Dangerously Chloe 14-06-18 Her Own Age Again

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Gotoh

Re: Dangerously Chloe 14-06-18 Her Own Age Again

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:43 pm
Taking Abby anywhere else in the human world would have solved 1) at least for a time but done nothing to rectify 2). On the other hand Chloe knows that Hell has people, like Ilsa, who can do magic and could probably return Abby to normal.
So does CH, remember? Twiggit was the one who figured out how to change Kade back into a boy, which is why Chloe stole the idea from her, later at the dance.

Twiggit was also the one who figured how the Tiresias Orb worked and how it had synced with Blair. She was moments away from deducing how to undo the effects right before she got zapped by it herself. Point being, she was their "go-to" gal when weird sh*t needed sorting out, but it's like Chloe completely forgot about that.

She also seems to have forgotten that her mother is an older, experienced succubus who also seems to know a bit about magic. Adora even told Chloe she can come to her for advice. So Chloe had better options than taking Abby to Tartarus U.

note: In the bottom-left panel of the first link, Twiggit also deduced that the kiss Kade gave Ace had only "loosened" the orb's grip on him, rather than removing it entirely. Which was later confirmed by Tia, when she did the honors. Further proof that Twiggit knows what she's talking about.

dmra

Post by dmra »

I have every respect for high school teachers but I can't help feeling that you're giving Twiggitt a mite too much credit. I notice, for instance, that you didn't link to this strip www.eeriecuties.com/strips-ec/Being_picky . There Twiggitt's solution isn't only impractical but her desire to experiment on the student body rather than help them wouldn't endear her to me if I needed to get some sensible and reliable help.

Not only that but Twiggitt couldn't do magic herself but relied on artefacts. So there would be no guarantee that she could help Abby - she wasn't any help to Ace or Kade remember - and even if she could with Abby Lord alone knows how long it might take. So compared to Ilsa - who Chloe knows for sure can help immediately - Twiggitt would be a poor choice.

The point about Adora is a stronger one except that she has never appeared in any DC strip. Perhaps Chloe doesn't know where she is. Perhaps her magic isn't as strong as Ilsa's (I don't offhand remember many examples of her using any magic) or perhaps she's just another clue in the peculiar case of the lack of any reliable, sensible or decent authority figures in the town where Teddy, Abby and co live. Either way you'd probably have to take that up with the writers.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:32 pm
I can't help feeling that you're giving Twiggitt a mite too much credit. I notice, for instance, that you didn't link to this strip. There Twiggitt's solution isn't only impractical but her desire to experiment on the student body rather than help them wouldn't endear her to me if I needed to get some sensible and reliable help.
That's only one example, as opposed to all the other times where Twiggit was spot-on.
dmra wrote:
Not only that but Twiggitt couldn't do magic herself but relied on artefacts.
I hardly see how that invalidates her as a better option than Slash-Stab, who Chloe knows is antagonistic and a troll.
dmra wrote:
The point about Adora is a stronger one except that she has never appeared in any DC strip. Perhaps Chloe doesn't know where she is.
How would Chloe forget her own home address? She used to live there. :-\

dmra

Post by dmra »

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:30 pm
dmra wrote:
I can't help feeling that you're giving Twiggitt a mite too much credit. I notice, for instance, that you didn't link to this strip. There Twiggitt's solution isn't only impractical but her desire to experiment on the student body rather than help them wouldn't endear her to me if I needed to get some sensible and reliable help.
That's only one example, as opposed to all the other times where Twiggit was spot-on.

I think that one example of a teacher referring to their students as "test subjects" and regretting not being able to use them in an experiment is more than enough to suggest that they might not be the best person in the world to take somebody in Abby's position to.

dmra wrote:
Not only that but Twiggitt couldn't do magic herself but relied on artefacts.
I hardly see how that invalidates her as a better option than Slash-Stab, who Chloe knows is antagonistic and a troll.

Because it means that unless Twiggitt has an artefact that is specifically for reversing the changes bought on by a human injecting themselves with succubus and reaper blood it's incredibly unlikely that she'll be able to help. And certainly not in any kind of reasonable time frame when Abby is walking around with wings, horns and a tail.

Slash-Stab is still the best choice for a quick and permanent solution to Abby's difficulties. And I'd add there again that Chloe was clearly expecting there to be a price for Ilsa's services, one she was willing to pay even though it was Abby who screwed up. And, if Abby hadn't screwed up again by signing the second contract how in any way shape or form would she have been harmed by her trip to Tartarus?
dmra wrote:
The point about Adora is a stronger one except that she has never appeared in any DC strip. Perhaps Chloe doesn't know where she is.
How would Chloe forget her own home address? She used to live there. :-\

Yes I appreciate that Chloe once lived with her mother. The point is that the house might be there but Adora might not be. People do travel or move. But all of that is really irrelevant since the creators have clearly decided against the presence of any half-way sensible or competent adult. If they hadn't Chloe could just have asked her mother to find out how to break the pact rather than sneaking into Tartarus to research it.

You might also well want to ask why Chloe hasn't bothered to visit Nina in all the time she's been back on earth. She obviously still cares deeply about her but not enough to make a phone call. Or perhaps it doesn't suit the creators to "remember" that Chloe has friends and family and doesn't just depend on the DeCarlos and Pandora for her entire social life.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:59 pm
I think that one example of a teacher referring to their students as "test subjects" and regretting not being able to use them in an experiment is more than enough to suggest that they might not be the best person in the world to take somebody in Abby's position to.
So if someone's right 99.9% of the time, they suddenly become a bad choice if they're wrong only once? 'cuz that's basically what you're saying.
dmra wrote:
Because it means that unless Twiggitt has an artefact that is specifically for reversing the changes bought on by a human injecting themselves with succubus and reaper blood it's incredibly unlikely that she'll be able to help.
She didn't need an artifact to figure out how the orb worked, she didn't need one to figure out how to change Kade back. Why would she necessarily need an artifact now?
dmra wrote:
Slash-Stab is still the best choice for a quick and permanent solution to Abby's difficulties.
When has Slash-Stab ever offered a solution to anything? I'll admit that I haven't read all of DC, but I can't recall a single instance where she's ever been helpful.
dmra wrote:
if Abby hadn't screwed up again by signing the second contract how in any way shape or form would she have been harmed by her trip to Tartarus?
Besides the fact that it's in Hell, which was enough of a deterrent that even a ditzy vampire knew better than to set foot there? That's like asking what harm can come from a trip to the Shadow Realm.
dmra wrote:
The point is that the house might be there but Adora might not be. People do travel or move.
Chloe wasn't gone for that long (according to Jacqui, it'd only been a few months). The only way it'd be plausible is if Adora packed up and moved within days/weeks of Chloe's transfer.

dmra

Post by dmra »

@Gotoh

Twiggitt wasn't right 99% of the time. She appeared in less than 30 strips not all of which showed her being right. So that one strip was a lot more than 1% of the time. Also she may have been right about some of the things she got involved with but that doesn't make her a morally good person. However competent she may be the fact that she was disappointed that she couldn't use one of her students as a as a test subject is a pretty major blot on her character.

And she may have been able to work out how the Tiresias Orb worked but she had no idea how to go about reversing the changes without using the orb. Ace was "cured" by complete chance (not anything Twiggitt predicted) and Kade only by Chloe. Twiggitt did nothing practical to help either of them. So what makes you think she could give any kind of usaful advice or help in a case involving humans injecting themselves with succubus blood and reaper ectoplasm?

Unlike Slash-Stab who Chloe knows for sure has more than enough power and ability to reverse it in a matter of seconds.

Chloe wasn't asking Slash-Stab for help. She was buying her assistance. You know the kind of thing Hell tends to be about. Contracts for services in return for payment. Chloe may not have been able to pay with her soul but she was still planning on buying Ilsa's help not expecting to get it from the kindness of her heart.

And as for going to Hell being such a big thing. Teddy seems to have survived OK and we was wandering round outside the school. Chlloe was hardly planning on taking Abby for an extended stay or to do the great tour but was jut going to see somebody to get the transformation reversed and then take her straight back home. Abby would have been prefectly fine had she not, against Chloe's advice, stupidly agreed to sign the contract .

And back to Adora and the rest of Chloe's past. You seem to have ignored my point that Chloe hasn't tried to speak to Nina. So she's ignored the best friend she cared so much for that being reminded of her by Abby made her decide to try to go against the will of Hell and find a way to break the pact with Teddy. So she's willing to risk that much because somebody reminds her of her best friend but can't remember her phone number or address.

The reason why Adora and Nina or anybody else won't appear isn't because Chloe is a moron it's because it wouldn't work in the DC context. There's no drama if Adora provides a quick solution and the story gets derailed if Nina and the rest show up. It's got absolutely nothing to do with Chloe but the creators avoiding things they don't want to write about.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:00 pm
Twiggitt wasn't right 99% of the time. She appeared in less than 30 strips not all of which showed her being right. So that one strip was a lot more than 1% of the time.
How does one time equal "a lot more" than 1%?

The figure I used wasn't meant to be taken literally. The point was, more often than not she's on the money and I'd say those links prove it. Even the one you used, because Nina used the vase herself and it worked exactly as Twiggit said it would. The fact that Ace chose not to go along with it (can't say I blame him) doesn't change that.
dmra wrote:
Also she may have been right about some of the things she got involved with but that doesn't make her a morally good person.

She's no worse than Doc Brown. No one at CH has any problems with her, 'cuz she's the one Nina and her friends turn to whenever they need help.
dmra wrote:
And she may have been able to work out how the Tiresias Orb worked but she had no idea how to go about reversing the changes without using the orb.
Not true, she had just started thinking of a solution right before she was zapped.
dmra wrote:
and Kade only by Chloe. Twiggitt did nothing practical to help either of them.
Re-read the strips I linked to earlier. Twiggit deduced they could use the residual enrgy from the orb (i.e. Blair) to change Kade back. Chloe stole idea from her, after hearing about it from Brooke.
dmra wrote:
Chloe wasn't asking Slash-Stab for help. She was buying her assistance. You know the kind of thing Hell tends to be about.
Since when...? Hell, as most people know it, is where the condemned suffer eternal damnation and torment.
dmra wrote:
Chloe may not have been able to pay with her soul but she was still planning on buying Ilsa's help not expecting to get it from the kindness of her heart.
So if Twiggit isn't a good person (in your view) how is Slash-Stab morally any better?

dmra

Post by dmra »

CH had a headmistress who sent three inexperienced teenage witches to a school for monster hunters where one of the lessons was what was the burning point of a witch. That suggests to me that conventional morality and the notion of a duty of care aren't really big things in CH. So yes Twiggitt probably doesn't stand out that much compared to the rest of the faculty.

The changes I was talking about were the ones that happened to Ace and Kade. Twiggitt had the orb but because it had run out of power she couldn't use it. Without it the best advice she could give anybody was to steal somebody else's body or just wait around to see what might happen. In practice she was about as useful as an astronomer saying "look at that big asteroid. When it hits earth we're all going to die. Stop it? Oh no we can't stop it but at least we can all watch it getting bigger as it comes closer. Which will be aweome"

If Chloe took Abby to see her the most likely outcome would be Chloe being told that the mixture of succubus and reaper ectoplasm had caused a stable change. Which oddly enough she already knew. The chances of Twiggitt coming up with any kind of solution to that not so great.

And I am not saying or have ever said that Slash-Stab is remotely moral. She's a truly appalling character with nothing but a dark sense of humour to redeem her. But her lack of morality isn't as important as her magical power and her willingness to sign deals in return for it.

So I am saying that Hell works on contracts. Leaving aside the fact that this story only happened because Teddy entered into a contract you may have heard of Faust and the whole soul selling thing. It's hardly a novelty to suggest that there are two routes to Hell. One is to be condemned for your actions the other is to sell your soul for something in the here and now in return for going there when you die. Contracts the Devil is famously bound to follow because even he has to obey the rules. Hence the number of stories about people trying to find loopholes in their contracts.

So Chloe could offer something up and the problem would be gone. Nobody else would be disadvantaged or have to suffer and the problem of Abby's transformation would be solved. It only became a problem when Abby did the decent thing and wouldn't let Chloe make a sacrifice to help her and then - despite Chloe telling her not to - signed a different contract of her own free will.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:13 am
CH had a headmistress who sent three inexperienced teenage witches to a school for monster hunters where one of the lessons was what was the burning point of a witch. That suggests to me that conventional morality and the notion of a duty of care aren't really big things in CH.
So you consider the entire faculty at CH to be a bad lot solely because of what their principal did? What if everyone here were judged based on Vitocap, or TBeholder's posts? Would that be fair?
dmra wrote:
So yes Twiggitt probably doesn't stand out that much compared to the rest of the faculty.
Twiggit stands out because she's sensible and knowledgeable, two things you'd want from an authority figure. The worst that can be said about her is she's a bit of a flake.
dmra wrote:
Twiggitt had the orb but because it had run out of power she couldn't use it. Without it the best advice she could give anybody was to steal somebody else's body or just wait around to see what might happen.
She was actively working on a solution as the situation was unfolding.. The orb affected her before she could finish her thought, but she was still working on it even as her mind was being altered and figured out how to get Blair to change everyone back (panels 3 and 4).
dmra wrote:
The chances of Twiggitt coming up with any kind of solution to that not so great.
We'll never know because it wasn't allowed to happen.
dmra wrote:
I am saying that Hell works on contracts.

It only became a problem when Abby did the decent thing and wouldn't let Chloe make a sacrifice to help her and then - despite Chloe telling her not to - signed a different contract of her own free will.
I'm not ignoring Abby's shortsightedness. I agree she was foolish, but Chloe made it possible by bringing her there in the first place. If she hadn't, that contract never would have been written.

dmra

Post by dmra »

You seem not to have noticed that the Tiresias Orb caused two problems. One was the threatening of the future of the human race as everybody was turned into Blair's ideal woman, The other was the long term fact that Ace was not changed back when everybody else was.

It was the last of those two that she couldn't do anything about. Ace stayed as a girl until Kade kissed him and then Kade stayed as a girl until Chloe intervened.

So while Twiggitt may have been about to solve the problem while the Orb was working as soon as it stopped functioning there was absolutely nothing she could do.

Oh except suggest that Ace went back to being a boy by swapping his essence into another boy's body. Even giving her the benefit of the doubt that she would get the boy to agree first that was hardly a great solution even before her reaction to Ace saying "no" of complaining that she needed a guinea pig to test something out. So a bit of a flake is putting it mildly when she's violating every ethical principle of being a teacher and a scientist.

And if we're being picky while you can be knowledgable and "a bit of a flake" I'm not sure that you can be sensible and "a bit of a flake". Those two seem rather contradictory to me.

But if you still maintain that Chloe should have gone to Twiggitt (who has no magic powers and might every well regard Abby as a rather large lab animal) rather than Ilsa (who has powers to spare and can be bought if the price is right) perhaps you could answer a few easy questions.

1) How exactly do you think Twiggitt could have helped?
2) How long do you think it would have taken?
3) What was going to happen to Abby in the meantime? You know the little girl with horns, a tail and wings. Not the easiest thing to hide while at school.
4) How could Chloe be sure that, while Twiggitt was on the case, the monster hunters wouldn't return to either take Abby away or apply a more violent solution?

Now in the scenario where Chloe takes Abby to Hell the answers are
1) By magic.
2) Five minutes.
3) Nothing because she'd be fully human again.
4) See 3).

Which seems a pretty good solution. Except for Chloe of course who was planning on paying for Slash-Stab services.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:43 am
You seem not to have noticed that the Tiresias Orb caused two problems. One was the threatening of the future of the human race as everybody was turned into Blair's ideal woman, The other was the long term fact that Ace was not changed back when everybody else was.
I'm aware of both points, especially given I linked to several strips concerning both issues.
dmra wrote:
It was the last of those two that she couldn't do anything about. Ace stayed as a girl until Kade kissed him and then Kade stayed as a girluntil Chloe intervened.
Two things here: 1.) you're conflating "wasn't allowed" with "couldn't" (that's two different things) 2.) Chloe stole Twiggit's idea.

For point one, Twiggit was compromised during the event. She also wasn't aware (at that time) that Ace had been affected, and had no way of knowing he'd be outside the building when the effects of the orb were reversed. She isn't psychic. Once the matter was brought to her attention, she brought up the vase as a short-term solution. It wasn't ideal, but it was the best she could come up with until she'd had time to study Blair - which is how she discovered the risidual energy from Blair's contact with the orb was still attached to him. And from that, she extrapolated that Blair could be used to change Kade back.

Which leads us to point two: without Twiggit's research, Chloe couldn't have done jack for Kade. She was avoiding contact with Blair, like every other girl at CH, until Brooke told her why she and Twiggit were looking him.
dmra wrote:
So a bit of a flake is putting it mildly when she's violating every ethical principle of being a teacher and a scientist.
Again, no worse than Doc Brown using his dog "Einie" to test the DeLorean, or regularly using Marty in his science experiments. Which, like Twiggit, was presented comically to establish her and Emmett's eccentricity. So yes, she's a bit of a flake.
dmra wrote:
I'm not sure that you can be sensible and "a bit of a flake". Those two seem rather contradictory to me.
Because she's still a responsible adult (for example). It's just in most cases, she tends to be a goof instead, which also makes her a flake.
dmra wrote:
Now in the scenario where Chloe takes Abby to Hell the answers are
1) By magic. Which assumes Slash-Stab was feeling cooperative.
2) Five minutes. (see 1)
3) Nothing because she'd be fully human again. (at what cost?)
The above solution is about the same as turning to Tia for help. Sure, she can probably give you what you want with a snap of her fingers (literally), or a wave of her finger. But that "help" hinges entirely on whether she feels like cooperating, because she and Slash-Stab are much more likely to screw you over instead for their own amusement.

Abby would've been better off with Twiggit, because she's willing to provide her services free of charge and can usually come up with a solution, so long as she's given enough time.

dmra

Post by dmra »

So experimenting on switching people's bodies and spirits (possibly without even their consent) around isn't "ideal". I'd suggest that words like "irresponsible", "dangerous" and "stupid" would come to mind. And no it isn't right because somebody else in a comedy does the same kind of thing. "Oh how can I possibly test my new time machine? I know I'll get a teenager with no real scientific knowledge to do it. What could go wrong? It's not like he might be tempted to mess around with the time lines with implications for the whole of humanity or anything."

Can't help noticing that you didn't answer any of my 4 questions about Twiggitt. Like how exactly you think she might help or how you didn't address the issue about the amount of time Twiggitt would take to help. Guess you don't think that's important when a 12 year old girl is wandering around the human world with wings a tail and horns. Which might be OK in CH but Abby's part of Canada is unlikely to take that in its stride.

And if Slash-Stab wouldn't help how would that make the situation worse? Abby would be in the same position except for taking a short trip to the infernal equivalent of Hogwarts which is hardly an ordeal.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:14 pm
So experimenting on switching people's bodies and spirits (possibly without even their consent) around isn't "ideal". I'd suggest that words like "irresponsible", "dangerous" and "stupid" would come to mind.
Except the comic clearly shows otherwise, given Nina and her friends admire her. When weird things happen at the school, she's the one they turn to to make sense of it and sort things out. In light of that, she can be forgiven her eccentricities, since like Doc, no harm ever comes of it.
dmra wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:19 pm
Can't help noticing that you didn't answer any of my 4 questions about Twiggitt. Like how exactly you think she might help or how you didn't address the issue about the amount of time Twiggitt would take to help.
Because I already said there's no way of knowing, since Twiggit isn't involved in DC. So I can't say how she might've done it, or how much time she'd need to find a solution for her. The most I've said is it might've been possible for her, given what she's helped with in the past.

She admitted that changing Kade back to a boy was initially beyond her means, when he first asked her about it. But she also said she was already working on several ideas on how she might be able to do it and went with what she determined to be the best one: Blair.
dmra wrote: And if Slash-Stab wouldn't help how would that make the situation worse? Abby would be in the same position except for taking a short trip to the infernal equivalent of Hogwarts which is hardly an ordeal.
Besides the possibility of Abby getting hurt, considering who and what lurks in the fiery depths? Like the magma raptors Adora mentioned.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Let's not forget that Nina also idolised a vampire queen who staged a reign of terror. Her moral judgements may not be the best evidence for somebody being a good guy. Oh and as for the fact that no harm has come to anybody. I've got two words for you. "So far". Up until the point that his creation went on a rampage Frankenstein hadn't done anybody any harm either. That the thing about mad science. Its always fun right up until somebody gets hurt.

So you can't say how Twiggitt might have helped or how long it might have taken but you've been criticising Chloe for not going to her for help rather than to Slash-Stab who could have helped with a snap of her fingers. Righty oh.

I'm pretty sure magma raptors don't rush down the hallways of Tartarus Academy. On the other hand how safe is CH? We had the episode with the Tiresias Orb, we had Chloe in the Doompanties arc, we also has Chloe's pheremones turning half the school into mindless zombies. Let's not forget Tiff breaking in to practice her monster hunting and vampires feeding on humans in the grounds. And that's all I can think of in a couple of minutes. I'm sure there's more dangerous occurrences I've forgotten. The only school less safe than that that I can think of is the one Buffy went to.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:15 pm
Let's not forget that Nina also idolised a vampire queen who staged a reign of terror. Her moral judgements may not be the best evidence for somebody being a good guy.
Nina isn't the only one. I specifically said Nina "and her friends," which includes Brooke who also admires Twiggit. If you re-read the strip I linked to in my previous post, you'll notice Brooke was consolling Chloe by assuring her that Twiggit could save the guys she'd just fed on.
dmra wrote:
So you can't say how Twiggitt might have helped or how long it might have taken but you've been criticising Chloe for not going to her for help rather than to Slash-Stab who could have helped with a snap of her fingers.
No, I'm saying Twiggit would be a better choice because, unlike Slash-Stab, she'd be willing to cooperate without any strings attached. Whereas any assistance Slash-Stab offers comes at a price, and that's IF she even feels like helping at all.
dmra wrote:
I'm pretty sure magma raptors don't rush down the hallways of Tartarus Academy.
Sure, but that hinges on making it there in the first place. But I wouldn't consider Tartarus U. safe by any means, given what we've seen of the student body and their headmaster who have no qualms about killing humans.
dmra wrote:
On the other hand how safe is CH?
They have a science teacher, who's helped avert disaster at the school at least twice. They also have both Layla and Jeffrey the groundskeeper to protect the student body by keeping humans away from school grounds. And the ones Layla catches are set free relatively unharmed, after she wipes their memory (panels 2 and 3).

Between the two schools, Charybdis sounds safer.