human alcohol without at the very least, drinking out the entire stock.
Now that’s something that requires suspension of disbelief. However, Charity’s angelic powers were drained so she may not have the same strength as before.

Tako

Post by Tako »

Cortez wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:31 am
This was pretty funny actually.

And it seems Charity can tell Teddy doesn't have the mark, though i wasn't aware that she knew.
The mark is the reason Charity and the other angels weren't allowed to chase Chloe out of Teddy's house. Chloe was lawfully "married" to Teddy, so she had both residence rights and lawful ownership of Teddy's soul...

Um... I wonder if the angels (other than Charity) will learn that Teddy is no longer "married" to a succubus, which would make any demoness still living under his roof an acceptable target for a purge...