Dangerously Chloe 5-03-18 Go to Your Room

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Error of Logic

Re: Dangerously Chloe 5-03-18 Go to Your Room

Post by Error of Logic »

The difference between a man in handcuffs and a succubus in a net you should keep in mind, is that one of them can claw/chew through their restraints.

dmra

Post by dmra »

Eventually perhaps but the net was enough to subdue Chloe for a while at least until Tandy and Gabrielle turned their backs on her. Which is another example of why they really shouldn't be allowed out without adequate supervision.

As monster hunters go this lot do seem to be remarkably amateurish.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Error of Logic: Exactly.
dmra wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:49 pm
Is it actually that implausible that whoever is arranging for the training of the Artemis and Apollo Academy students might have some means of holding prisoners?
The only metion of imprisonment was when Faith said they'd detain Cerise until they banished her to the nearest hell dimension. But it's unknown whether it's something only she can do, or if it has to be done by the faculty.
dmra wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:49 pm
Neither of the two links says anything about who is training them and why.

• first link: Tiff (about Faith): "She's a monster hunter in training, so she's technically on the side of good."
  • second link: Faith (to fade-out girl) "Of course it does, I fight evil!"
TCampbell also created a thread where he specifically says Artemis Academy is a school of heroines.
dmra wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 1974 9:49 am
And on your point about the Montreal thing I don't think we ever will find out the answer to that or to questions about the status of the monster hunters.
Probably not, but it's still frustrating to think about. I really wish EC/MC had been able to continue 'cuz there's still so much we don't know.

capicoli

Post by capicoli »

Fluffy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:17 pm
Yeah - but how much a care giver has Teddy been since becoming a girl? He seems have switched his focus from keeping an eye on his sister to leaving her in the custody of two demons (one accident prone, the other a notorious trickster) while on his quest to 'save Chloe' - and I use that term loosely, as Teddy seemed to need the occasional reminder of Chloe's condition, due to his repeated distractions via sexy times.

Chloe may have been the one to take Abby to a place that resulted her in current condition, but given Teddy is well aware of how unreliable Chloe is (based on her past efforts in helping others), he is far from guiltless in this situation.
Chloe would murder him if he stayed home and couldn't take Abby without their dad figuring out something was up.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

capicoli wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:50 pm
Fluffy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:17 pm
Yeah - but how much a care giver has Teddy been since becoming a girl? He seems have switched his focus from keeping an eye on his sister to leaving her in the custody of two demons (one accident prone, the other a notorious trickster) while on his quest to 'save Chloe' - and I use that term loosely, as Teddy seemed to need the occasional reminder of Chloe's condition, due to his repeated distractions via sexy times.

Chloe may have been the one to take Abby to a place that resulted her in current condition, but given Teddy is well aware of how unreliable Chloe is (based on her past efforts in helping others), he is far from guiltless in this situation.
Chloe would murder him if he stayed home and couldn't take Abby without their dad figuring out something was up.
Given how busy he was getting his groove on with Pandora; I honestly wonder of Lance would have even noticed if Abby went missing for a few days. I mean, he didn't seem to give any thought to making out with Pandora right in front of his kids, having really noisy sex every night, or balk at the idea at bringing strippers home so he and Pandora could indulge in a foursome; so, him taking notice of his kids not being around wouldn't have surprised me in the least.

Besides, I'm not talking about that specific moment in time - I'm talking about 'before' Lance showed up and what took place after he left. Teddy has been neglecting his guardianship duties for the most part - up until now. when he ordered Abby to her room.

When was the last time you can think of that Teddy did what he was expected to do (i.e. - watch over his little sister)?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Fluffy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:04 pm
Given how busy he was getting his groove on with Pandora; I honestly wonder of Lance would have even noticed if Abby went missing for a few days. I mean, he didn't seem to give any thought to making out with Pandora right in front of his kids, having really noisy sex every night, or balk at the idea at bringing strippers home so he and Pandora could indulge in a foursome.
None of which is Lance's own doing, he's Pandora's thrall. It'd be like blaming Daisy and her friends for being under Teddy's control.

dmra

Post by dmra »

?[/quote]

The only metion of imprisonment was when Faith said they'd detain Cerise until they banished her to the nearest hell dimension. But it's unknown whether it's something only she can do, or if it has to be done by the faculty.
  • first link: Tiff (about Faith): "She's a monster hunter in training, so she's technically on the side of good."
  • second link: Faith (to fade-out girl) "Of course it does, I fight evil!"
TCampbell also created a thread where he specifically says Artemis Academy is a school of heroines.

[/quote]

So imprisonment was a possibility but not one this pair monster hunters gave much thought to. It was either let Chloe go or kill her on the spot. Not exactly many shades of grey in that thinking.

And that's a school of "heroines" who happily practice or tolerate torture and learn the burning point of witches. Presumably the latter isn't intended to be entirely theoretical knowledge.

Really I question who exactly are the evil ones in this. Putting that aside your own quote shows even Tiff thinks faith is only "technically on the side of good". And that is Tiffany who comes from a family of monster hunters and who goes to a school for monster hunters so probably isn't going to look too closely at exactly how "good" monster hunters are and how "evil" are the monsters,

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Gotoh wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:38 pm
Fluffy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:04 pm
Given how busy he was getting his groove on with Pandora; I honestly wonder of Lance would have even noticed if Abby went missing for a few days. I mean, he didn't seem to give any thought to making out with Pandora right in front of his kids, having really noisy sex every night, or balk at the idea at bringing strippers home so he and Pandora could indulge in a foursome.
None of which is Lance's own doing, he's Pandora's thrall. It'd be like blaming Daisy and her friends for being under Teddy's control.
The point is - given how enthralled he is, I doubt he would have noticed their absence due to being so focused on screwing his new wife.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Fluffy: Fair point.
dmra wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:48 pm
So imprisonment was a possibility but not one this pair monster hunters gave much thought to. It was either let Chloe go or kill her on the spot. Not exactly many shades of grey in that thinking.
Actually, it show judiciousness. For example: after hearing Abby's story, Tandy and Gaby realized their assessment of what was going on at the DeCarlo Household was wrong and they admitted it. So they were willing to chalk the whole thing up to a misunderstanding (on their part) and let Chloe go.

Also, recent events have caused AA to rethink their policy against cryptids. Previously, it was 'kill-on-sight'. Now, they seem willing to at least determine whether they pose an actual threat first. Tiff used to try to stake Layla, but now she knows Layla is friendly. One of the bonus stories in Vol.4 even shows Tiff has been allowing Layla to feed off her regularly.
drma wrote:
And that's a school of "heroines" who happily practice or tolerate torture and learn the burning point of witches. Presumably the latter isn't intended to be entirely theoretical knowledge.

If they're gonna hunt cryptids, it stands to reason they'd need to know their weaknesses and the most effective ways to exploit them.
drma wrote:
Really I question who exactly are the evil ones in this. Putting that aside your own quote shows even Tiff thinks faith is only "technically on the side of good".
That's because Tiff is a horrible judge of character. Regardless what she thought of Faith, the comic has repeatedly shown otherwise.

This is the same girl who thought Layla had it in for her, when the thought of harming Tiffany never crossed her mind. Layla went out of her way to protect her.

Yet, she thought Mel was heroic, when Mel gave 0 f**ks about saving anyone because she was content to be the wicked witch. Which is why she had to repeatedly be roped into it.

dmra

Post by dmra »

I'm not sure that practicing torture and learning the burning point of witches really qualify as needing to know the "weaknesses" of their enemy and the "most effective way to exploit them". Unless witches are in some way considerably more fire resistant than the rest of humanity you'd think a large pile of wood and a match would be more than enough to exploit their tendency to burn when a flame is applied to them. And torture is a pretty questionable thing to do to anyone which is why it's largely banned in the civilised world.

So Tiff isn't always the brightest spark.Having said that she was right about Faith exploiting the power of the school (just not about her doing it consciously). Something which the rest of the monster hunters in training as well as their trainers completely failed to notice. Not something again which says a great deal for their professional ability and expertise. Which amateurishness bordering on incompetence might explain why half trained teenagers are going on their own monster hunting and not doing a particularly good job of it.

Based on what we've seen so far I'm not sure what average life expectancy of somebody trained at Artemis Academy is but I'm willing to bet it's not very high and I for one wouldn't want to give them life insurance.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Fluffy wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:04 am

That alone should be some insight on how the relationship between Lance and his ex was - that she would automatically believe Chloe when she mentioned Lance going to a hotel with someone she thought was his wife.

If you're going to believe the word of a stranger that easily; there was suspicions to begin with.
So Lance was probably cheating already? Still, Chloe made Teddy's mom's sister sleep with Lance, which probably destroyed that relationship too. I mean, they haven't really talked about the status of that relationship.

Still, because of how their parents broke up, Teddy and Abby are alone most of the time. I still don't understand why Lance doesn't hire a guardian or why Teddy's mom doesn't interact with her kids anymore. I can understand not wanting to see Lance, but that's no reason to ignore the kids.
Last edited by Cortez on Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dmra

Post by dmra »

I would say presumably their schools are aware of the situation and are satisfied with the arrangements but then again Teddy's school failed to show any kind of interest when he managed to change to a girl overnight so they really don't see to be the types that care.

To be honest I think the mum disappearing is more about getting authority figures out of the way than it is to do with any kind of narrative realism. Having parents around would only complicate the situation between Teddy and Chloe so she disappears while Lance only seems to be around to provide money and the occasional appearance to give Pandora a way to make Teddy's life miserable.

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

*drags hands down face*

i remember a time...a clear time.....a time when we were all wondering where this comic was going to go with hope and interest..like pages 1-10

but now i feel like all i see on DC forum is high levels of frustration and low-key anger..i wish i had the time to sit all of yall down one at a time and just ask "how is DC letting you down and what are you feelings and thoughts on the matter" so that we can all just get it out in a big catharsis.

to the comic. *facepalm* *facepalmx2 combo*

dmra

Post by dmra »

Speaking for myself I was actually starting to enjoy the comic a lot more again because we moved away from the sexy fun time exploits of Teddi and got onto something more interesting.

Personally I'd be a lot happier about the strip if it got back to being more about what it originally started as

"It follows Chloe, who now attends a succubi-only school in Hell itself! She’s brought back to earth after Teddy, a geeky high school kid, mistakenly makes a pact with an ancient statue that should doom his soul to Hell. But Chloe's found a loophole: she can save him if she helps him fall in love fast. Will she succeed, and what will her teachers from Hell think of this?"

rather than being a MA3 style sex comedy with added supernatural elements.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

dmra wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 pm
I'm not sure that practicing torture and learning the burning point of witches really qualify as needing to know the "weaknesses" of their enemy and the "most effective way to exploit them".

And torture is a pretty questionable thing to do to anyone which is why it's largely banned in the civilised world.
That's two different things. The first is about exploiting weaknesses, the other is used for interrogation, which is what Gabrielle is being trained for.

On that note: "in training" is the operative phrase, because they're still learning. That's why Tiff and Faith both said AA students relish the opportunity to put what they've learned into practice (3rd panel and 4th panel). Practice drills and combat exams won't give them the same benefit as actual combat experience.
drma wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:46 pm
she was right about Faith exploiting the power of the school (just not about her doing it consciously). Something which the rest of the monster hunters in training as well as their trainers completely failed to notice.
Exploiting something requires intent + awareness, neither of which was the case. Had Faith known what was happening at the time, she wouldn't have taken advantage of it, because we were told by the editor and the character herself how she feels about that sort of thing.

But I do agree that the faculty should have at least been keeping tabs on her, given the abnormality of her level of power and whether she could fully control it.