Dangerously Chloe 26-03-18 Hello MIzz Candy

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

lordoffiling

Re: Dangerously Chloe 26-03-18 Hello MIzz Candy

Post by lordoffiling »

I think Chloe’s actions here run deeper than just wanting to get out of the rain and/or make some cash. If that’s all she wanted, she’s only ever one teleportation spell away from being somewhere warm and dry, and she doesn’t really need money for anything.

The look on her face says to me, “Girl with a plan.”
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

I don't know but, there may be a high employee turnover rate there, so the doorman may not be as oblivious as he seemed at first. :-?
(I live in New England, and I've heard people say "youse" and "MIzz" is how I pronounce "Ms.")

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

High turnover rate... Lots of women who make the sum they need and then swear never to come back, or women who fall out of favour with the crowd due to aging or becoming too familiar to excite anymore?

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Don't forget those few who offer more than just a lap dance in the champagne rooms.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Gary-in-phx

Post by Gary-in-phx »

bridgetvoid wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:34 pm
cause he's black and this comic is lazy now. also to the person who called me, a troll, no i'm legit annoyed that a human person of color shows up and seems to be talking like they learned english from watching gone with the wind or song of the south. it doesn't make sense, literally no one talks like that in montreal or anywhere else.
I'm from the South, and people of all color do talk in a dialect like that. How else does one write out phonetically the pronunciation intended? Relax. Take a breath. Try not to let everything piss you off, you'll be happier that way.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

The thing is, though, everyone pronounces Ms. "mizz," but the only time it's written out as such is as shorthand for "this character is uneducated." And a common honorific with a given name (well, pseudonym - pseudognomonym?) feels uncomfortably servile.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

So we go with author intent.

Hands up if you think Dave is a racist.

Anyone who has been following these comics for any length of time knows how unlikely that is.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

... Why would you even go there?

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

... Because trolls have been accusing him of racial offense for 4 pages already?

(just a humble guess, of course)

Valkog

Post by Valkog »

You know, not everyone who says something you don't want to read is a troll.
**== **== **== **==

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

My point is, do you think the intent of the author is to paint the doorman’s ethnicity in a bad light? Or do you think the ethnicity of the doorman was, in the authors mind, irrelevant to the character?

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I really wish you had put it that way in the first place. The chatter about racism was unpleasant enough without a question that potentially could have caused this thread to erupt in another ugly screaming match.

That said, I want to give Dave01 the benefit of the doubt and say I think the bouncer's ethnicity was probably not relevant to him.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Across the whole Pixie Trix world there are currently a number of much more important characters like Cammi, Tracy and others whose presentation isn't remotely controversial.

I still find it a bit odd that somebody who people have suggested has an accent that could be American Deep South, Brooklyn, Italian American or "bouncer" has wound up in Canada when I can't remember any other character (except Gabrielle) "speaking" with an obvious accent but it would be an improbably big jump from that to start throwing around accusations.

otaku247

Post by otaku247 »

dmra wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:18 pm
Across the whole Pixie Trix world there are currently a number of much more important characters like Cammi, Tracy and others whose presentation isn't remotely controversial.

I still find it a bit odd that somebody who people have suggested has an accent that could be American Deep South, Brooklyn, Italian American or "bouncer" has wound up in Canada when I can't remember any other character (except Gabrielle) "speaking" with an obvious accent but it would be an improbably big jump from that to start throwing around accusations.
I'm just gonna put out there DiDi and Yuki for the speaking with an accent trope - although with Yuki its kinda Anglicised-Nippon... "Wakarimasen" ;)

dmra

Post by dmra »

For the accent I was talking about DC only because not everybody reads all the comics.

Speaking of Didi I'm going to have to check if Dio in EC had an accent. I don't remember off hand but since he was actually from France it would be a bit strange if he didn't but Didi who is French Canadian does.

Edit: Dio may speak fancy but doesn't have any discernible accent despite coming from Marseilles.
Last edited by dmra on Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.