Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Gotoh

Re: Dangerously Chloe 1-10-18 Craving for Men

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:55 pm
TtheLurker wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:13 pm
Is there any character in this comic that a heterosexual male reader can empathize with?
Someone posted a list of heterosexual characters in the first page.
You missed the point of Lurker's question (i.e. are there any likeable ones?).

dmra

Post by dmra »

Gotoh wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:43 pm
If we're being honest, I'd say that's because of Chloe. She never had much presence to begin with, she was always a side character at best and a background extra the rest of the time. The only time that changed was during the Doompanties arc. So I'm not surprised that she hasn't had much involvement even in her own comic. If anything, it's consistent for her character.
That isn't a dig at Chloe, it's just how I've always seen her based on what we've seen of her. :-??
It's a matter of opinion obviously but because Chloe was a side character in EC doesn't mean that she wasn't capable of being more in a different environment. Chloe showed lots of personality in some of the earlier story arcs. The time travel screw-up story line and the Valentine's Day arcs spring to mind.

The PixieTrix team obviously thought she was interesting enough to use her in a new strip when they had plenty of other characters they could have chosen. Even after she started fading into the background they still thought she was popular enough to make a figure of. Not Pandora, not Abby, not Teddy or Teddi but Chloe.

The big problem with Chloe wasn't any lack of personality or popularity more that her character simply doesn't fit very well into the type of sex comedy that DC has become. Despite being a succubus she's essentially a romantic innocent. The trouble is that romantic innocents don't exactly have a lot of possibilities in a sex romp.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:08 pm
Chloe showed lots of personality in some of the earlier story arcs. The time travel screw-up story line and the Valentine's Day arcs spring to mind.
Genuinely curious about this part. In what way? :-\

We already knew she was a screw up and we had already seen that her jealousy draws out her meaner side during the Doompanties arc.
dmra wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:08 pm
her character simply doesn't fit very well into the type of sex comedy that DC has become. The trouble is that romantic innocents don't exactly have a lot of possibilities in a sex romp.
I'd say that depends more on the writer and the character. Take 'El-Hazard: The Magnificent World' for example. Makoto Mizuhara was a romantic innocent and he wound up in all sorts of sexual situations - like having to play body double for a missing lesbian princess (Fatora), which caused said princess' girlfriend (Alliel) to mistake him for her. So Alliel thought she was climbing into bed with Fatora, untl she startled Makoto awake by squeezing his junk.

It's one of the funniest scenes in the series.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:27 am
My two cents: I think their point was that there are no heterosexual characters that matter.
Teddy's father is straight, but a horribly negligent parent, who also only returned in the strip to become a prop in Pandora's "prank," which she planned in order to get some hatef**king from Teddi.
Abby is quite possibly developmentally delayed at best, or extremely stupid and selfish at worst.
Triana seemed a bit bi (from what I can recall), and Naomi was thrown out of the limits of the story.
The school jocks are shown as hetereo, however, they are irrelevant props, like Teddy's father.
Has Jacqui appeared in the spin-off series? If she did, it was so brief that I can't remember.
Jacqui was Teddy's childhood crush and there was an entire arc with her. We are even shown why her libido is how it is.

As for Triana, her interests were Chris Montana and Teddy (for a second but it counts), other than that, she said to Naomi that she was not into women and after the Valentine's Day Massacre (Lucretia screwing her by making out with Chris, and Chloe screwing her by insulting her and making her believe that Teddy did it) she said that she was done with men (and that's not evidence for her being a bit bi, most women have said that or will say it at one point of their lives), it was then when Naomi (high on that heaven energy drink), said that she should go out with Lacy and pushed them, she only agreed because no one would see them, but the moment Lacy was about to kiss her she put a "yuck" face. Lastly when Lacy saw Teddy's soldier and went home with him, Triana was only upset because it was Decarlo that "stole her", not because she was into her.

So all the evidence points to Triana being straight, the thing with Lacy was mostly Naomi's shenanigans and she not wanting to upset Lacy (we know she wants to keep the cheer squad intact, and this could jeopardize that).
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

dmra

Post by dmra »

@Gotoh

Go back and read the Valentine's Day arc. You'll see Chloe using a variety of techniques to split up couples. So using her imagination to ruin lives while still showing her nice side. http://www.dangerouslychloe.com/strips- ... u_kind_sir

Which is where the (potentially) interesting part of Chloe comes in. Although she is a succubus she's probably nicer than 90% of the humans and angels in the comic. Unlike Ilsa or Lucretia she isn't traditionally evil. Unlike Pandora she's not a trickster. She's a succubus who wants to do good but just isn't very good at it.

And romantic innocents in sex romps really have only one basic role. To get caught up in embarrassing misunderstandings. Which is a pretty one dimensional job even if it can be a funny one. But after a few times of getting caught up and not realising what's happening or being able to do anything about it and they start looking less innocent and more stupid or ineffectual.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:59 pm
Go back and read the Valentine's Day arc. You'll see Chloe using a variety of techniques to split up couples. So using her imagination to ruin lives while still showing her nice side. to ruin lives while still showing her nice side.
Still not seeing much difference from when she was at Charybdis. All that changed was she went from doing it by accident to doing it deliberately. Aside from that, she's still a screw up.
dmra wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 1974 2:24 pm
And romantic innocents in sex romps really have only one basic role. To get caught up in embarrassing misunderstandings. Which is a pretty one dimensional job even if it can be a funny one.
Not necessarily. They can also be the only sane man (or girl) of the group. Case in point: Brooke.

Ace too, such as when he offered Brooke his jacket since she tore her pants by snaking out on Ash. Both were romantic innocents who were level-headed and mature for their age.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Gotoh wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:33 pm

You missed the point of Lurker's question (i.e. are there any likeable ones?).
Nah, didn't miss it an the answer is the same.

And like i said, Heterosexual men aren't an underrepresented group.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Gotoh wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:19 am
Still not seeing much difference from when she was at Charybdis. All that changed was she went from doing it by accident to doing it deliberately. Aside from that, she's still a screw up.
Not sure where in EC Chloe went around accidentally splitting couples up. She tried to split up Kade and Layla in the Doompanties arc but that was deliberate and under magical influence.

I don't remember her being that much of a screw up either. There was the arc where she got the hiccups and started producing pheromones but I wouldn't really call that a "screw-up". Other than that she was basically there as Nina's best friend.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:49 am
Not sure where in EC Chloe went around accidentally splitting couples up. She tried to split up Kade and Layla in the Doompanties arc but that was deliberate and under magical influence.
I'm referring to the fact that Chloe made a mess of things, often despite her good intentions. Remember how the pink bomb incident started? She was trying to keep her pheromones stuffed in her locker, where they couldn't cause any harm. And yet...

Or how 'bout when she went rummaging through her mom's underwear drawer and borrowed the only ones that were sealed, without bothering to ask her mom why, and what that decision lead to.

Or - How 'bout when she announced she was transferring to Tartarus U to learn to control her powers so she'd no longer be a threat to her friends? Do I need to point out what a bang up job she hasn't been doing in that regard? As in, being directly responsible for Teddy's parents divorcing, turning Jacqui into a nympho, and briefly lost control and almost killed Teddy.

She was a screw up at Charybdis, she's a bigger screw up now and she's still a threat to her friends.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Since Chloe had no way of knowing that a collection of succubus pheromones could reach critical mass and explode it seems to be a bit unfair to call her a screw up for that. In fact leaving a set of pheromones floating freely around a school would have seemed far more dangerous to most people than keeping them in a locker. And bear in mind Chloe was in school so didn't exactly have a lot of storage options.

Being a man and not having any transvestite inclinations I've never rummaged through my mother's underwear drawer. I suspect if I did I might well want to wear a pair that were still in a box rather than a pair which she had worn herself. Not to mention that most of Adora's underwear wasn't exactly suitable for somebody Chloe's age.

And if anybody was a screw up in that arc it was Adora. What kind of idiot leaves a massively powerful supernatural artefact in their underwear drawer?
In fact she managed to look after them so well that they were taken not once but twice allowing a demon to be summoned into the world.

And learning to control your powers isn't the sign of a screw-up if anything it's the sign of somebody who is doing the right thing. She'd be much more of a screw up if she didn't want to learn how to do that and continued putting her friends into danger.

But speaking of screw ups an d being a threat to people. How about Brooke who was perfectly happy to help Kade's body get possessed by another cat spirit just to please Lamia? Or Twiggett who was enthusiastic with the idea of performing experiments on school students? I don't think anything Chloe has done in either arc has came close to that kind of thing.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:32 am
Since Chloe had no way of knowing that a collection of succubus pheromones could reach critical mass and explode it seems to be a bit unfair to call her a screw up for that.
Perhaps, but it's beside the point which is: despite her good intentions, she made a bad situation worse.
dmra wrote:
I suspect if I did I might well want to wear a pair that were still in a box
Even if that box was locked and marked with a pentagram? 'cuz I'd be hesitant to even touch it. :-\
dmra wrote:
learning to control your powers isn't the sign of a screw-up if anything it's the sign of somebody who is doing the right thing.
Except she still hasn't learned to control them. That's why she accidentally travelled back in time without realizing it. She also only meant to give Jacqui a jumpstart and wound up overdoing it. And the sight of Teddy shirtless made her lose control. So clearly her studies at Tartarus haven't done her any good.
dmra wrote:
How about Brooke who was perfectly happy to help Kade's body get possessed by another cat spirit just to please Lamia? Or Twiggett who was enthusiastic with the idea of performing experiments on school students?
Brooke did more good than harm. A single lapse of judgement doesn't change that. Same goes for Twiggit, who was basically their Doc Brown. That's why Nina and her friends relied on her.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

brasca wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:13 pm
Error of Logic wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:38 pm
At least the bath scene ended up somewhere adjacent to humorous. If you squint a bit.
I'll leave it at that...
Indeed and after Teddy has his fill of men it’ll be Teddi’s turn with women. Rub-a-dub-dub. :-j
Meh. It's been done. A lot.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Gotoh wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:21 am
Brooke did more good than harm. A single lapse of judgement doesn't change that. Same goes for Twiggit, who was basically their Doc Brown. That's why Nina and her friends relied on her.
Brooke was willing to go along with a cat spirit being put into Kade's body.

I don't think it was ever made exactly clear what was going to happen to Kade but I doubt that it was going to be pleasant. But it was something that is pretty likely to mess up someone's life as a bare minimum. She'd need to have done an awful lot of really good things to make up for that and I don't think that letting Layla feed off her once really makes up for it.

And it's a pretty odd logic that goes that it's OK for a school science teacher to undertake mad scientist type experiments on pupils because some other pupils come to them for advice.

Are there any other things that you think Twiggett should be allowed to get away with because Nina and Co think she's helpful? Shoplifting? Arson? Parking in a disabled spot?

Now I like both characters too but that doesn't blind me to their faults and failings.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Error of Logic wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:36 am
brasca wrote:
Error of Logic wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:38 pm
At least the bath scene ended up somewhere adjacent to humorous. If you squint a bit.
I'll leave it at that...
Indeed and after Teddy has his fill of men it’ll be Teddi’s turn with women. Rub-a-dub-dub. :-j
Exactly. A change in face doesn't change the fact it's been done to death, already.

I'd personally like to see the plot turn back to saving Chloe/handling her immediate problem instead of keeping focus on Teddy/Teddi's sexual adventures and his/her accession into Godlihood. :-Q
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:01 pm
Error of Logic wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:36 am
brasca wrote:

Exactly. A change in face doesn't change the fact it's been done to death, already.

I'd personally like to see the plot turn back to saving Chloe/handling her immediate problem instead of keeping focus on Teddy/Teddi's sexual adventures and his/her accession into Godlihood. :-Q
True, but observers such as you and I know that the stupider and sleazier "story" will be more likely than actually paying more than a passing reference to Chloe. Sigh.