Dangerously Chloe 29-03-18 Nice Accessories

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

dmra

Re: Dangerously Chloe 29-03-18 Nice Accessories

Post by dmra »

lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:31 am
So, I became confused about the shower as well. That setup seemed really odd.

So I texted an ex-stripper I know.

Apparently this is a thing! Some clubs actually do this. It caters to people who enjoy voyeurism.

Once the performer is in the shower, they very slowly pull back the curtain. The audience is almost always dead silent. They’re voyeurs, mind you. They’re watching.
Kudos for caring enough the comic to do the research. So either the Pixie Trix team have a lot more experience/ theoretical knowledge of strip clubs than most of the people posting here or they lucked out with the joke.

Still doesn't explain why the Asian girl thought Chloe had "nice accessories" since presumably voyeurs don't often imagine the people they're peeping on having wings and a tail.

Devil Girl

Post by Devil Girl »

You know... When racism was brought up yesterday, I almost logged in to point out that Yuki from MA3 was one of the worst racial stereotypes I've seen of a while of an Asian woman, but today's strip kind of hooked it. Call it racist or not racist (though to me a duck is a duck), it doesn't matter. I've been trying to keep my expectations low as I just wanted something sexy and funny to read. This strip could be hilarious if the dialog was changed a bit to make the side characters sound like normal people versus cardboard cutouts of stereotypes.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

I noticed that too. Everybody in this club is very heavily stereotypical. (Side note: Anybody have *any* idea what Ginger’s accent is supposed to be? I can’t pin it down.)

Again I would point out that Dave doesn’t do this, this is the first example we’ve seen in literally thousands of Pixie Trix strips where he’s leaned on borderline-offensive stereotypes, so there’s probably some purpose behind it.

I *think* he is just trying to convey to us that this is a low-class place. We’re supposed to dislike this place and everything about it.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

dmra

Post by dmra »

We did also see one of the worker "die" from an overdose but it's a bit late though to tell us how bad a place it is since Teddi's been there happily making enough money to live the life of Riley for weeks.

As somebody else suggested I think the red hair and freckles are meant to show "Ginger" is Irish but if the accent alone isn't enough to do that then I'd suggest it was best avoided in the first place., Ginger hair and freckles could just as easily suggest Scottish. I guess we're lucky Dave didn't throw in a "begorrrah" or a "hoots mon" to clarify the matter.

renmei

Post by renmei »

lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:59 am
We’re supposed to dislike this place and everything about it.
Mission accomplished then. The strip club is probably the most disliked place in the comic. Which is saying quite a bit considering there's a literal hell in the story too. :)

Fereshte

Post by Fereshte »

Clearly this was written by a man because no woman ever looked hot while taking a shower for herself and not for someone else’s gaze.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

You underestimate voyeurs' ability to be aroused by the mundane.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Well a big part of the kick is apparently seeing people acting normally so somebody theatrically soaping themselves down might take them out of the moment. But that just makes the whole accesories thing even more stand out. I'm pretty sure that most women don't put on a tail and a set of wings to go into the shower so you'd think seeing that would be counter productive rather than exciting the audience.

Personally I think I'll chalk it down to the DC equivalent of Dr Who's sonic screwdriver and just say "pheromones".

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

But you can't really apply pheromones, in this case - as there would be no reason for Chloe to exude them in what she thought was a moment of solitude.

Though it's easy to see how it could look like she is doing just that via masturbation - considering it seems like she's tweaking her nips instead of - you know - showering.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

dmra

Post by dmra »

It was kind of an in joke. I'm old enough to remember watching the original series when the sonic screwdriver was only able to open doors. Since then it's become some kind of super device that can do almost anything and is really the equivalent of waving a magic wand to get the Doctor out of what ever trouble he's currently in.

So it's really become a lazy writer's way of solving problems without having to think too much about them. In this case it's more of a forumite thing than a writerly one but I've seen plenty of people explaining away difficult questions by saying it's all down to the pheromones.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Error of Logic wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:37 pm
You underestimate voyeurs' ability to be aroused by the mundane.
Quite. I didn’t cover this specifically with the friend I mentioned but I get the impression that, in this setting, taking a “sexy” shower would be a good way to get boo’d off stage.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

@lordoffiling, thank you kindly for researching the matter and bringing us some much-needed solid information. We really appreciate it.

There's a number of trolls who were whining and bitching about the shower scene who will have to swallow their dumb words now. :p

lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:59 am
I noticed that too. Everybody in this club is very heavily stereotypical. (Side note: Anybody have *any* idea what Ginger’s accent is supposed to be? I can’t pin it down.)

Again I would point out that Dave doesn’t do this, this is the first example we’ve seen in literally thousands of Pixie Trix strips where he’s leaned on borderline-offensive stereotypes, so there’s probably some purpose behind it.

IINM it's a wink to Stripperella.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

dmra

Post by dmra »

It's not a new point but you do realise that the definition of "troll" isn't "somebody who disagrees with me or says things I don't like" don't you?

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

@dmra - Doubtful. Or they do know what the term means, and love using the term incorrectly because they hope to annoy others by doing so (effectively making themselves the real trolls - and unsuccessful ones at that).

Either way; it's better to ignore them when they start throwing that word around.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

I agree with @dmra and @Fluffy. It's better to use the correct definition:

"Someone who comes to the forum to tell us how horrible and offensive the story is, how the author should be ashamed for writing it and how we all should be embarrassed for liking it."

oh, wait... B-)