Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Gotoh

Re: Dangerously Chloe 22-03-18 Where Chloe Went

Post by Gotoh »

@Error of Logic: Agreed, especially about that last part, 'cuz I was like: 'can you blame 'em?'

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I wouldn't have blamed them if they'd upped stakes and moved while she was gone. Or filled up a super-soaker and some balloons with holy water and given her what-for when she tried to reenter their house.

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

Vitocap wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:56 pm
It appears indeed that all the strips of Vampire Cheerleaders have been removed from the online archive.

So have all the online strips of Amazing Agent Luna / Amazing Agent Jennifer, as far as I can tell.

I take it it's a Zoom Comics editorial decision, and now the only way of reading their series is to get the paper versions?
we-e-ell, actually...

https://archive.org/stream/manga_Vampir ... 0/mode/2up

Enjoy! :-bd

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:50 pm
Vitocap wrote:
It appears indeed that all the strips of Vampire Cheerleaders have been removed from the online archive.

So have all the online strips of Amazing Agent Luna / Amazing Agent Jennifer, as far as I can tell.

I take it it's a Zoom Comics editorial decision, and now the only way of reading their series is to get the paper versions?
we-e-ell, actually...

Thanks, FGF and tau neutrino. I'll give it a read once I'm through with my re-read of all the Pixie Trix Comix publications.

tau neutrino

Post by tau neutrino »

Error of Logic wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:43 pm
And in spite of this, people were convinced they must be emotionally abusive because they were angry first when she broke curfew, and later when they had been freed from the vampire hypnosis and wanted to ban Heather from their home and family for having bled and bred them like cattle.
It wasn't even banning her. They wanted to ground her. Would I be a bad person if I hoped Heather and the others got some karmic payback at Bianca's hands?

tau neutrino

Post by tau neutrino »

Gotoh wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:15 pm
tau neutrino wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:14 am
Both use grounding as punishment, and the mother is the one who takes the lead in disciplining. Both mothers demand their children be polite to others (that was Heather's main complaint)
That's a pretty broad comparison, since the same can be said of most parents. But I wouldn't use that to say they're alike, particularly the "parent, not a pal" part, because Maria was both.

She disciplined Layla only when it was necessary (two times). Otherwise, she was supportive of her, even after Layla regained her memories as Quintessa, and also tried to bond with her. The most important difference being, Layla's parents weren't being mind controlled by their daughter, so we were allowed to see how they actually were.

Whereas with Heather's parents, we saw how she made them act towards her (including: forcing them to have another child, supply her with spending money, etc.). Which accounted for 3 of their 4 brief appearances in the comic. Point being, we didn't see her parents often enough to determine what they were really like.
The dragging off is pretty specific. Maria is still being a parent. She considers being supportive a part of that role. She didn't mind making Layla Dio's fiance without her consent when she thought she was straight, and still wanted them to marry when the lesbian misunderstanding was cleared up. Disciplining when necessary is what being a parent and not a pal is about. The parent isn't an abusive tyrant, but is in charge.

As for the Hartley's we do know that the worst complaint Heather had was that her mother wanted her to be "Little Miss Perfect" and be polite. They allowed her to do gymnastics and cheerleading, which requires a lot of parental support. (Presumably they paid for her cheerleading camp.) They let her get her driver's license at 16 and join the A squad despite her mother's misgivings.

Rosa
BANNED

Post by Rosa »

DarkAsh wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:06 am
Are you picking up the reprints from Fantagraphics?
I have the softcovers from Another Rainbow. A close relative collected them all and then, 10 years ago, gifted them to me, lucky me. :) I heard the Fantagraphics reprints are really good, tho. But they are being a bit slow in releasing them, no?

Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:43 am
1) every year, thousands of new manga are created in hundreds of magazines
2) every year, four times a year, about a hundred new tv anime series start airing
3) about 95% of those don't reach the West, they are just for the local market
4) that's why we, the ENORMOUS community of dedicated fans who live in the West, work hard at translating all these manga & anime who never get officially released... producing scanlations and fansubs... the 2 websites I mentioned before contain huge lists of all the manga & anime that never reached the West and therefore are being translated by fans, and, as you can see if you visit those sites, the number of titles is many many MANY times more than what you can find through official releasers. Visit those 2 sites here:
Manga scanlating: https://www.mangaupdates.com/releases.html
Anime fansubbing: https://www.tokyotosho.info/index.php
OK I checked those links you provided. Color me with a blown mind now. WHOA!

I went to the anime section of https://www.tokyotosho.info/index.php and I couldn't believe how many anime series are being fansubbed and released, episode by episode, by translating teams who work for the love of it. I didn't check one by one, but by the looks I think every single anime show that is aired right now is probably being released by them, with subs, on practically the same time schedule. You gotta give them thumbs up!
But it was even more impressive going to https://www.mangaupdates.com/releases.html and finding about the sheer size of the current manga scanlating scene. It's like hundreds of new chapter releases every day... and, when I looked at the alphabetic catalogue, all the titles that have been translated by fans over the years, OMG, that was unbelievable! Literally tens of thousands of titles! I don't know what's more mind-blowing, that so many new manga are being published all the time in Japan - or that teams of fans in the West keep translating them in such sheer number.
No wonder you said releases by official publishers were only a minuscule part of the whole thing!

Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:43 am
And that's it, everyone: I offered you the truth, and now you know how deep the rabbit hole goes... :YMPEACE: I'm sure Gotoh is gonna write some reply, quoting flawed sources & talking out of his ass, so just remember this: he isn't an anime fan, isn't a member of the active community, is clueless about Japan & manga & anime, and whatever he says comes from random googling, not from knowledge and direct experience of the facts...
Actually, he never replied. :p

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:31 am
lemme give you an example: look at this pic, you may recognize the character:

I totally recognize her. *smile*
She's still as cute and adorbz as she was the 1st time I saw her, 20 years ago. :x

Notice the fair skin, the blonde hair, the blue eyes?

To those guys, this is a pure Aryan girl that Hitler would approve of!
:-o

To me, whoever thinks that is a sicko whose brain has rotten inside his skull...
And that's putting it as mildly as possible. Fucking racist morons. X(

a close collaborator of Professor Rachel "Matt" Thorn (who is today the greatest West-born expert in manga) made a video, once, on this subject... he claimed it was embarrassing to watch all those guys who should know better (journalists, college graduates) making fools of themselves by repeating that bs about anime people being Caucasian... he made the video to set them straight & make them understand the aesthetic criteria of Japanese animation... someone uploaded the video to Youtube, so if you wanna watch it here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r7NtqjdggI
I know who Matt Thorn is, of course!
I had no idea he(she) had come out as transgender and was now calling him(her)self Rachel. Last news I read, Matt had moved to Japan and was working there. I hadn't heard anything about his(her) coming out. (But well, Matt's not a showbiz celeb, so it's not like this is front page caliber news...)

But that video is *amazing*. You can tell the author is an anthropologist! What a difference between scientific work and the random drivel that people spout ot tv or social networks or sometimes (as one chick in the video) academic papers. This author's analysis of the question of race in anime is *rock solid*. They should show it in conventions to correct the silly misperceptions of those whitey egotists out there!
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

DarkAsh wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:30 pm
Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:50 pm
Vitocap wrote:

we-e-ell, actually...

Thanks, FGF and tau neutrino. I'll give it a read once I'm through with my re-read of all the Pixie Trix Comix publications.
+1
Thanks for pointing us in the right direction. Definitely going to read that -- and find out what all the fuss is about. B-)
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

DarkAsh

Post by DarkAsh »

Rosa wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:46 pm
DarkAsh wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:06 am
Are you picking up the reprints from Fantagraphics?
I have the softcovers from Another Rainbow. A close relative collected them all and then, 10 years ago, gifted them to me, lucky me. :) I heard the Fantagraphics reprints are really good, tho. But they are being a bit slow in releasing them, no?
Wow that was a very nice of them. Yes, they are definitely being released slow at two books a year which means the whole project should take about 15 years, and they're not in released in chronological order.

I've been picking them up, but would have preferred the Another Rainbow prints for the coloring and page size. The Fantagraphics are colored nicely, but they are sticking to close to the colors from the original publication, which limits the color pallet, and can make a page appear flat.

Rosa
BANNED

Post by Rosa »

Oops, this wasn't the thread. Pay no attention. Edited. (Since I can't delete.)
"I assume that the creative team does read the boards and that, through
the troll swill, they can find a decent thought-provoking post from time
to time. Other than money (of course), praise and intelligent discussion
concerning an artist's work has to be their life blood."

(by @worldshaking00)

─────────────────────────────────────────
http://image.ibb.co/jtqXqx/output.gif