Dangerously Chloe 29-03-18 Nice Accessories

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

LegendaryKroc

Re: Dangerously Chloe 29-03-18 Nice Accessories

Post by LegendaryKroc »

So all of this was an extended skit on Stripperella? Well not for nothing but it seems to have missed the mark if it took us this long to realise this was a thing.

Also, if we were going to revisit this plot point, shouldn't there have been more of a point to it than this?
brasca wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:47 pm
dmra wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:48 pm
@FluffyThe problem is that if you don't challenge the use of terms like "trolls" or "haters" for people who criticise the comic then it can become an accepted view. Look at some of the comments about the DC forum on the MA3 one where a lot of people already seem to think that the atmosphere here is really toxic.

So every now and again I like to point out how wrong the labels are just to try to stop the atmosphere here getting any worse than it already has.

@FGF putting words into people's mouths is quite a classic troll trick. For example could you please quote a single post where anybody has said the "author should be ashamed".
Agreed and I found myself arguing about Teddi's moral responsibility around this time last year when she was secreting pheromones, but it became a tiresome effort and I'm just too busy so I just block members nowd.
I wouldn't if I were you. Even had having my share of disagreements and people I don't like interacting with (again, not naming names), I've never blocked or ignored anyone. Not even once. People change and opinions change. That one person I vehemently disagree with on one issue in one strip may be just a neutral or even friendly forum neighbour under different circumstances. Letting momentary feelings of anger or frustration get in the way of that just seems like a waste.

dmra

Post by dmra »

@Brasca and LegendaryKroc

I tend not to want to block people mainly on practical grounds because it can make it difficult to follow discussions when you can't see what it being said. And also because it does't tend to bother me what people say on forums and the like.

I've been in far more hostile online environments that this one. Ones where I've been called horrendous things and had horrible accusations made about my character and morals. But big deal if a total stranger says bad things about me. As I see it if somebody has to resort to insulting me that's because they've run out of arguments and they just can't bring themselves to admit it. I'm happy I'm right and I'm willing to let anybody still reading make up their own mind.

Oh and since the link with Stripperella seems to rely on one character from the program being represented by two different people in the comic I'd wait a while myself before taking it as canon.
Last edited by dmra on Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Fluffy wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:46 pm
People also still need to learn the definition of constructive criticism and that all forms of creativity are subjected to it (i.e. - not everyone is going to love something someone creates; and that's okay).
Creators usually welcome criticism too. Usually what they dread is indifference.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:42 pm
"Someone who comes to the forum to tell us how horrible and offensive the story is, how the author should be ashamed for writing it and how we all should be embarrassed for liking it."
Well done, my lady. That hits all the nails on the head good and proper.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Rosa wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:19 pm
I can't believe I didn't notice it before! It's been years since I watched Stripperella, but I should have realized! The looks and speech pattern of the bouncer were a dead giveaway, and then we got Gisele --> Ginger and Persie --> both Cocoa & the Chinese girl (a tip of the hat to the running joke that Persie changed ethnicity and accents all the time).

And the top stripper in the joint has secret identity issues, that's so perfect. :ymapplause:

Now we are only missing Catt (and Kevin, but who cares 'bout him, right?). Unless that chick who overdosed was Catt? after all she was supposed to be the 'Bad Girl' in the cast. But if that's not it, then I predict Chloe will soon meet a rival stripper who's out to get Candy Rocks. Be afraid, be very afraid!
Let's not be hasty to assume the worst. Perhaps she will meet Armando, The Greatest Lover In The World! If any man can punch her V-card and survive, it's him. That would be one problem solved! :YMPEACE:
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

Vitocap wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:15 pm
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:42 pm
"Someone who comes to the forum to tell us how horrible and offensive the story is, how the author should be ashamed for writing it and how we all should be embarrassed for liking it."
Well done, my lady. That hits all the nails on the head good and proper.
huhu...
do you wanna know what I find pricelessly amusing?

I only gave a simple definition in my post... I never accused Fluffy and dmra of anything, or claimed those words applied to them... and yet they both reacted with a barrage of replies defending themselves... :)) :)) :))

I'm so proud of myself right now... I feel like the cool, dashing movie detective who, in the climactic scene, managed to trip up the guilty party... :ymparty:

Dragon Paladin

Post by Dragon Paladin »

Seriously, if the creators didn't want anyone criticizing their work, they would just ban anyone who said anything negative. People are allowed to have different opinions, and people are allowed to be a fan of an artist and their works and still not like some of the things they produce. I'm also personally not happy with the durection this comic is taking, but i continue to read hoping it gets better . But that's just my opinion. If you like the current plotlines, great! That's your right. What isn't your right is to call people who disagree with you "trolls", or claim that they're ignorant for their opinions. You can debate in a friendly manner. You might learn their point of view, you might teach them your point of view, or you might agree to disagree, but calling the other side names only makes you come across as childish, and saying that people who are critical are not true fans and should not be allowed to speak their minds doesn't help your case.

otaku247

Post by otaku247 »

Vitocap wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:16 pm
Rosa wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:19 pm
I can't believe I didn't notice it before! It's been years since I watched Stripperella, but I should have realized! The looks and speech pattern of the bouncer were a dead giveaway, and then we got Gisele --> Ginger and Persie --> both Cocoa & the Chinese girl (a tip of the hat to the running joke that Persie changed ethnicity and accents all the time).

And the top stripper in the joint has secret identity issues, that's so perfect. :ymapplause:

Now we are only missing Catt (and Kevin, but who cares 'bout him, right?). Unless that chick who overdosed was Catt? after all she was supposed to be the 'Bad Girl' in the cast. But if that's not it, then I predict Chloe will soon meet a rival stripper who's out to get Candy Rocks. Be afraid, be very afraid!
Let's not be hasty to assume the worst. Perhaps she will meet Armando, The Greatest Lover In The World! If any man can punch her V-card and survive, it's him. That would be one problem solved! :YMPEACE:
Kudos for spotting this and hopefully dousing the arguments over lazy writing and racist dialogue. I always tend to give the team the benefit of the doubt when an arc isn't exactly compelling me to mash the F5 button in anticipation on update day, but It's nice to know there was something in the background steering things in this way and even though I'm not familiar with Stripperella I can appreciate the effort in sticking with it to hope that someone in the readership would spot the (i assume) homage. Well done :-bd

For those who do know it, is it worth looking up to appreciate any further in-jokes?

MacLir

Post by MacLir »

I, for one, enjoyed the irony in her saying "It's not like you can become [a stripper] by accident." when that is exactly what she is doing. :ymdevil:

Derfman

Post by Derfman »

dmra wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:19 pm
And as for it only being a comic did you ever complain to friends about a film? Why? It's only a film! If you don't like it just get up and leave. Don't like what's on TV then just turn over .It's only a TV show! Ever got involved in watching sports and got upset if your team plays badly? Why? It's only sport.
If this comic was heavy on social commentary then I would not have even given my two cents. My issue with the complainers was that they were complaining about things that are not relevant to this comic. It is the equivalent of someone complaining about a Three Stooges short and saying that it promotes violence. BTW I rarely complain about a movie, I always try to find the good in most artistic efforts.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Except that the comic has been running for years with out certain stereotypes and suddenly the comic is awash with them. We've seen the strip club now quite a few times in various comic arcs. It started when Teddi was introduced to the business by a girl working there to put herself through college. Then Alchemy appeared and Lance and Pandora turned up and so on.

Not a single character there before now was shown speaking with any kind of accent. So to use your own example it's a bit like the Three Stooges appearing three quarters of the way through a romantic comedy. It might be funny but for some people it's going to be really jarring.

And it also doesn't help when people can't even be sure what accent some of the characters are supposed to have. Ginger may be meant to be Irish but her speech sounds nothing like any Irish person I've ever met.

sparky

Post by sparky »

lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:59 am
I noticed that too. Everybody in this club is very heavily stereotypical. (Side note: Anybody have *any* idea what Ginger’s accent is supposed to be? I can’t pin it down.)
I'd be very surprised if that isn't supposed to be a Newfoundland accent.

brasca

Post by brasca »

LegendaryKroc wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:25 pm
So all of this was an extended skit on Stripperella? Well not for nothing but it seems to have missed the mark if it took us this long to realise this was a thing.

Also, if we were going to revisit this plot point, shouldn't there have been more of a point to it than this?
brasca wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:47 pm
dmra wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:48 pm
@FluffyThe problem is that if you don't challenge the use of terms like "trolls" or "haters" for people who criticise the comic then it can become an accepted view. Look at some of the comments about the DC forum on the MA3 one where a lot of people already seem to think that the atmosphere here is really toxic.

So every now and again I like to point out how wrong the labels are just to try to stop the atmosphere here getting any worse than it already has.

@FGF putting words into people's mouths is quite a classic troll trick. For example could you please quote a single post where anybody has said the "author should be ashamed".
Agreed and I found myself arguing about Teddi's moral responsibility around this time last year when she was secreting pheromones, but it became a tiresome effort and I'm just too busy so I just block members nowd.
I wouldn't if I were you. Even had having my share of disagreements and people I don't like interacting with (again, not naming names), I've never blocked or ignored anyone. Not even once. People change and opinions change. That one person I vehemently disagree with on one issue in one strip may be just a neutral or even friendly forum neighbour under different circumstances. Letting momentary feelings of anger or frustration get in the way of that just seems like a waste.
There was a time when I preferred not to, but things got really heated in the aforementioned arc and I considered it a waste of energy to constantly look up the previous comics and refute every point with people who never bother to listen so I started blocking people for the sake of my own sanity.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:21 pm

I'm so proud of myself right now... I feel like the cool, dashing movie detective who, in the climactic scene, managed to trip up the guilty party... :ymparty:

And there was me thinking that the purpose of the forum was for people to debate the comic. To say what they like or don't like about it and to maybe find out what other people think and why.

When all along it was about people making themselves feel good by playing silly games.

Given the banner at the bottom of your posts you might find it worthwhile to read the Vyndicator arc in Menage a 3 and see what Giz and Dave think about internet trolls. http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/I_can_not_wait

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

dmra wrote:
Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:23 am
Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:21 pm

And there was me thinking that the purpose of the forum was for people to debate the comic. To say what they like or don't like about it and to maybe find out what other people think and why.

When all along it was about people making themselves feel good by playing silly games.

Given the banner at the bottom of your posts you might find it worthwhile to read the Vyndicator arc in Menage a 3 and see what Giz and Dave think about internet trolls. http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/I_can_not_wait
Incidentally, that banner looks like it got hit with the JPEG stick a few times, and then the transparency goblin came and painted see-through splotches all over the left side. That, or whoever made it (filename says it's Prussian?) doesn't know how to save something as a transparent PNG.

Anyway, this is another arc full of baffling choices and slightly wonky art, but with extra stereotype sprinkles.
**== **== **== **==