Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

dmra
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by dmra » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:32 am

I said nobody at the school was much help. Let's not forget that it was Kade, and not one of the staff, who "cured" Ace and he did it completely unintentionally.

So getting back to my original point why would Chloe go to Charybdis for help when she knows that her current school teachers can solve the problem of Abby's transformation immediately?

Gotoh
Posts: 3965
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by Gotoh » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:53 am

dmra wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:32 am
I said nobody at the school was much help. Let's not forget that it was Kade, and not one of the staff, who "cured" Ace and he did it completely unintentionally.
Regardless, Twiggit was still the one who figured out how and why Ace had been cured. Which is how she deduced they could use Blair to undo Kade's transformation, and she wasn't wrong.
drma wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:32 am
So getting back to my original point why would Chloe go to Charybdis for help?
I'm not saying she should have. All I'm saying is, I disagree because she should at least remember that the faculty includes a science teacher with a genius level IQ. Especially since Chloe had help from her before.

But Adora still should've been her first choice, instead of taking Abby to Hell.

dmra
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by dmra » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:20 am

Adora might have been her first and most sensible choice but only if the writers of DC hadn't seemed to have decided to effectively write her out of the story. I can't recollect a single instance where she's been mentioned let alone appeared.

Even a genius level science teacher is unlikely to be able to reverse a magical DNA transfer caused by a transfusion of succusbus blood. Or at least not unless biology has changed an awful, lot since I was at school. And even if she could (and had the necessary equipment) it still would have taken time. Time Chloe doesn't have.

Of all the active characters in the DC world Ilsa is the only one who could have provided immediate help. And had she not wanted to teach Chloe a lesson about attachment it might even have worked albeit at a heavy price to Chloe.

User avatar
LegendaryKroc
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:22 am
Location: In the Hall of the Mountain King

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by LegendaryKroc » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:43 am

For the record, I accept Fluffy and lordoffling's explanations for that little tiff on pages 2 & 3. I state again the importance of making clear what you are saying because in a communication system that lacks access to voice, facial expressions and body language, all but the most obvious expressions can be very hard to read in terms of tone, sincerity and sarcasm.
dmra wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:20 am
Adora might have been her first and most sensible choice but only if the writers of DC hadn't seemed to have decided to effectively write her out of the story. I can't recollect a single instance where she's been mentioned let alone appeared.
Well, like I said, even without the lesson she wanted to teach her, this is a combination of all the things she did in previous showings: pranking someone who tried to get her to cooperate in some big thing, straightforward indulgence in sadism and using her powers to manipulate and screw with mortals. Chloe was personally present for two of them and it's not inconceivable for Teddy to have told her about the other one. She should really have known better.

As for why Adora isn't here? The same reason people in slasher movies don't usually call the cops: if qualified people saw the problem and dealt with it in a mature, responsible manner, the story would (by the standards of drama) be dull. That's what Alfred Hitchcock said, anyway. And I presume it's why Adora hasn't actively sought her daughter out, or even why the only parental figure in Teddy and Abby's lives is a seemingly uninvolved, distant figure who gets mindjacked by a succubus the moment he arrives onto the scene in the present. Let's face it, how many of the plot arcs in this comic would have lasted more than a handful of pages if a sensible, responsible adult was on hand to intervene?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

User avatar
Error of Logic
Posts: 5678
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by Error of Logic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:03 am

dmra wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:05 am
And for that matter would Teddi have been in a much better mood if he'd come home and found Abby still a 12 year old but one with wings, horns and a tail?
At the very least she would not have been as angry at Chloe if that had been all that happened; it would have been 60-70% Abby's fault, with the rest going to whoever was stupid enough to leave the demon blood in an unlocked fridge, and Alchemy for falling asleep in her bed.

You may not be wholly wrong about Chloe having few other avenues, but she still made a boneheaded choice in going to Slash-Stab, who is known to be viciously malicious and enjoys Teddy's suffering. There must be other demons she could have dealt with, maybe ones more eager to make a quick score by doing a deal and with no personal investment in making the DeCarlos suffer.

Maelphaxerazz
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:55 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by Maelphaxerazz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:59 am

Bravo on Teddy. He may have lost most of his morality and all of his common sense, but at least he has a spine. A good decision done in anger is still a good decision.

Is Teddy a hypocrite? Perhaps. However, a bad person does not get any points for keeping a threat to his life and family in his own house. Being a hypocrite is not as bad as being an idiot.

And Chloe is not innocent. When it looked like Teddy had a chance of actually getting a girlfriend and thus being free of the contract, Chloe sabotaged it. This is despite the fact that she knew she is a danger to Teddy's life.
Shortly after, she nearly let him get devoured by a succubus... because Chloe was jealous. And since her "virgin succubus disease" intensified, despite almost killing Theodore again, she has done nothing at all to end the threat.
One solution has already been suggested, which is go @#$% an angel, but she refuses to do so out of bigotry. She didn't even consider other options. Here's an example of a solution she could have tried but didn't: teleport into a death row prison, make festive streamers out of a soon-to-be-executed murderer, teleport back out again. There, took me four seconds to figure that out. Unfortunately, it does not look like she actually wants to solve the problem. Some posters say that Pandora is worse, but that does not hold water. Pandora saved Teddy's life, and now she is trying to save Chloe's life. Pandora is wicked, but Chloe is murderous.

It is like the trolley problem, but instead of there being fewer people on the other track, there is nobody. If the trolley is about to run someone over, and you have the opportunity to easily save them by redirecting the trolley onto an empty track, and you do nothing, you have murdered that person by inaction. But, since Chloe has actively prevented Teddy from breaking out of the contract, it is more like the trolley was already heading for an empty track, but Chloe pulled the lever to redirect it in Decarlo's direction. Any sympathy for Chloe's plight is misdirected. Chloe isn't merely stupid (though she is plenty of that). Chloe is evil.
LegendaryKroc wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:43 am
Let's face it, how many of the plot arcs in this comic would have lasted more than a handful of pages if a sensible, responsible adult was on hand to intervene?
Many of the plot arcs would have ended instantly even if a half-sensible, somewhat-responsible youth were to intervene. Like Teddy was, back when he didn't have Chloe's blood in him. The Idiot Ball has been the prime mover of this story for quite some time.

While diving the archive for the links to make this post, it struck me how much Teddy has changed. In Chapter 7, Teddy was skeptical and questioning. In chapter 11, he was sensible and reserved. In Chapter 12, Teddy was sharp and quick-witted. Then chapter 14 happened, he got injected with succubus blood and ectoplasm... and hasn't done a thing right ever since. Poor Teddy: he didn't just get Chloe's body, he seems to have gotten her brain as well. I liked the old Teddy Decarlo. He was a good protag, and is sorely missed.

dmra
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by dmra » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:22 am

Error of Logic wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:03 am
dmra wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:05 am
And for that matter would Teddi have been in a much better mood if he'd come home and found Abby still a 12 year old but one with wings, horns and a tail?
You may not be wholly wrong about Chloe having few other avenues, but she still made a boneheaded choice in going to Slash-Stab,
I'm not saying that Chloe's choice was a very smart one but sometimes all our choices are bad and we can only choose the least bad one and hope we get it right.

Looking at things from Chloe's perspective, taking into account only what we know she knows. Ilsa wasn't a good choice but she was one who could help Abby and help her right now. And if Abby had signed the first contract none of this drama would have happened.

The only other person we know Chloe knows, who might have been able to help straight away was Chloe's mother but she hasn't exactly been a presence in this comic. And if Adora suddenly appeared and set everything right then I can see a lot of people being extremely critical of the decision to use a maternal deus ex machina.

I've seen a lot of people say how stupid Chloe was but not many have put forward a better course of action for changing Abby back. Which given what we'd just seen with the monster hunters was a pretty high priority on top of which there was the need to sort it out before Teddi found out anything.

Gotoh
Posts: 3965
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by Gotoh » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:44 am

Maelphaxerazz wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:59 am
it struck me how much Teddy has changed. In Chapter 7, Teddy was skeptical and questioning. In chapter 11, he was sensible and reserved.
The comic's very first page debunks that because, judging from his inner monologue, it wasn't his first time pulling such a stunt.

To put that scene in perspective: he left his 12 year old sister at home unattended, while he broke into a museum just so he could look at a wind-up duck. Had it not been for sheer happenstance, he would've been caught and arrested for unlawful entry and Abby would likely have wound up being taken by child services.

"Sensible" would be someone like Ace, Brooke, Layla, or Faith.

User avatar
Fluffy
Posts: 3363
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by Fluffy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:29 am

dmra wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:22 am
And if Abby had signed the first contract none of this drama would have happened.
Um, actually - it would have; just to a lesser degree - as Abby would have Chloe's chest; which probably wouldn't have sat well with Teddy, given that she's 12.
Maelphaxerazz wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:59 am
Bravo on Teddy. He may have lost most of his morality and all of his common sense, but at least he has a spine. A good decision done in anger is still a good decision.
In what universe? Rash decisions made in a moment of blind anger don't usually pan out well at all.
Is Teddy a hypocrite? Perhaps. However, a bad person does not get any points for keeping a threat to his life and family in his own house. Being a hypocrite is not as bad as being an idiot.
And Chloe has persistently proven since day one that she is a threat to his life and family (given every attempt at helping Teddy resulted in a disaster). And kicking her out does nothing to resolve Pandora's presence there; as she's even worse than Chloe - due to all her actions that make Teddy's life a living Hell are deliberate on her part.

So - by your definition - Teddy is a raging idiot for putting up with Chloe for that long; and continuing to allow Pandora to live under his roof.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

User avatar
FuzzyFace
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:39 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by FuzzyFace » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:44 am
The comic's very first page debunks that because, judging from his inner monologue, it wasn't his first time pulling such a stunt.
Based on what? "Stepped in it this time?" People say things like that all the time without meaning, "It worked the first dozen times I tried it!"

dmra
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by dmra » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:57 pm

Fluffy wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:29 am
dmra wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:22 am
And if Abby had signed the first contract none of this drama would have happened.
Um, actually - it would have; just to a lesser degree - as Abby would have Chloe's chest; which probably wouldn't have sat well with Teddy, given that she's 12.
What I meant was that while Teddi was unlikely to have been happy about it I think he would also have been unlikely to have kicked Chloe out of the house.

There is a difference between a 12 year old having boobs (even ones the size of Chloe's) and a 12 year old being in the full blown body of an adult succubus.

And again the alternative to both of those was to have Abby in a half way state where she could be seen walking around town with wings, a horn and a tail.

User avatar
Error of Logic
Posts: 5678
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by Error of Logic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:20 pm

Baggy clothes, a hat, and giving Abigail a very stern talking to might at least have kept those under cover until a more permanent solution was found.

dmra
Posts: 613
Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:21 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by dmra » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Not sure if those would work at school. Mind you though given how unconcerned Teddy's school seemed to be about one of their pupils undergoing gender reassignment surgery over a weekend I'm not sure Abby's would be too bothered if she claimed she wanted to permanently cosplay as a sex demon.

Gotoh
Posts: 3965
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by Gotoh » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:41 pm

FuzzyFace wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:26 pm
Based on what? "Stepped in it this time?" People say things like that all the time without meaning, "It worked the first dozen times I tried it!"
More like: 'Now I've really gone and done it (this time).'

You can argue that doesn't necessarily mean Teddy has a history of breaking and entering, but it still implies that it wasn't his first time making a decision that could potentially land him in hot water. Point being, the scene establishes that he isn't sensible, because his curiosity overrules his rationality.

User avatar
Error of Logic
Posts: 5678
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:43 pm

Re: Dangerously Chloe 8-03-18 Get Out of My Life

Post by Error of Logic » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:43 pm

dmra wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:32 pm
Not sure if those would work at school. Mind you though given how unconcerned Teddy's school seemed to be about one of their pupils undergoing gender reassignment surgery over a weekend I'm not sure Abby's would be too bothered if she claimed she wanted to permanently cosplay as a sex demon.
Or Teddi could have called to say Abby had the mother of influenza attacks and needed to stay at home. Confining the little idiot to the house would not be easy or ideal, but it would have bought Teddi some time to find a solution.

Post Reply