Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Post Reply
User avatar
Dragon Paladin
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:43 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Dragon Paladin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:23 am

DarkAsh wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:12 am
Dragon Paladin wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:31 am
I don't know about Canada, but in the US, i'm pretty sure underage cartoons or fictional characters don't count as child pornography, although it might vary from state to state.
Welcome, Dragon Paladin.
Thanks :)
I am Suleviir, Paladin of Iomede, Goddess of Valor. Those who do evil shall fear my blade.

User avatar
Dragon Paladin
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:43 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Dragon Paladin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:37 am

Given Lance's long periods away, it wouldn't surprise me if he just accepted that his daughter had a growth spurt while he was gone.
I am Suleviir, Paladin of Iomede, Goddess of Valor. Those who do evil shall fear my blade.

User avatar
Vitocap
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 5:02 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Vitocap » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:16 pm

Gotoh wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:08 pm
dmra wrote:Or Adora could just be a victim of the 99% of responsible adults are on permanent vacation part of the comic's logic.
This too, 'cuz nearly all of them seem to be in EC and MC. The closest DC might've had was Lance, until he got turned into a thrall.
Well, of course adults are nowhere around. Duh. It's the long, time-honored tradition of Japanese manga: have the parents of the teen protagonist be traveling, or divorced and remarried, or working overseas, or whatever excuse you can come up with to get them as far from the house as possible. The fans want to read about the cool adventures of the main characters; they don't give a damn about the dumb, stuffy, dopey adults -- and the last thing the authors want is waste valuable comic time in pointless bickerings between the youthful MCs and their parental figures. That would be more boring than watching paint dry. (-|

otaku247 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:32 am
either way I'm here for the duration. Also +1 Jason on the composition these last few strips, excellent art.
Seconded. Beautiful art, Jason! Good job! :-bd
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Gotoh
Posts: 3971
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Gotoh » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:49 pm

Vitocap wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:16 pm
Well, of course adults are nowhere around. Duh. It's the long, time-honored tradition of Japanese manga:
I already said that. If you're going to try to be snide, at least read far enough back in the discussion so your response doesn't repeat what was already stated.
Vitocap wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:16 pm
The fans want to read about the cool adventures of the main characters; they don't give a damn about the dumb, stuffy, dopey adults.
Speak for yourself.

There are many stories where the younger main characters can benefit from the advice of their parents, teachers, etc. and still remain interesting. EC is proof enough, so is 'Spinnerette' which has two teen heroines (including the protagonist herself) being mentored by a responsible adult hero (and an adult anti-villain). Keeping things interesting depends on the skill of the writer.

dmra
Posts: 655
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by dmra » Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:04 pm

And it's not as though parents don't appear in a lot of manga where children live alone. Usually in an arc where they visit to either give advice or more humorously to cause the protagonists grief. And often in the manga/anime I've read or seen there's an adult who acts as a parent substitute normally a friendly teacher or a neighbour.

So Lance flying in wasn't exactly unexpected or out of the conventions but let's not let facts get in the way of trying to score cheap points.

Gotoh
Posts: 3971
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Gotoh » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:00 pm

dmra: Exactly. In fact, some of my favorite anime series feature teens being aided by responsible adults, including: 'El-Hazard: The Magnificent World', 'Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water', and 'Summer Wars'.

User avatar
Dragon Paladin
Posts: 103
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:43 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Dragon Paladin » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:28 pm

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:00 pm
dmra: Exactly. In fact, some of my favorite anime series feature teens being aided by responsible adults, including: 'El-Hazard: The Magnificent World', 'Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water', and 'Summer Wars'.
Also Ouran Highschool Host Club, where, in my opinion, some of the parents are just as interesting as the main cast.
I am Suleviir, Paladin of Iomede, Goddess of Valor. Those who do evil shall fear my blade.

User avatar
Error of Logic
Posts: 5692
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Error of Logic » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:16 pm

Haruhi's dad, certainly. ^_^

Zafnak
Posts: 189
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:22 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Zafnak » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:28 pm

I figured I'd see posts griping about how Abby still can't fit into her swimsuit top all the way. Is this an example of "Australian Cleavage"?

User avatar
Vitocap
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 5:02 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Vitocap » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 pm

Hoo boy. Looks like I triggered an explosion of personal hate. Go me.

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:49 pm
Vitocap wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:16 pm
Well, of course adults are nowhere around. Duh. It's the long, time-honored tradition of Japanese manga:
I already said that. If you're going to try to be snide, at least read far enough back in the discussion so your response doesn't repeat what was already stated.
From my point of view, dear, it seemed like you needed a stark reminder. B-)

And there's no need for gratuitous name-calling. Try to keep it polite.

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:49 pm
Vitocap wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:16 pm
The fans want to read about the cool adventures of the main characters; they don't give a damn about the dumb, stuffy, dopey adults.
Speak for yourself.

There are many stories where the younger main characters can benefit from the advice of their parents, teachers, etc. and still remain interesting.
I speak for pretty much every manga/anime fan out there.

There are many, many genres in manga and anime. What we're talking about here is a subgenre of shounen stories where the male teen hero suddenly becomes able to do things no normal teenager can do -- or would be allowed by his parents to do. Like, say, acquire superpowers, learn forbidden ninja skills, travel to other worlds, summon demons, fight in deadly martial arts tournaments, bring a harem of buxom beauties to live with him. The point of reading this sort of stories is to identify with the main hero and share vicariously his exciting experiences. The presence of nagging, bossy adults in such a setting would be insufferable -- that's why, as a general rule, either they aren't there or they appear as opponents.

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:49 pm
EC is proof enough, so is 'Spinnerette' which has two teen heroines (including the protagonist herself) being mentored by a responsible adult hero (and an adult anti-villain). Keeping things interesting depends on the skill of the writer.
Parents in EC appeared in about 5% of the strips. They were there for the fun and jokes. They never played an important role in the resolution of any of the climactic crises.

Spinnerette has two college students as heroines. There are no teens in the comic. And, frankly, the story is crapola -- a contrived collage of politically correct clichés with little or no entertainment value.

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:00 pm
dmra: Exactly. In fact, some of my favorite anime series feature teens being aided by responsible adults, including: 'El-Hazard: The Magnificent World', 'Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water', and 'Summer Wars'.
Those are really bad examples. Miyazaki anime is Disney-style anime, with all the tropes of Western literature. Summer Wars was made for export in a deal with Warner. El Hazard was dumb and tedious, and never was a big hit.

dmra wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:04 pm
And it's not as though parents don't appear in a lot of manga where children live alone. Usually in an arc where they visit to either give advice or more humorously to cause the protagonists grief. And often in the manga/anime I've read or seen there's an adult who acts as a parent substitute normally a friendly teacher or a neighbour.

So Lance flying in wasn't exactly unexpected or out of the conventions but let's not let facts get in the way of trying to score cheap points.
Such hostility. Such aggressivity. I take it you still haven't regained your cool after FGF taught you a lesson about child sexuality?

Your post is a mess, but I'll try to reply anyway. First of all, what's this about Lance? When did I say anything about Lance? Can you point us to any post of mine with the word 'Lance' in it? Standing up a straw man and then attacking it isn't proper debate etiquette, you know. What I did say was that teens living by themselves while the parents live elsewhere is a common Japanese manga trope -- and guess what? that's exactly what Lance does: live elsewhere, letting Teddy and Abby take care of themselves. As for visiting (another subject I didn't say anything about), why, yes, it does happen -- coming as a total surprise, resulting in funny hijinks, annoying the kids to no end, and making everyone happy and relieved when it's over... because the story can't continue its normal course until the adult departs. And, again, guess what? this is exactly how Lance's visit goes. The classic pattern of the trope: Lance didn't realize what was going on, didn't help solve anything, and left as oblivious as he had come. And now that his useless ass is gone, Teddy & company can return to life as usual and take care of their own problems -- all by themselves, for good or for bad, just the way they like it. So what cheap points are you talking about?
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

User avatar
Vitocap
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 5:02 am

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Vitocap » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:47 pm

Dragon Paladin wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:28 pm
Also Ouran Highschool Host Club, where, in my opinion, some of the parents are just as interesting as the main cast.
Ah, Ouran High School Host Club. I have fond memories of that manga. :YMDAYDREAM:

But that's a shoujo manga, you know. It was serialized in LaLa magazine. The manga series and stories we're talking about right now are the sort of manga that inspired DC -- that is, shounen manga, supernatural romcom shounen manga to be precise.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

dmra
Posts: 655
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by dmra » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:24 am

Vitocap wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 pm

Your post is a mess, but I'll try to reply anyway.
How kind of you to reply to my mess of a post. I'd be grateful for your efforts if only you hadn't misread it.

"First of all, what's this about Lance? When did I say anything about Lance?"

You were saying that DC was in a genre where parents didn't appear because it would be boring for both the readers and the creators. I pointed out that this wasn't actually true and quite often parents did appear, if only occasionally. I mentioned Lance appearing in DC because that was an example of that.

An appearance that you seemed not to have noticed because you said parents never showed up because it would be boring and the artists wouldn't want to show it.

For the rest of your post you may not have noticed but actually we're not a mile apart in our views . Speaking for myself I'm not in the least bit upset by the absence of effective authority figures in DC. I've already made the point in another thread that the story wouldn't work if they were there. A similar thing happened in Magick Chicks where the people who run Artemis Academy are probably the most incompetent, clueless and careless monster hunters in the history of fiction.

I do enjoy pointing out some of the absurdities that come from that lack of authority figures – like Teddy's school doing nothing about his leaving as a boy and arriving a day or so later as a girl – but in a comic featuring succubi, angels and a gender fluid personification of Death I'm not exactly expecting reality to be a big feature.

Gotoh
Posts: 3971
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Gotoh » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:50 am

Vitocap wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:36 pm
there's no need for gratuitous name-calling. Try to keep it polite.
I never called you any names, so I'm not sure what you're on about. My post was civil.
Vitocap wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 1974 1:50 am
What we're talking about here is a subgenre of shounen stories where the male teen hero suddenly becomes able to do things no normal teenager can do
So now you're moving goalposts to suit your argument. In that case, there are exceptions even among shounen works that still feature adult characters supervising teenagers with powers, ninja, tournaments, ancient spirits, and the like. Off the top of my head, I can name: 'Bleach', 'Naruto', and more recently, 'Maken-ki!'.
Vitocap wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 1974 1:50 am
Parents in EC appeared in about 5% of the strips. They were there for the fun and jokes. They never played an important role in the resolution of any of the climactic crises.
Recap:
  • Who was it that told Layla what was controlling Chloe? 'cuz without that bit of information, Layla wouldn't have known how to resolve the issue.
  • Who figured out a way to turn Kade back to a boy? Because it wasn't Doompantied Chloe, though she "borrowed" the idea for her own plans.
  • Also, who helped Nina save her sister's persona from being overwritten by Quintessa? Bearing in mind, that Tia is ancient.
Vitocap wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 1974 1:50 am
Spinnerette has two college students as heroines.
Heather and Marolyn are both in their late teens. So, they're still teenagers.
Vitocap wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 1974 1:50 am
Those are really bad examples. Miyazaki anime is Disney-style anime, with all the tropes of Western literature. Summer Wars was made for export in a deal with Warner. El Hazard was dumb and tedious, and never was a big hit.
'Secret of Blue Water' was produced by Studio Gainax, not Ghibli. Miyazaki's only involvement was with the inital art for the series. As for the higlighted portion, most anime is made for export, so nothing you said there refutes my point.

Gotoh
Posts: 3971
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Gotoh » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:06 am

dmra wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:24 am
A similar thing happened in Magick Chicks where the people who run Artemis Academy are probably the most incompetent, clueless and careless monster hunters in the history of fiction.
Sad, in that it hurts to admit it, but true. :-??

I couldn't help wondering about the faculty myself, at times.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:36 am

Gotoh wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:50 am
'Secret of Blue Water' was produced by Studio Gainax, not Ghibli. Miyazaki's only involvement was with the inital art for the series. As for the higlighted portion, most anime is made for export, so nothing you said there refutes my point.
lol lol
of course it was Miyazaki, everyone knows that...
I mean, really, adapting & interweaving several Jules Verne novels into one compressed unified storyline for a 30+ eps tv anime, who did you think do that work? Hideaki Anno? =)) oh man, like, if you thought that, you for realz don't know much about Anno or anime....
Anno & TAC just were hired to work on the Miyazaki project NHK handed down to them...

and this: "most anime is made for export" 8-| 8-| 8-| :-j
suuure... for export... you totally utterly lost it there... 95% anime is made for the local market and never exported.... and that in a year big on exports... :))



Image

Post Reply