Dangerously Chloe 28-05-18 Done With All That

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Error of Logic

Re: Dangerously Chloe 28-05-18 Done With All That

Post by Error of Logic »

There was a brief window when the Hartleys might have banished Heather from their lives, if I recall correctly; after she got back from her imprisonment by that lizardman, her parents had been freed of her influence. They could have run, and she would never have found them. Instead, they tried to discipline her like any misbehaving teenager.
Even when they were holding crosses, that did not work out so well for them.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Hyper Magi wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:11 pm
But no, she easily tossed her father aside when he tried to do something so no one was stopping her.
Either Steph, Katie, or Char could've dropped Heather, especially Steph considering she was able to fight evenly with Lori and Katie dropped Leslie and Zoe on her own.

Lori was the only one of the cheer vamps who knew how to fight. Which is why the prom fight almost became a stompfest for PMS.

Tako

Post by Tako »

Fluffy wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 am
Each one of those examples you gave got some real backlash for how they played out; however - each one has an excuse to overlook it (not to mention the latter two are supernaturally influenced; thus far less likely to apply to real world situations).
What I find surprising is that they only cared for the backlash from the lesbian moms, and not anything else...

Yes, they argued the other issues could be excused and such, but what they think doesn't matter, what does really matter is how comics are perceived, and I'm sure that other stuff triggered and enraged a lot of people too...
Fluffy wrote:
When it comes to the 'men hating lesbian moms raising their daughters to become lesbians based around their own biases', however - is a very real BS concern in the real world; seeing as it's one of the main arguments anti-gay people will use against gay couples having/adopting children. So playing it off as a joke can come off as being incredibly insensitive. Not to mention, maybe whoever is behind the ads may have had an issue with the negative connotations behind the gag and demanded that it be changed.
And people being pressured into unwanted sexual acts or being taken advantage while out of their wits (in the real world they would be drugged rather than hypnotized or enchanted) isn't a concern in the real, current world?

Gary is somebody with a very low self-esteem and no willpower who will do anything to avoid conflict and keep the esteem and attention of his peers... Do you know how many young girls accept to engage into unwanted sex acts for that very same reasons?

Dave insists Ace/Acina are different people, but you could as easily see Ace as somebody suffering from a mental illness who is taken advantage during an episode...

As for Heather, well, as I said, replace vampire powers with drugs...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they should change that other stuff... they are entitled to make their characters behave like assholes if they wish, and they obviously have an audience that support the comics... I just find it surprising how selective they are about what crosses the line...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

All those other cases had some kind of cover or excuse (“Gary is actually cool with this”) or was screened by some kind of metaphor (“it’s not drugs/mental illness, it’s vampire hypnosis/magic”). The “lesbian moms” thing had no such mitigation; it appeared to be a flat-out case of a mundane lesbian couple pressuring their kid to be lesbian, against her actual inclinations.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:22 pm
just accepting it because there's no other plausible explanation just makes them look like utter morons.
Accepting something as truth when there is no other possible explanation seems like pretty clear thinking to me.

Seriously. Put yourself in the place of the other students, and the faculty. What conclusion would you draw?
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

dmra

Post by dmra »

"What conclusion would you draw?"

The conclusion that something completely incredible had happened and should be investigated further. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

lordoffiling wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:06 am
Fluffy wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:22 pm
just accepting it because there's no other plausible explanation just makes them look like utter morons.
Accepting something as truth when there is no other possible explanation seems like pretty clear thinking to me.

Seriously. Put yourself in the place of the other students, and the faculty. What conclusion would you draw?
That what Teddy claims happened in a two day span is medically impossible. And maybe get in touch with his parents to find out exactly what happened.

Just because there is no other explanation doesn't mean I'm just going to accept the explanation given - especially is the explanation given is an impossible one.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Investigating really isn’t a conclusion, it’s what you do to arrive at a conclusion.

So who could perform this investigation? The school? The students?

The students already investigated. They’ve seen Teddi naked, no zippers. And they’ve held conversations with her, she’s not behaving like someone who memorized a script or anything. So they know: Yes, that’s Teddy, now Teddi, and she’s not wearing a costume.

So, they’ve investigated, what conclusion might they draw?

The school is admittedly a little trickier. But Teddy has been basically raising his little sister for years and no one has noticed, so them throwing up their hands wouldn’t be completely out of their unseen characters.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

dmra

Post by dmra »

It really comes down to story convenience. If there were proper questions asked it a) wouldn't be entertaining b) would take the story down a completely difference path.

In reality any half way responsible school would be carrying out a whole program of things like offering counselling, speaking to the student and parents and so on. The fact that nobody did anything would - in real life - be almost as incredible as somebody getting their gender reassigned and fully recovering with no evidence of scars in a weekend.

But it's a comic so stuff happens.

tau neutrino

Post by tau neutrino »

Tako wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 9:46 pm
Fluffy wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 5:24 pm
Tako wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 4:50 pm
Honestly, I can't see why the thing with Lacy's moms was such a big deal... most people in Pixie Trix's comics are horrible assholes who do horrible stuff to each other... they coerce each other into unwanted sexual acts, enslave each other, kill each other... etc.

Man-hating lesbians are like, vanilla in this world...
Pay in mind that the lesbians raising their daughters to hate men came about long before Teddy turned into a girl and made his peers into his personal harem (which he still, somehow, fails to notice he's responsible for).
Gary is constantly coerced into sexual acts he doesn't want.

Ace was basically raped by his "friends" in the were-girl mini-arc.

Heather enslaved her parents and forced them to make a baby for her amusement.

...etc.
Also going along the enslavement of her best friend Leonard as mentioned below. (I did a poll about who people would like to give her Reason You Suck Speech. It never came up because the fourth book was cancelled she became so unpopular her role was reduced in the last book.) Stephanie Kane becoming a brood mare for the Moth-men has some Fridge Horror if you think about it and consider RL Stockholm Syndrome, but that was at the end of VC so there wasn't much chance of a backlash.
Fluffy wrote:

Heather enslaving her parents and making them have another baby: Much like succubi, Vampires can be real jerks (to put it mildly). Was she in the right to do it? Absolutely not - but, was there anyone that could've stopped her? (I only caught the very end on VC; so I wouldn't know).

But then, I'm just guessing here. Maybe ask the writer why he opted to change it - get the real scoop, you know?
No one who could stop her is not really an excuse.
Dave did post his reason for changing it.
Error of Logic wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:22 pm
There was a brief window when the Hartleys might have banished Heather from their lives, if I recall correctly; after she got back from her imprisonment by that lizardman, her parents had been freed of her influence. They could have run, and she would never have found them. Instead, they tried to discipline her like any misbehaving teenager.
Even when they were holding crosses, that did not work out so well for them.
It was working until Mrs. Hartley went into labor and they had to go to the hospital. Hopefully the PMS were able to free them, but Adam Arnold thought they were too controversial to use again.
Hyper Magi wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:11 pm
The whole Heather incident was something else. At first there really wasn't much complaining about her parents being enslaved because it was implied that they were abusive so "Eh, they(or at least the mother) deserved it". Additionally the whole "Make me a sister!" was played off as a gag. Then we found out that Heather's mother was, at worst, a bit strict, and that yeah controlling her into getting pregnant and seeing it was quite the fire starter. Heather additionally started falling out of favor with the audience due to her mistreatment of Leonard.
The Hartleys were never portrayed as abusive; vampire apologists came up with that later to defend Heather. The worst Mrs. Hartley did was threaten to ground Heather after she'd vanished without phoning them and snuck in after her curfew. Ironically, they had no problem with Lori beating and threatening to kill her a few pages later.