Dangerously Chloe 14-06-18 Her Own Age Again

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

dmra

Re: Dangerously Chloe 14-06-18 Her Own Age Again

Post by dmra »

Right so the basic argument between us boils down to this. Chloe has a choice between doing something that provides an immediate solution to their problem with Abby but requires paying Ilsa a price for her help (my preferred solution) or go to Twiggitt who could help for nothing but only if she has access to some kind of external power or device that could reverse Abby's transition but not for who knows how long (your preferred solution).

Since I cant see either of us changing our mind and since I think we've gone back and forward on the pros and cons of either choice enough it's probably better to let the readers decide which, if any, they think it better.

I just think that the received wisdom that Chloe was stupid to take Abby to Tartarus is over stating the case. Speaking to Ilsa may not have been an ideal solution but then again neither were any of the alternatives.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

There is a sliding scale of less ideal, however.
Twigitt, for all her failings, is a creature of the mortal realm.
Slash-Stab is literally an agent of eternal torment, an enemy of all mortal creatures.

I do not fully blame Chloe for this bad decision, because as I've said before (and probably will again), she's been undergoing conditioning at Tartarus academy, and besides this was raised by a succubus who actively hunts and corrupts in the mortal realm. Her standards for what is 'safe' are bound to be off.
That said, she was raised in the mortal realm and should be exposed to mortal culture to some extent. She knows Teddy/Teddi is vehemently opposed to getting stuck in Hell, knows what Slash-Stab is capable of, has heard Slash-Stab say outright that she looks forward to seeing Teddy/Teddi suffer more.
In the end, Chloe's decision to go to her in spite of this was... just... stupid.

But then again, the plot has been shaped to head off possible good alternatives. Chloe might have contacted them through Alchemy long before now to look for alternative solutions for the whole blood pact, and now Abby's nonsense -- but she is written as hating angels. She could have gone to ask her mother for advice... but for some reason Adora has not come up for the full run of DC. We have seen Chloe remembers the Hellrune coven from CH, she could go talk to them for a magical solution... but she's avoided them ever since she discovered she was the one who ruined Teddy's chance of finding his first love with Jacqui, presumably out of embarrassment. And so on and so forth.

dmra

Post by dmra »

But sometimes all choices are bad (especially when as you note the creators make it that way). If Abby wasn't "cured" then they had the problem of what to do with an irresponsible and impulsive 12 year old who has a set of wings, tails and a horns. Without locking Abby at home how long would it be before her secret was exposed? It was implausible enough that Teddy's school accepted the surgery explanation but how could anyone possibly explain Abby's changes?

And that's without the discovery that monster hunters are wandering around who are willing to kill cryptids.

So a quick solution to the problem was always going to be attractive.

Chloe knew Slash-Stab could provide that so she went to where she knew she could get effective help immediately. And she was clearly in no illusion that a price would have to be paid but she was willing to make that sacrifice on Abby's behalf.

And as for the taking her to Hell. It wasn't like Chloe was taking her on a long trek or for an extended stay. She went straight to school and then tried to strike the deal to get Abby returned to full human. Teddy was stuck in Hell as far as he knew and wandering around in the wild. Abby was there for less than an hour in a school. So it's not as though Chloe was taking a reckless risk.

Now it's maybe worth discussing whether or not she should have known that Abby would do something even more stupid than inject herself with the blood but up until that point I don't think anything Chloe did was that unreasonable given the options.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Error of Logic wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:55 pm
Twigitt, for all her failings, is a creature of the mortal realm.
The jury's still out on that one. I doubt she's any sort of Hellspawn, but we don't really know what Twiggit is, or isn't. I'd also quibble about the failings part, but anything I'd say at this point has already been covered in my previous posts.

Aside from that, I'd say your analysis seems pretty spot-on, so I'm inclined to agree for now. I'm just hoping Dave actually has Chloe address why she hasn't looked into any of the other options presented (at some point). :-??